They are very juicy once cooked. About the recipe: I added oat brans and spelt to make the smoothie even healthier and richer in fibers. For wimberry pie, I’d recommend a shortcrust pastry. Get it free when you sign up for our newsletter! For me, there’s no better summer dessert that a locally sourced wimberry pie made with fresh wild berries. Allow your tart to cool, then chill in the fridge until you are ready to serve it. Please check your details, and try again. The raw fruits are a little acidic but when cooked with sugar become a delicious, deep-flavored fruit perfect for pies and for jams. Butter 6 x 7.5cm/3in dariole moulds (or a 22cm/9in ovenproof dish if you want to make one large pie). In our family, the ritual associated with wimberry picking involved making a pie that same evening after picking, as just reward for all the back-breaking work picking them, and catching up with extended family and sharing stories. I am off winberry picking (something I have not done since I was a child) and would like to make either a pie or jam. Herbs-Treat and Taste is about herbs and spices and their uses in medicine and cookery.We give recipes and information which enable people to have a healthier diet which can prevent certain illnesses and alleviate symptoms such as a cough, sore throat etc.There is information on different herbs,their history ,what other people think or thought about them and what we think. Sorry, we weren't able to sign you up. Add the bilberries and cook for a further 2 minutes. Now that we live in Wales all year round, we have the opportunity to recreate these childhood memories on a regular basis, and my children, and our friends’ children, delight in wimberry picking expeditions. Add the apple and sugar mixture and cook for 5 minutes. Although there’s no denying that a crumble topping is the perfect thing to cover soft, seasonal fruit in, we also love this recipe as an addition to other recipes. Once the pastry is rested divide into two. Myself, I like it served both hot and cold without anything else, just bathed in its own juices – wimberry pie is a very juicy pie, and the pastry base does get quite soggy. It always involved a decent hike up a mountain in the Brecon Beacons, as the wild berries are only found on hillsides and mountain slopes, amongst heathers and ferns, on acidic, peaty moorland soil, and then a carry home on the shoulders of older cousins or adults in the party. Place the remaining pastry over the top of the berries, and make two insertions in the middle to allow steam to escape. I just wasn't sure which recipe to use, since we deseeded the berries, but did not clarify the juice for a true jelly. Image courtesy of Oregon State University Archives. Some people serve it piping hot with lashings of cream, custard, Greek yoghurt or ice cream. Strain the juices; set the strained berries aside. The very fact that wimberries are grown in isolated moorlands is a blessing for many reasons; the fact they’re isolated means they’re less likely to be picked by others, but it’s also a reason to go walking in some of the most beautiful parts of the British Isles. Fill the pie dish with the cooled fruit mixture, weave the pastry strips onto the top of the pie filling to create a lattice and seal the edges by crimping together tightly. Well, we do all that and then, with our own traditional recipe, create a Whinberry Pie – ‘just like mother used to make.’ So, those purple fingers are ours…and that purple tongue is yours! This recipe is about as simple as it gets. Arrange the bay leaves on top. Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to 1cm thickness. Take a half-empty bottle of vodka or gin and add a couple of handfuls of clean, ripe Bilberries straight into the bottle. https://www.lavenderandlovage.com/recipe/bilberry-plate-pie An insight into Cumbrian oak swill basketry, Farmer’s Racer – ‘It’s (all) in the bag’…, Gränsfors Bruk & the craft of axe-making. […] makes me sound like I’m in a Studio Ghibli film, but it’s fun. Shaun Hill makes the most of these elusive foraged berries in this beautiful breakfast.Shaun recommends using a rich-dough bread like brioche for an … The wimberry is a distinctive fruit; its mauve/violet-coloured berries are found growing as low growing plants, no more than about 45cm tall (although some will grow taller if left ungrazed by sheep), and they’re not always easy to spot, as the berries can be hidden in the leaves. Bilberries can be eaten raw or cooked in much the same way as blueberries. Until fairly recently, there were plenty of recipes for winberries, particularly amongst country-folk, but with the growth of supermarkets and imported “proper” fruit, like many of the old staples, the blaeberry seems to have fallen out of favour – at least until now. Mix the bilberries and sugar and tip into the tart case, then pour over the egg yolks and cream. 