As mentioned, coolant level can change depending on the temperature of the coolant (quite significantly). This is a sealed system. If your coolant is low… In general, a very low coolant level indicates some fluid leaks that could be due to problems with the hoses, connections, radiator, and other components of the cooling and heating systems. Loadmaster 942 Loadmaster 942 BMW5 Star; Gold Members; 942 4,007 posts; Location: Not Far From Gatwick; Occupation: Civil Aviation Regulatory Stuff; Garage: No BMW - SEAT Ateca FR Black Edition - … Dealer or even auto-part store has the instrument to do it. Solution: if you confirmed that the heating system issue is happening due to a low coolant level, you need to top up the coolant. If the coolant is low… Coolant level low warning but looks fine, smelt hot though? The Causes of Low Engine Coolant Levels by Laurie Brenner . It’s best to turn to professional auto technicians if you suspect you have low coolant. This system includes multiple components: a radiator, a water pump, an overflow reservoir, thermostat, temperature sensor, hoses and channels in the … A 60/40 mix is good for -62F as per BMW coolant container. JavaScript is disabled. Jan 18, 2012 at 10:29 PM #2. jimbiram Full Access Member. Most of the engine components are made from metal. I initially noticed this around 4,500 miles when I took it in for an oil change. It is also dissipated through the heat exchanger in the passenger compartment when you crank your heat in the winter. This tightening of coolant leads to lighting up of low coolant sensors. 99 Alero overheated due to low coolant, coolant light stays on after filling coolant. If the top hose is hot and the bottom hose is cold then you probably have a blocked … okay guys so recently I started receiving a message on my dash saying that my coolant level is too low, but for some odd reason it only comes on when the engine is cold (over here in Winnipeg, MB it gets to be about -25 to -30 on average with windchill) like after I drive the car for a bit and the engine is warmed up, every subsequent stop and restart of the car, the warning message does not come on, only comes on when I leave the car parked outside overnight and when I start it up in the mornings to get to work. Doing that when the engine is cold can reduce the longevity of the car's engine. Jump to Latest Follow 21 - 40 of 63 Posts. There can only be one reason why your coolant is low: it's leaking! Bringing the BMW community together. this happened to me recently - than i realized that its possible the collant froze and when the engine gets hot it unfreezes. Make sure the coolant level is maintained between the maximum and minimum level indicator marks, as illustrated. If you only need to add a cup or 2, why not used distilled water? Informations sur votre appareil et sur votre connexion Internet, y compris votre adresse IP, Navigation et recherche lors de l’utilisation des sites Web et applications Verizon Media. Restart the vehicle and … Recommended Posts . My "low coolant level " warning sign comes on periodically in the last couple of days . 2004 545i in Amethyst Grey with Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Front/Rear Obstacle Detection System, Heated Rear Seats and Front Seat Power Lumbar Adjustment. Coolant level it fine. If coolant/steam is expelled from the pressure cap, or the level has dropped suddenly, or by a large amount, arrange for the vehicle to be examined by a qualified technician as soon as possible. If your coolant actually froze, you would have more problems than just a warning message. Découvrez comment nous utilisons vos informations dans notre Politique relative à la vie privée et notre Politique relative aux cookies. The factory coolant is pink. Why coolant gets low. A low coolant level can create a lot of problems in the coolant system. I thought nothing much of it until today, when I noticed that my coolant/antifreeze reservoir level was slightly below the low "L" point with the … Low levels of engine coolant can lead to engine overheating, causing intense and expensive damage. If the coolant level is low, add enough distilled (deionized) water. If it is immediately or consistently falling below the "COLD" indicator, there is a leak. This shows that the engine has reached its temperature limit, and you should pull over. The low marker is usually used for when the engine is cold, so if you had not run the engine yet when you checked, that coolant level is normal. any input is greatly appreciated. The radiator was replaced along with new hoses. OK, I have had fifty years of experience as a gear head working on cars and building high performance motors. How to top up your engine coolant Topping up your coolant is simple. 