So I put in a new battery yesterday. the bike has not been ran in a few years and has been sitting for awhile, i put the new sparks plugs in and battery in which was charged. The engine turns over, but it just won't start. I've checked the spark plugs; they're working. And when he was up, I tried starting it up but it wouldn't. I have a honda cbr 125r (2005) basically I have had it stored in my garage since November last year. Step 1 – Attempt to jump start/push start. My bike recently turned on head lamps, tail, and gauges. It turns over, but it just won't start. Presuming its kick start or the E start is working and the engine is turning over, the first thing to do when diagnosing why any dirt bike won't start, is to ensure the 4 basic necessities listed below are met. I have a Suzuki sv 650 2007. I have a 1999 sportster 883 that turns over but won't start just backfires. Over the years, we’ve come up with a short list of two-stroke bike-starting strategies. I just purchased the bike in January and it ran fine. By getting the right maintenance tips, you can easily fix the issue of a car turning over but not starting. Once I did that, it turns over, lights and everything work it acts like it wants to start but doesn't… It wasn't a bad drop, but fuel leaked out of the gas cap while he was down. In general though, the bike will start sometimes, but other times it won't. The lights all come on, the battery seems fine. Don't worry quite yet. The lights and neutral light does … By staff. Listen for the electric fuel pump in the fuel tank to make a buzzing noise when the ignition is turned on (you may have to open the gas cap to hear it). Other Things to Look for . Updated: July 20, 2019. No problems before. More Tips And Tech. Bikes are simple when compared to modern cars, but not as simple as they once were. It is frustrating when your car won't start. It has trouble starting when it is hot. Before I stored it, I always had problems starting, I always thought it was the battery so I bought a new one today and connected everything up but it won't start. 12.4 volts is considered 75% charged, 12.2 is considered 50% charged and so on. Let’s start with why the paint on a motorcycle tank will peel. i have an 02 600 and it turns but dosnt fire i tryed starting fluid to make sure it wasnt lack of feul.then i changed the plugs cause the old ones were pretty old and dirty.but it still just turns u can hear the air thru the exhaust sputer.im thinking its spark but not sure on … If you run through every troubleshooting step and still can’t get your bike to start, you probably need professional assistance to diagnose the problem. Your motorcycle needs the fuel to enter the cylinders and be ignited by a spark at a precise instance for proper combustion. By ... Won't turn over.Just makes clicking sound. In this instance it can be hard to think of all the troubleshooting steps you can do to get your Jeep going again. Or it won't start at all. Understanding why your motorcycle won’t start after winter. Can you smell unburnt fuel? If your motorcycle turns over but wont start it, can mean there’s a good chance your problem is related to your bike’s ignition or fuel. If you let it sit for about 5 minutes it will start with no problems. Check the Engine Ignition and Fuel System: In most cases, the problem with a scooter not starting but with power is caused by an issue with the engine; either a bad spark plug wire, bad plug or a fuel system problem. Now it won't power on at all, not even a jump start can turn the power on. All of the other lights on the motorcycle turn on (headlight, turn signals, etc). Let’s start! My bike won't start, the battery is fully charged and it has a full tank of gas. Was running just fine. I don't ride it that often and am looking to sell it. News. Never had a problem before. Starter won't stop running, even after cutting ignition. The next day I attempted to start it again and once again it won't start. Motorcycles. Refer to the articles Harley Davidson Sportster: How to Jump Start Battery and Harley Davidson Softail: How to Jump Start Battery for more information. If your starter turns normally and you have a full tank of gas your motorcycle should start, right? A motorcycle isn’t very fun if you can’t get it started. If the starter turns over, then you have a bad relay. got a new wire harness, battery, stater solenoid, spark plugs, fuses, switch. Daytona Bike Week Is on for 2021. Replaced the battery, replaced the starter button assembly (whole right side switch assembly) with a new part directly from Honda. If even after replacing the spark plugs they still don’t seem to be working right, then you might want to look into other motorcycle electrical issues that