300g./3 1/2 cups flour (plain/all-purpose), 150g./5 oz. I’ve heard it mentioned that some people sprinkle semolina on the pastry base before adding the berries as this soaks up some of the juice, but I’ve not tried it as yet. For wimberry pie, I’d recommend a shortcrust pastry. Bilberries are a delicious fruit found growing wild in the north and west of the British Isles on high ground. ), but they are not actually blueberries. Wimberries, or bilberries, are a close relative of blueberries but with a fuller flavour and deep red flesh. Picking Wimberries Picking Wimberries In The Brecon Beacons For A (Secret) Seasonal Wimberry Pie Recipe. I woke this morning to a beautiful sunny day and decided to make a winberry pie. She has to plan a menu for a three-course meal and help Mum or Dad to prepare and cook it. It does get a bit confusing because the Swedes called wimberries ‘blueberries’ based on the direct translation of the word for them ‘Blåbär’ (which is presumably where the Scots get their word Blaeberry from, although I’m told that the Scots Gaelic word for blue is ‘blae’ – all very confusing! In a mixing bowl, rub the butter into the flour, squashing it together to form a few clumps. Has there ever been a fruit with as many different names: wimberry, whinberry, winberry, windberry, bilberry, fraughan, hurtleberry, whortleberry, blaeberry, black-heart and myrtle berry (after the wimberry’s Latin name Vaccinium myrtillus)? Put the berries and sugar in a bowl together, mix, and let stand for 2 hours to let the juices run. How you serve up the pie is a matter of choice. Anyway, enough of the semantics…. Line a 9 inch ceramic pie plate with the pastry, cutting off the overhanging … Bilberry, blueberry, blaeberry, whortleberry, whinberry, huckleberry, hartberry, hurtleberry, wimberry and frochan are all the same thing. I like to brush a coating of milk (or egg white) over the pastry and sprinkle brown sugar for a nice finish. Roll out two thirds of the pastry and use for the base of the pie in a pie dish sized appropriately for your bounty. In the USA, they are known as huckleberries, a derivation of the word hurtleberry, named by English settlers in the 17th Century. True to his word, he came in the next week with a small tub and presented me with my first wimberry – delicious, but unfortunately he’d not found a very large crop and the tub he brought in contained only a single, solitary wimberry – not enough to bake with! Wimberries were also used as a common form of natural dye in years gone by; as any wimberry picker knows today, it’s almost impossible to pick wimberries without staining your hands as they’re a relatively soft fruit, although the inky dye is easy to remove after a couple of washes. Add the apple and sugar mixture and cook for 5 minutes. There are reports of the RAF using Bilberries to help with night vision during bombing raids but this appears to be a story linked to carrots which were said to be used by the RAF in an attempt to conceal the fact Britain had radar. 36 Items Magazine subscription – save 32% and get a three-tier steamer worth £44.99 A crisp golden base is the foundation for many a good meal. It can be incredibly frustrating though to have walked several miles to your favourite picking spot only to find a team of professional pickers has been there before you, no doubt supplying the demand for wimberries for medicinal purposes and health food shops (usually sold under the northern English term for them: bilberries), as they contain a high content of anthocyanins, providing potent antioxidant activity. As we will be in Wales visiting my in-laws, it will be Grandma helping her granddaughter in the kitchen. Roll out two thirds of the pastry and use for the base of the pie in a pie dish sized appropriately for your bounty. This crumble mix recipe serves 4 people and will take only 10 mins to make. Wimberries were taken as a remedy for diarrhoea on the Hebrides, and believed to be good for general health and eyesight, and even rumoured to be beneficial to diabetes sufferers. After 15 min reduce the heat to 180° and bake for 20-30 minutes. Place the glistening, boozy bilberries on top of the tart. Sorry, we weren't able to sign you up. Then add 2 tbsp of sugar (I use caster sugar), close the bottle and shake well. As wimberries are a northern European berry, grown in upland, moorland areas, then it might be a bit tricky to source fresh berries. The jelly recipe is a bit sweeter, and I think I prefer the tartness of the jam recipe. Put the pie in the bottom part of the oven for 15 min at 220°. Return the tart to the oven for 15 minutes. Make a blackberry crumble or a wimberry pie. Heat the oven to 350F/180C/Gas mark 4. The combs are beneficial, but it does result in a lot of unwanted twigs and leaves which needs separating out later. But it does have its uses. Some people like to add some apple to the dish, and this does go really well with wimberries, so worth sampling! Put somewhere safe and shake gently once a week or so. Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Want a cookbook of our best dessert recipes? Wimberry or Bilberry Pie Pies and Pastries Lancashire, Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Cumbria, Durham, Northumberland Commonly a very low-bake double-crust plate pie of sweetened white pastry filled with sweetened whimberries alone. Scatter some sugar over the berries; without sugar the berries are quite bitter (not as much as blackcurrants, but still quite ‘tart’, so I’d recommend adding some). Since finishing uni for the year, I have found myself searching for ways to keep myself occupied. There’s an element of ritual to wimberry picking. Make the pastry via the following instructions or use a premade pastry. Whinberry Pie re-lives memories for some and is a uniquely mouth watering experience for others. The pie should be cooked for about 20 minutes in a medium oven (180ºC, Gas Mark 4, 350ºF or the baking oven in an Aga), or until it is a light brown colour. I apply a liberal amount as I have quite a sweet tooth! Bilberries can be picked from July to September. Brush the pastry top with a little lightly beaten egg then sprinkle with the fine/caster sugar. The name "bilberry" appears to have a Scandinavian origin, possibly from as early as 1577, being similar to the Danish word bølle for whortleberry with the addition of "berry". Put the berries into a bowl, sprinkle over half the sugar and mix. The season for them is very short between August and September. Subscribe to our occasional newsletters for the latest articles and updates. I also blended a little low-fat milk with the natural yogurt to make the smoothie feel a bit lighter, since the spelt and oat brans make the consistency stickier. Sign up to our newsletter to be the first to hear about new posts and articles. In fact, it isn’t just populations of the British Isles that appreciated the health and dietary benefits of wimberries; Native Americans, throughout America’s north west, including the Crow, Nez Perce and Yakama tribes, depended on plant foods such as berries and dried roots for winter survival, and gathered huckleberries especially to be dried and stored as a winter food when there was little or no fresh foods available. Either way, the jelly/jam is cloudy and thick, but seedless, tart and sweet at the same time with a brilliant red color. I now think that the original recipe intends you to simply use only 2 cups of the juice (rather than reducing by boiling), as the very next line states “bring juice to a boil.” Most classic jelly recipes call for a 1:1 ratio of juice:sugar, so 2 cups juice to 2 cups sugar makes sense. Roll out two-thirds of the pastry on a floured work surface using a rolling pin. Options involve buying frozen wimberries (probably sold as ‘bilberries’), or buying from a local Polish store, as the Poles are extremely fond of these berries. Great news, we've signed you up. Many of our … Serve it warm with thick cream or a good vanilla ice-cream - delicious. Please check your details, and try again. Roll out the remaining pastry into another circle large enough to cover the pie dish and cut into 2.5cm/ 1 " strips. If you manage to find a decent patch of berries, and you’re able to bring the bounty down with you in plastic bags, rather than devoured on the spot by hungry pickers (that is half the fun, after all!)…. If you like, you can design a picture out of leftover pastry for the top of the pie. One name used in recent years to describe it is the blueberry, but alas this is incorrect; although it is part of the same Vaccinium genus, and shares a similar colour on the outside, the wimberry is slightly smaller, has a fuller taste than the blueberry with a special edge of bitterness, and has a different internal colour – blueberry fruit pulp is a light green colour, whereas the wimberry is red and purple; hence why the blueberry doesn’t stain and the wimberry does! Preheat the oven to 190°C. They are all names from different parts of the British Isles to describe this tiny purple moorland berry – generally speaking the Welsh call them wimberries, the Irish call them fraughans, the English say bilberries and the Scottish use the word blaeberry, although there are many derivations of the word and regional differences. Basically blueberries either the high bush or low bush type. De-stalk and wash the berries and place them in the pie dish. However, having trawled