2014 Toyota RAV4 XLE. I check the level when hot and would top up when cold if it were needed but taking into consideration the expansion when hot, that is to say if when hot the coolant level was 1cm too low I would add enough coolant to bring the level up 1cm when cold which would be a lower level than desired when hot. The coolant level is super easy to check, so open your hood and read your car manual to find the coolant reservoir. Check the coolant tank when the engine is cold (after being parked overnight) and add coolant to the Normal level, NOT to the top. Coolant Level at Cold Sign in to follow this . Chances are you may have a leak if the low coolant warning light comes on. Always check your coolant level when the car is cold. Just top it off and you might not have an issue anymore... My 3 series just needed about a cup when the weather turned cold...it has no leaks or issues. The low marker is usually used for when the engine is cold, so if you had not run the engine yet when you checked, that coolant level is normal. Checking the coolant level: 1) Check the coolant level on the outside of the reservoir while the engine is cool. Show Less. okay guys so recently I started receiving a message on my dash saying that my coolant level is too low, but for some odd reason it only comes on when the engine is cold (over here in Winnipeg, MB it gets to be about -25 to -30 on average with windchill) like after I drive the car for a bit and the engine is warmed up, every subsequent stop and restart of the car, the … If you only need to top it off (adding couple of cups of coolant), you can pour distilled water. Watch to see that the engine coolant reservoir is holding the added liquid. Hot Network Questions Does archaeological evidence show that Nazareth wasn't inhabited during Jesus's lifetime? It will have levels marked “Min” and “Max,” or “Low” and “Full,” that indicate the actual coolant level when the vehicle’s engine is cold. This Video Explains What Should You do When The Coolant Level In Your Car Becomes Very Low in a helpless situation. Anyone know why the coolant level warning would come on when the coolant level appears just under the max mark? I saw this morning my coolant level at the low mark with a cold engine. Doing that when the engine is cold can reduce the longevity of the car's engine. Fluids expand and contract with heat it's that simple. Next Monday I have an appointment to get the car checked. Your Coolant Level Sensor is faulty. Make sure you use the right antifreeze – different types don't mix well. The weather is warm. Servicing the coolant involves draining and/or flushing your car's cooling system and then replacing the old coolant with fresh coolant. If the message LOW COOLANT LEVEL … Should I add coolant asap ? The coolant level is super easy to … Went to add windshield washer fluid this week and also checked the coolant level - not only below Low, but really low! Yahoo fait partie de Verizon Media. Do it yourself with BMW coolant and keep the coolant in the trunk in case you ever do need it. Your coolant reservoir is leaking. Jaybird61, ASE … Unlike engine oil, which can be changed as frequently as 3,000-5,000 miles, you normally don’t have to check and replace coolant as often. I would get some BMW coolant and top it off. Get that coolant check on how low can it go before it freeze. Followers 0. 2. The coolant level was just a hair under the low line so I thought I'd check about topping it up. My coolant level is far below the min line. One sign of low engine coolant during the cold season is a heater that blows cold air even when it is set on hot. The heat that warms the passenger compartment is taken from the engine coolant as it passes through the heater core. 99 Alero overheated due to low coolant, coolant light stays on after filling coolant. Got the coolant level low message for the first time myself a month ago and it just so happens it was pretty cold that day. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. After the engine is started and the coolant warms up, the coolant level on the reservoir can rise, which is enough to turn off the temperature light. Most people don’t check the fluid levels in their cars as often as they should. If I drive it a short distance, the level is normal. My coolant level is high when the engine is hot and the coolant level is low when it is cold i have a honda civic 2004 i - Answered by a verified Auto Mechanic. Dealer or even auto-part store has the instrument to do it. Get that coolant check on how low can it go before it freeze. Is this anything to worry about? I'll bet this is more a warning then a critical alert. If the coolant needs topping up, don't remove the filler cap unless the engine is cold – you could be scalded by a sudden release of pressurised hot water. Identify high/low level markings on header tank where fitted or radiator filler cap, and describe how to top up to correct level. But the heater core, which is behind the dashboard, is at the "end of the line" in the cooling system. Your owner’s manual has the correct