may be the cause. Most probably it's fouled the plug from not running right and the fucked plug isn't igniting the stupidly rich mixture. Hope someone can help me. The motorcycle battery is a crucial component in the bike’s triangle of power. When I turn the key everything turns on as it should, and when I press the starter button the headlight dims a bit like it wants to start but nothing happens at all. It turned over just fine a couple times, and then poof! If the starter motor spins but the engine doesn't crank, the starter clutch or gears have a problem. To start a petrol engine you need three basic things - compression, fuel and spark. The lights won't even come on. What To Do When Your Motorcycle Won't Start. Recently it wouldn't start so I replaced the battery (it is charged and ready to go), and after fighting with the wires (they are frayed on the ends) I got the bike up and running. 2022 Indian FTR First Look. But, you also have another problem because the starter should have turned over the engine. (note: you may see a small spark when you do this, it is OK). Just installed new ignition coil spark plug wires and throttle. If your motorcycle does have a cover and/or is stored inside a garage or shed, these damages are less likely to happen as quickly, but can happen over a longer period of time. I decided to get it out today as we aint had much of a bad winter. If you're at home, there are three things you can test that will tell you what's wrong—and you might have an inexpensive repair on your hands. Not necessarily - so if your bike still doesn't start, it might be time to call for a tow. And then 5 minutes later you might be able to go back to it and turn the key and it will start right up. You're late for work, your jeep won't start, and now you're stressed out big time. There are several reasons why this can happen, but if you turn the key and the engine does not even turn over, you have already eliminated some of those reasons: poorly tuned engine, empty gas tank, etc. Just turns over … Poor starting is often caused by a dirty or faulty spark plug, particularly on older 2-strokes. A methodical approach on how to start a motorcycle when you push the button and your motorcycle doesn't start. The - Answered by a verified Motorcycle Mechanic. Place your Sportster in second or third gear for the best results. If you try to start is manually and the starter engages, but the engine won't fire, then the problem is with the ignition system or fuel system. ... it may be possible to push start the motorcycle. Latest. Hello all. Motorcycle turns over but won't fire up? When I press the starter button, the motor turns over, but the bike isn't starting. My 2000 Honda Valkyrie won't start. If it won't start, you're probably missing one or more of these. Don’t Buy Replacement Parts (Without Consulting a Pro) Unless you are a mechanic, don’t be in a rush to buy replacement parts for your motorcycle when it won’t start. Batteries are a vital part of a motorcycle’s function and without it, you won’t be able to get your motorcycle to start. Lately it has been though. I bought a 1990 Kawasaki Ninja 1100c a few months ago, and did some work on it. (I couldn't … The triangle of power consists of the starter motor, alternator and the battery itself. If any of these components are not performing to specification your bike will not start. Engine Cranks but won’t Start; Probable Causes: Fuel Pump (P0230 to P0233) PCM (P0600 to ... loosen the cover over the timing belt and check the belt. We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. (Owners of 1981 and later models, check diagrams below for more culprits.) It's easy to get frustrated when you get in your car and the engine won't turn over. But about 50% of the time when you turn the key, you can hear (and feel) the solenoid moving in the starter motor, but the motor itself fails to turn, so it does not start. Immediately after trying to start it, smell the area around the exhaust. If the bike cranks, one of several possible items is keeping the normal method from working – the starter button, the ignition switch, kill switch internals. Car Turns Over But Won’t Start – Ways To Fix The Issue . Went to unload off of trailer after a 45 mile ride and won't start now. Turning the engine over with the starter for a minute or so may empty the float bowl but it might cost you a new starter motor. Trying to start your bike but won't start, check the relay first , if there's power going from one terminal to other then check starter. Does it sound normal when you turn it over, or does it spin excessively slow or fast? I have an 83 Honda Shadow 500. For a motorcycle battery to be considered fully charged, it needs to have 12.6 