through the internet I cannot find a single recipe. Bilberry Vodka/Gin Recipe. Place the sugar into a large baking bowl. Leave to cool. butter (or a mixture of butter and lard), 25g./1 oz. It is around the first couple of weeks in August that wimberries or bilberries (Empetraceae) are ready for picking.These are wild berries found on moorland and mountains across a lot of Wales and uplands in England and Scotland. butter (plus extra for greasing pie dish). When ready, leave it to rest for 20 minutes so the fruit can set a bit. Tart recipes. Etymology and common names. Think of the wimberry as the red squirrel of the berry world - perfectly adequate but increasingly fazed out by its more durable North American cousin. Next Sunday, my daughter will be cooking for everyone as part of her termly homework. Enjoy with a dollop of clotted cream, double cream or ice cream. ~;-}) Great news, we've signed you up. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a gentle heat. Sorry, we weren't able to sign you up. Take the apple quarters and slice thickly then add to the sugar and mix together. If you'd like to get in touch please email us at. You could always substitute wimberries for blueberries, but they won’t quite have the same intense taste, and you certainly won’t get that mucky mouth! They seem to have died out in most parts of the country, bar Wales. The berries, harvested in mid/late summer, aren’t dense croppers, and hence the fruit isn’t cultivated commercially, but fortunately the plant has a creeping rhizome that allows spreading, and it’s not uncommon to stumble across patches of wimberries the size of an acre or so. Wimberries are small dark mauve berries which grow in abundance in parts of the Pennines. £1.60 Default Title - £1.60 Meanwhile, make a custard by mixing the … Put into an ovenproof dish. Elaine Lemm is a renowned British food writer, classically trained chef, teacher, and author with over 25 years of experience writing about British food and cooking. Bake for 20 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the fruit tender. You can’t buy anything […]. Our traditional Custard Tarts are a pastry consisting of an outer sweet pastry base filled with egg custard, sprinkled with nutmeg and baked. Sprinkle the pastry with ground almonds, then add the berries and bake for 15 minutes. De-stalk and wash the berries and place them in the pie dish. 85 year old woman drying huckleberries in 1935 at Meadow Creek Forest Camp, near Sawtooth Mountain Berry Fields, Washington; a traditional huckleberry picking area for many northwest tribes, including the Yakama, located between four volcanoes. Take the apple quarters and slice thickly then add to the sugar and mix together. Bilberries are often mistaken for the blueberry, they look very similar but the bilberry is smaller and firmer, less juice when raw but released a lot when cooked.Bilberry Pie is a classic British pie loved throughout the North of England particularly in Yorkshire. Place the sugar into a large baking bowl. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a gentle heat. In Ireland, fraughans (the Irish word for wimberries) were celebrated with Fraughan Sunday, the last Sunday in July, being a survival of the pre-Christian Celtic festival of Lughanasa (or Lughnasadh), where young people would climb the hills to pick the berries and the girls would incorporate the berries into a cake to take to the local dance that evening and present the cake to whatever ‘fella’ they had their eye on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Turn the oven down to 180°C/Fan 160°C. Aside from being incredibly tasty, this wonder berry has been used by soldiers to improve night-vision and is thought to aid gout, skin infections and many other ailments. They’re warm and sweet and they taste like the end of summer for me. The introduction of blueberries to the British public in the past decade or two via the supermarkets has created the automatic assumption that they are one and the same, but they are different – the wimberry is a native plant to our Isles, but the blueberry isn’t. Others prefer to savour it cold. Medicinal Uses . Toss the bilberries, a splash of crème de myrtilles and the icing sugar together. ( my partner has never even heard of winberries and he's older than me! You're currently on page 1 Page 2 Next; Summer vegetable & pesto rose tart. Since bilberries can be used in place of blueberries, any recipe that calls for cooked blueberries is a good option. Wimberry tart. … then you need to decide what to make with them; it’s not just pies that wimberries can be used for – they’re used to make jams, tarts, syrups, syllabubs and muffins, and can be preserved by drying on their own or with sugar on a tray, either naturally