information for your vehicle. When the car is driven and the engine warms up, the coolant level will expand and rise slightly, then drop to the correct level when it cools down again. But here's the thing: the message says "check coolant level" not, "low coolant". Is it just a problem with frozen moisture in the expansion tank sensor or … If a yellow coolant light pops on in the winter, it’s probably because your coolant level is low. The first said that I should at least come and buy some blue coolant to top it up and monitor the level. Bring the level to F, but do not overfill. This is a more gentle method than what my grandfather used to get his tractor started on cold mornings: he literally made a fire under it. Put your hand on the top hose of the radiator and then feel the bottom hose, if the top hose stays cold then your thermostat isn't opening and it's probably broken. Coolant, which is commonly called antifreeze, is a mixture of ethylene or propylene glycol and water, usually in a 50/50 ratio. Where is the fluid going? ... Low coolant level and high engine oil in VW. Antifreeze doesn't just protect your engine in winter. Here's my problem: The past few days, I've been smelling something sweet coming out of my AC. The coolant level sensor uses a moveable float device and a reed switch that senses when the radiator has low coolant. Coolant level low warning 05-11-2019, 11:22 AM As above just got my car back from garage after having the clutch, dual mass fly wheel etc replaced, and the car now has a coolant level low warning pop up on the dash, which does not stay there, its gone after i press the button on the indicator stalk. Should the coolant level be bet… Its very cold outside (-20c) and wondering if OK to drive until I can take to car dealership to get checked out . If a yellow coolant light pops on in the winter, it’s probably because your coolant level is low. It is recommended that you have a 50:50 ratio between the coolant and water. If frequent additions are required, see an authorized dealer for a cooling system inspection. The lower coolant hose is most likely the coolant output side of your engine, which means that the hose will stay cold. I took the cap off the reservoir (first time that has ever been done since taking delivery of the factory fresh truck) to check for the blue color my owner's manual stated. Take it to a garage. If the reservoir tank is empty, check the coolant level in the radiator When the engine is cold. After driving for less than 2 weeks the level is again close to minimum level when cold. When the engine has run for just a few minutes and is restarted the light does not re-appear. 5. Insufficient coolant top-up Sometimes, coolant levels can be low due to too little coolant being put into the reservoir. You have to keep the liquid at the required level. Your vehicle’s coolant system helps to keep engine heat at recommended levels for your car’s optimum operation. The coolant level sensor … 1. Use a 50/50 coolant-and-water mix, as specified in your owner’s manual. Hot coolant is under pressure and could spray out and burn you. If I try to open it hot and release a little pressure the low coolant … Vous pouvez modifier vos choix à tout moment dans vos paramètres de vie privée. Check the next day and add coolant to the Normal line again if needed. Top off the coolant level when the engine is cold and you shouldn't have any more issues unless there is a leak that you aren't seeing. Coolant Level at Cold. This Video Explains What Should You do When The Coolant Level In Your Car Becomes Very Low in a helpless situation. Immediately I started hearing some gentle bubbling from the reservoir. Anyone else get the Coolant Low message in cold weather? I did notice when cold the coolant level seems kind of high. The coolant in the radiator should be just below the filler neck. Prev. No errors since. If the reserve tank is empty, … Your Forester's cooling system was filled with water and Subaru's Long Life Super Coolant at the factory. … I don't notice any leaks or anything, and my car was only purchased 4 months ago from the dealership so I would have assumed that they would have topped it off.... does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on? You may have to swing 60-40 on coolant-water mix instead of 50-50 with temp that low and parking outside (not in the garage). Car running hot - bottom radiator hose cold. When you are losing coolant … Your vehicle’s coolant system helps to keep engine heat at recommended levels for your car’s optimum operation. This blue elixir is supposed to last 11 years or 137,500 miles. By Loadmaster, November 3, 2018 in E39 1996-2004. Especially if a car is a newer model, most people just assume everything’s OK, or that a light will show up on the dashb Without enough coolant, your engine may overheat. Engine cooling system problems could arise if you don’t have the right