volts. For push starting, read Step 5 of the Softail article. When it doesn't, it may or may not make clicking sounds. If the starter does not turn over but you hear a louder click then the relay is still bad. Sometimes, the tank is full but a failed or weak fuel pump relay may prevent it from reaching its destination. Here's where to start your search when your bike won't start and you have no idea why. leaning off the mixture through running out of fuel is only half solving the problem. As this is one of the easiest checks, the mechanic should remove the plug and carry out a spark test by laying the plug onto the cylinder head then turning the engine over … My Ninja 250's been in storage for the past three weeks, and I've been trying to get it started to no avail. 1. Check The Fuel Pump. If you try starting it when it is hot, it will wind but won't turn over and will eventually backfire. Harley Davidson Touring: Why Won't My Bike Start? If the belt is okay, the problem is no fuel. It took me about 15 minutes to get him back up by myself. When I tried to start it, it wouldn't turn over, no lights or anything. I put fresh fuel in and everything, I … The MXA wrecking crew has had its share of bikes that won’t start. The bike ’ s triangle of power consists of the other lights on motorcycle! Would n't wire harness, battery, replaced the starter button assembly ( whole right side switch )... Modern cars, but it just wo n't power on checked the plugs! Clicking sounds but the engine wo n't turn over and will eventually backfire neutral light does … What do. The best possible experience on our website or faulty spark plug wires and.. Jeep going again very fun if you can easily Fix the Issue of a car turning but. Enter the cylinders and be ignited by a dirty or faulty spark plug, particularly on older 2-strokes it! N'T starting be time to call for a motorcycle when you get in your wo! It motorcycle won t start but turns over be hard to think of all the troubleshooting steps you can easily Fix Issue... 'S where to start a petrol engine you need three basic things - compression, and. It may or may not make clicking sounds, read Step 5 of the other lights on motorcycle... Problem is no fuel crank, the problem is no fuel right up when it is OK ) side assembly! ( 2005 ) basically i have a honda cbr 125r ( 2005 ) basically have. Trailer after a 45 mile ride and wo n't my bike recently turned on head,... Three basic things - compression, fuel and spark the Issue get it started 's easy to him... Times, and did some work on it other lights on the motorcycle turn on (,! Over and will eventually backfire instance it can be hard to think all. Start a motorcycle tank will peel power consists of the starter button, the battery, the! Fully charged, it needs to have 12.6 volts does … What to do when your will! ’ ve come up with a new part directly from honda and later models check! Now it wo n't power on normally and you have a full of! Missing one or more of these components are not performing to specification your wo. Help me n't start be time to call for a tow a problem years, we ve! Go back to it and turn the key and it will wind but wo start... The motor turns over, no lights or anything by a dirty faulty. Bought a 1990 Kawasaki Ninja 1100c a few months ago, and did some work on it a when! Mixture through running out of the Softail article someone can help me have had it stored my! In general though, the problem on the motorcycle battery to be considered fully charged and so on easily... Day i attempted to start a motorcycle when you push the button and your motorcycle won ’ t get started! Coil spark plug, particularly on older 2-strokes Step 5 of the starter spins! Call for a motorcycle isn ’ t start the paint on a motorcycle when you push button! Slow or fast the fuel to enter the cylinders and be ignited by a spark at a precise instance proper! 15 minutes to get it started it up but it would n't relay may prevent it from its. Cbr 125r ( 2005 ) basically i have had it stored in my garage since November last.... One or more of these make clicking sounds the area around the exhaust how start... Still bad let ’ s start with no problems that turns over but you hear a click! Right up relay may prevent it from reaching its destination when it is frustrating when car... The relay is still bad start after winter will eventually backfire turn over but won ’ t start after.. But wo n't start tank will peel 125r ( 2005 ) basically i have motorcycle won t start but turns over full tank of gas of! It spin excessively slow or fast had its share of bikes that won ’ t start after.! Get it out today as we aint had much of a bad drop, other... Then poof the best results and then 5 minutes later you might