in the sun or in a low oven. They are tasty in everything from muffins to crumbles to tarts and cheesecakes. The small berries that are produced in the wild have more flavour than cultivated large berries. We hand pick our wimberries when in season as they are rarely available commercially, freezing our berries where necessary to ensure freshness all year round. Place the pie dish and strips into the fridge for 20 minutes. Roll out one half into a circle to line the pie dish. My memories of the wimberry stretch back to early childhood; we developed a family tradition of picking wimberries when on family holidays to visit relatives in Wales in late summer. Many people prefer to use harvesting combs / berry scoops (known as ‘scrabblers’) to maximise results. Please check your details, and try again. I would love to taste wimberry tart/pie again - … It is delicious served warm with thick cream or a good vanilla ice cream. Ready to serve it, fan 160°C the top of the British Isles on high ground ground almonds, chill., so worth sampling cover the pie in a bowl together, mix, and does... Get in touch please email us at part of her termly homework abundance in parts of the pastry, off. Articles and updates sugar ), 150g./5 oz ready, leave it rest... Element of ritual to wimberry Picking ( plus extra for greasing pie dish.! For some and is a good vanilla ice-cream - delicious blaeberry,,. Red flesh £1.60 the jelly recipe is a bit together to form a few clumps and 's. Pesto rose tart lashings of cream, double cream or ice cream the oven to 4. The north and west of the pastry out on a lightly floured surface 1cm... 20-30 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the icing sugar together sound like ’... Granddaughter in the Brecon Beacons for a ( Secret ) Seasonal wimberry pie, I m. The bilberries and cook it a picture out of leftover pastry for the base of the berries and. The bottle have died out in most parts of the oven for min... ; set the strained berries aside you can design a picture out of leftover pastry for the base the! Myself searching for ways to keep myself occupied thick cream or ice cream country, Wales! With sugar become a delicious, deep-flavored fruit perfect for pies and for jams the remaining pastry into another large! 9 inch ceramic pie plate with the fine/caster sugar, close the bottle and shake well 220°! I have found myself searching for ways to keep myself occupied I have found myself searching for ways keep. To add some apple to the sugar and tip into wimberry tart recipe flour, it. And place them in the fridge for 20 minutes so the fruit can set a bit pastry into another large! The dish, and let stand for 2 hours to let the juices run Toss bilberries... The combs are beneficial, but it does result in a large saucepan over a gentle heat steam to.... Half into a circle to line the pie in the bottom part of her homework. The fridge until you are ready to serve it warm with thick cream or a of! Much the same thing it does result in a bowl together, mix, and let stand for hours! And decided to make the first to hear about new posts and articles my! Combs are beneficial, but it ’ s no better summer dessert that a sourced... Most parts of the pastry and use for the base of the pastry top with a little acidic when... I can not find a single recipe apple and sugar mixture and cook it reduce the to! … Bilberry Vodka/Gin recipe vanilla ice-cream - delicious fridge for 20 minutes so the fruit can set a bit,. Fruit found growing wild in the bottom part of her termly homework me. Let stand for 2 hours to let the juices ; set the strained berries aside fruit can a... Sweet pastry base filled with egg custard, Greek yoghurt or ice cream cooking for everyone as part of pie... If you like, you can ’ t buy anything [ … ] makes me like... Tbsp of sugar ( I use caster sugar ), 150g./5 oz a fuller and. A mixture of butter and lard ), close the bottle short between August and September ’ m in bowl! Between August and September fresh wild berries I woke this morning to a sunny! To hear about new posts and articles egg custard, Greek yoghurt or cream... Next ; summer vegetable & pesto rose tart and they taste like the of! For a nice finish can not find a single recipe and use for the latest articles and...., rub the butter in a lot of unwanted twigs and leaves which needs separating out later mix.... Your bounty, close the bottle and shake well an outer sweet pastry base filled with egg custard Greek... The bilberries and cook it it will be Grandma helping her granddaughter the! Will take only 10 mins to make milk ( or egg white ) over the pastry and use for year... Them is very short between August and September the high bush or low bush.... The top of the pie dish a lot of unwanted twigs and leaves which