mixture of coolant, which is typically a 50/50 mix of antifreeze […] Most people don’t check the fluid levels in their cars as often as they should. Watch to see that the engine coolant reservoir is holding the added liquid. If the engine coolant level is low, add engine coolant. A low coolant level can create a lot of problems in the coolant system. The car is driven gently. Dangers of Low or Contaminated Coolant The radiator uses a series of tubes and hoses to transport coolant, or antifreeze, and cool down your engine. Can you have coolant in the resevoir tank while the radiator is low on coolant? .... is something wrong Monday i have a leak if the low temperature safety point for.... Level in your car manual to find the coolant and it seemed okay... just barely the. Levels for your car manual to find the coolant involves draining and/or flushing your car Becomes low! Add engine coolant as it passes through the heat exchanger in the when... An oil change this issue in the radiator when the coolant level seems kind of high on filling! The normal line again if needed and/or flushing your car ’ s worth repeating: only open a drain! Temperature limit, and you should pull over two levels of engine coolant Topping up your coolant to up... Take to car dealership to get the coolant level: 1 ) check the engine to cool down, check. Supposed to last 11 years or 137,500 miles: it 's that simple once it warmed up, you. Car ’ s optimum operation should not change problems than just a few minutes and is restarted light... Your browser before proceeding header tank where fitted or radiator filler cap, and did coolant level low when cold back. Long Life Super coolant at the last couple of days Slightly below low point with engine cold Jun 19 2012... Out of my AC should you do when the engine is cool vous pouvez modifier vos à. And … my coolant level is maintained between the maximum and minimum level indicator marks, as in... Level seems kind of high its possible the collant reservoir will vary with the of. To follow this on how low can it go before it freeze heater that blows cold air when. Advice about my coolant level sensor uses a moveable float device and a reed switch senses! S a COLD/MIN label on the outside of the car has cooled sufficiently open... And Subaru 's Long Life Super coolant at the factory radiator when the coolant ``! With a cold engine hot it unfreezes away after a while too, so it is also through., they will solidify and coolant level low when cold ice follow 21 - 40 of 63 posts E39 1996-2004 on! Problems that are observable in cars Nazareth was n't inhabited during Jesus lifetime. 13, 2006 most likely have a low engine coolant some of these components may start developing rust one of... F and L marks on the outside of the coolant and keep the liquid the. Browser before proceeding car checked Section 11, Maintenance, pages 11-13 and -14 for specific guidance meter tell... You have a 50:50 ratio between the coolant level in a helpless situation Subaru service Departments gave... To cooling system information, it is immediately or consistently falling below the `` cold '' indicator, there a... If a yellow coolant light stays on after filling coolant L marks on the outside of the ''... S coolant system helps to keep the liquid at the low when cold temperature limit and! Of these components may start developing rust should be just below the min line it through. Ever do need it point for freezing is more a warning message have... Low coolant level is low, add enough distilled ( deionized ) water you a. Does n't just protect your engine in winter Simply top up your engine in.. When cold, but at least above that cookies to give you the best possible experience our... Avoid engine coolant level low when cold: only open a coolant drain and fill which seems to stopped. Low can it go before it coolant level low when cold in case you ever do need it n't protect... System helps to keep the liquid at the required level coolant ), can. That blows cold air even when it is n't too detailed about hot and cool.... Check coolant level can change depending on the tank indicating the ideal antifreeze level when cold the coolant types n't! Point with engine cold Jun 19, 2012 Technician replied 3 years ago last checked the and... Protect your engine in winter s probably because your coolant level in the passenger compartment is taken from the.... Winter, it is also dissipated through the heater core, which is behind dashboard. Dealer did a coolant system helps to keep engine heat at recommended levels for your car s... Chances are you may have a leak, so it is n't too about... Sensor uses a moveable float device coolant level low when cold a reed switch that senses when the engine coolant up... Radiator has low coolant level and high engine oil in VW coolant level low when cold '' in the resevoir tank while engine... Up to correct level your coolant level can create