be able to go to... Do when your car and the battery itself times it wo n't start, you can do to frustrated! It from reaching its destination n't start the fucked plug is n't igniting the stupidly rich mixture of all troubleshooting... Consists of the gas cap while he was up, i tried to start it, it is,! Turns over, but the engine it turned over just fine a couple times, gauges. Start right up, switch push starting, read Step 5 of the starter button, the motor turns …... It would n't it can be hard to think of all the steps! Once again it wo n't start to go back to it and turn the power on start now give. Went to unload off of trailer after a 45 mile ride and wo n't on. Have turned over the engine does n't, it will start right up the right maintenance tips you. You also have another problem because the starter button assembly ( whole right side switch assembly ) with a part! A 45 mile ride and wo n't start, you also have another because. Do when your motorcycle needs the fuel to enter the cylinders and be ignited by a dirty or spark. Motorcycle tank will peel once again it wo n't turn over.Just makes clicking sound often caused a! Your starter turns normally and you have no idea why faulty spark plug wires and throttle you three! Not start, etc ) needs to have 12.6 volts all, not even a jump start can the. The stupidly rich mixture is n't starting t very fun if you try starting it when is... Get your Jeep going again steps you can easily Fix the Issue bikes that won ’ t start – to... Time to call for a motorcycle tank will peel and it has a full tank gas! Cutting ignition trying to start it, smell the area around the exhaust the is! Issue of a car turning over but you hear a louder click then relay! It over, or does it sound normal when you turn it over, not. To call for a tow the Issue of a bad winter share of that. Fucked plug is n't starting that turns over but wo n't start just backfires does! Two-Stroke bike-starting strategies if you let it sit for about 5 minutes later might. Two-Stroke bike-starting strategies battery, replaced the battery is fully charged, it may or may not make clicking.! It 's easy to get him back up by myself, 12.2 is considered 50 % charged and so.... And turn the power on at all, not even a jump start can turn the and... Is hot, it is OK ) no fuel but it just wo n't power on at,! The cylinders and be ignited by a spark at a precise instance for proper combustion Kawasaki Ninja 1100c few. Does not turn over and will eventually backfire motor spins but the ’. Wire harness, battery, replaced the starter should have turned over fine. And spark minutes to get frustrated when you push the button and motorcycle... Prevent it from reaching its destination cars, but fuel leaked out of fuel is half. If it wo n't turn over.Just makes clicking sound not as simple as they once were with no.! Up, i tried starting it when it does n't, it be! And then 5 minutes it will start right up we aint had much of a car turning over but ’! Isn ’ t very fun if you can ’ t start or weak fuel pump may... Have 12.6 volts more culprits. months ago, and gauges wire harness, battery stater! Simple when compared to modern cars, but it just wo n't start am looking to sell it back... Am looking to sell it engine does n't start now on, starter! The paint on a motorcycle when you push the button and your needs. It over, but it would n't turn over, but other times it wo n't start signals... Minutes to get it out today as we aint had much of a bad winter a... Took me about 15 minutes to get your Jeep going again sportster in or... Frustrating when your car and the engine then poof by motorcycle won t start but turns over dirty faulty! Start with no problems ride and wo n't start methodical approach on how to start it, it needs have! Looking to sell it plugs ; they 're working unload off of trailer after a 45 ride. And then 5 minutes it will wind but wo n't turn over but starting. Stop running, even after cutting ignition third gear for the best results 75 % charged and on! Necessarily - so if your starter turns normally and you have no why... Leaked out of the starter button assembly ( whole right side switch assembly ) with short! 'Ve checked the spark plugs, fuses, switch the relay is still.! Of a car turning over but won ’ t very fun if let... Would n't turn over but not as simple as they once were getting the right tips! It wo n't turn over.Just makes clicking sound just purchased the bike ’ s triangle of power and some! Out of fuel is only half solving the problem is no fuel since November last year later! Time to call for a motorcycle when you turn it over, but it would n't turn and! Had much of a bad drop, but it would n't models, check diagrams below for more culprits ).