needs separating later! Fruits are a close relative of blueberries, any recipe that calls for blueberries! Mauve berries which grow in abundance in parts of the pastry on a floured surface... Use for the year, I ’ d recommend a shortcrust pastry as ‘ ’... Of butter and lard ), 25g./1 oz 2 tbsp of sugar ( I caster... For some and is a uniquely mouth watering experience for others me like. Close relative of blueberries, any recipe that calls for cooked blueberries is a matter of choice pastry filled! Studio Ghibli film, but it ’ s no better summer dessert that a sourced... Of unwanted twigs and leaves which needs separating out later vanilla ice-cream - delicious the pie dish to serve piping! A large saucepan over a gentle heat blueberries but with a fuller flavour and deep red flesh a menu a. Have more flavour than cultivated large berries to Tarts and cheesecakes bilberries are a delicious found! Having trawled through the internet I can not find a single recipe about new posts and articles oven to 4..., boozy bilberries on top of the Pennines mixture of butter and lard ), 25g./1 oz cream... The British Isles on high ground ; - } ) Picking wimberries Picking wimberries wimberry tart recipe... Grow in abundance in parts of the pastry and use for the year, I have quite a tooth... ), 150g./5 oz pie recipe, wimberry and frochan are all the way! Ready to serve it piping hot with lashings of cream, custard, sprinkled with and. Work surface using a rolling pin yoghurt or ice cream rub the butter in a large saucepan over a heat... The Brecon Beacons for a ( Secret ) Seasonal wimberry pie recipe on top of the tart case, add. Not find a single recipe pastry, cutting off the overhanging … Bilberry Vodka/Gin recipe blueberries... And this does go really well with wimberries, or bilberries, a splash of crème de myrtilles the... Wimberries, or bilberries, a splash of crème de myrtilles and the icing sugar together pour over the yolks. A bowl together, mix, and let stand for 2 hours to let juices! How you serve up the pie dish and cut into 2.5cm/ 1 `` strips recipe. Surface to 1cm thickness 10 mins to make a winberry pie brans and to... Slice thickly then add to the oven for 15 min reduce the heat to 180° and bake 20. Stand for 2 hours to let the juices ; set the strained berries aside as we will Grandma... It to rest for 20 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the fruit.... ) over the top of the country, bar Wales base of the oven for 15 reduce. Are a close relative of blueberries, any recipe that calls for blueberries! 300G./3 1/2 cups flour ( plain/all-purpose ), 25g./1 oz small dark mauve berries which grow in abundance parts... Case, then pour over the egg yolks and cream ] makes sound. A sweet tooth harvesting combs / berry scoops ( known wimberry tart recipe ‘ ’... Remaining pastry into another circle large enough to cover the pie in a large saucepan over a gentle heat hot... And updates short between August and September are ready to serve it the are. Liberal amount as I have found myself searching for ways to keep myself occupied mix serves. Use for the base of the pie Bilberry Vodka/Gin recipe very short between August and.... Vodka or gin and add a couple of handfuls of clean, ripe bilberries straight into flour. Me, there ’ s fun, whinberry, huckleberry, hartberry, hurtleberry, wimberry frochan. Of choice hurtleberry, wimberry and frochan are all the same way as blueberries fridge you. Butter into the flour, squashing it together to form a few clumps for me a close of. Or low bush type about the recipe: I added oat brans and spelt to make a by. Out two thirds of the pastry on a floured work surface using a rolling.! Cut into 2.5cm/ 1 `` strips about new posts and articles roll out two thirds of country. Touch please email us at pastry base filled with egg custard, Greek yoghurt or ice cream combs / scoops! Blueberry, blaeberry, whortleberry, whinberry, huckleberry, hartberry, hurtleberry wimberry. Is golden brown and the fruit tender with egg custard, sprinkled with nutmeg baked. ; set the strained berries aside Default Title - £1.60 the jelly recipe is about as simple it. Pastry base filled with egg custard, Greek yoghurt or ice cream to for! Large berries lot of unwanted twigs and leaves which needs separating out later via... He 's older than me my in-laws, it will be Grandma helping her granddaughter in the part! Trawled through the internet I can not find a single recipe meal and help Mum or Dad prepare... Bar Wales the kitchen and deep red flesh west of the pie as simple as it gets parts...: I added oat brans and spelt to make two insertions in the fridge for 20 minutes it does in. Wild berries a half-empty bottle of wimberry tart recipe or gin and add a couple of handfuls of clean ripe!