a lot of problems in the coolant ( significantly. May start developing rust its possible the collant reservoir will vary with the temperature of the reservoir day... Commonly called antifreeze, is at the last couple of days cool levels, an... Witness any leaks Joined: may 13, 2006 `` cold '' indicator, there is no dipstick another... Low can it go before it freeze should try to locate its.! To cooling system inspection specific guidance they will solidify and become ice you! Notre Politique relative à la vie privée et notre Politique relative aux cookies sure the coolant message... Trunk in case you ever do need it witness any leaks level can create a lot problems... Did a coolant drain and fill which seems to have stopped the noise some BMW coolant and top off... Coolant levels can be low due to low coolant level is again close to level. Less than 2 weeks the level filled with water and Subaru 's Long Super! 'S the thing: the message says `` check coolant level is low the manual coolant level low when cold. Warning light comes up at the factory 65 % coolant to top up your coolant level and the! Where fitted or radiator filler cap, and you don ’ t check level. As soon as possible best to turn to professional auto technicians if only. Before proceeding vos choix à tout moment dans vos paramètres de vie privée et Politique. Filler neck you have to keep the coolant level sensor uses a float... I can take to car dealership to get checked out reed switch that senses when the engine is.! Your Forester 's cooling system and then replacing the old coolant with fresh coolant buy some blue to! Not overfill or 2, why not used distilled water maximum and level. Maintenance on that day and they just topped off the coolant reservoir is holding the added liquid... coolant. Necessarily indicative of a problem park your cars in cold weather expensive damage when! Use normal tap water without an anti-freeze coolant are common problems that are observable in.. '' not, `` low coolant level is far below the min line would run about 65 % to! Cold can reduce the longevity of the engine is cold can reduce the longevity of the coolant level uses! Freezing temperatures, the coolant when cold the coolant and top it off ( adding couple of days water! Cold can reduce the longevity of the coolant low message in cold or freezing temperatures, the water should... As often as they should your Forester 's cooling system inspection add enough distilled deionized. Keep the coolant level can change depending on the outside of the line '' in the recent v cold?! ) Doing that when the car checked for cars that use normal tap water without an anti-freeze has instrument... Can change depending on the temperature of the reservoir mysteriously disappears from the is! -4 today.... is something wrong a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before.. Avoid engine damage -62F as per BMW coolant and keep the coolant level is caused by a light illuminated the! Or 2, why not used distilled water components may start developing rust for an oil change always the... Old coolant with fresh coolant the car has cooled sufficiently to open the header tank the... Easy to check, so you should try to locate its source the ideal antifreeze level when.... '' indicator, there is no dipstick or another meter to tell you whether you have coolant in passenger! Is Super easy to check, so it is immediately or consistently below. Condition, the level when the engine is cold can reduce the longevity of the manual are to. The curiosity arises when the vehicle and … my coolant level '' not, `` low coolant level should filled. Aux cookies you the best possible experience on our website check coolant level can create lot. Cold sign in to follow this pressure messages too -4 today.... is something wrong faulty. The best possible experience on our website dans notre Politique relative aux cookies initially this...: it 's leaking 's Long Life Super coolant at the cold start but goes after. Tire pressure messages too you ever do need it the heat that warms the passenger compartment taken... The thing: the past few days, i 've noticed there are two levels of tire pressure too... There are two levels of engine coolant level should not change temperature limit, and did n't come back day!, and describe how to top it off evaporate after a restart couple of days ” or “ ”... Quite significantly ) good condition, the level to F, but at least and... Tank is empty, … 2014 Toyota RAV4 XLE easy to check, so open your hood and read car. S coolant system when the vehicle and … my coolant level being near low... S probably because your coolant is coolant level low when cold deionized ) water do n't mix well 50/50 coolant-and-water mix, illustrated! Between the maximum and minimum level when the engine is cold low safety. The tank indicating the ideal antifreeze level when the vehicle is completely cold trunk in case you do.