Craigslist is a perennial favorite for deals on used camper shells, but finding a shell on Craigslist which fits one’s exact truck model, generation, and with the right color to match is like finding a field of four-leaf clovers. Our mid/high-rise caps are with you for the long haul and large haul. Without a doubt, the hottest trend in the overland world is the lightweight, pop-up truck camper. For this reason, many contractors and commercial shell owners opt for thick-walled or otherwise reinforced aluminum shells, which can feature integrated cargo or ladder racks capable of holding far more than the typical 150 pounds dynamic load limit of sport racks from Yakima or Thule. The 180 is a taller than cab high shell; the XR part of the model name … These campers and toppers are gaining traction especially with the younger ‘get the heck out of the city and into the woods crowd’. An honest assessment of one’s needs should begin with the question of how often the camper shell will stay mounted, the remaining lifespan of one’s vehicle, and the utility it will provide to one’s lifestyle. While the simplest mode of camper shell living is a sleeping pad and bag on one side of the bed with all one’s gear pushed to the other side, this is not the most efficient or smooth usage of space. While they are doubtlessly better than nothing at all, a basic aluminum shell offers more security, weatherproofing, and  options for roof racks and other accessories at nearly identical cost. Auto Repair. Conversely, most camper shells which feature swing-up rear windows and use the truck’s existing tailgate allow for outsize cargo to rest on the raised tailgate while the open window can be secured with a bungee as far up as it needs to go. After a year or so of traveling and switching it to 2 other trucks purchased in the following 5 years we came to consider it one of the best investments we had ever made in our lifetime. At the time we really had to consider whether or not $2600 was something we could let go of under the circumstances. Rear window replacements may run upwards of $500 on some premium models. See different models of camper tops, toppers, and shells for the Ford F150 pickups. Thank you for your time. Most 6-foot mid-size truck beds are able to fit a full-size mattress in this way, and full-size trucks should have no issues at all fitting full-size mattresses. Else, a no-frills aluminum model provides more of the benefits of a camper shell without a significant increase in cost, and with a longer lifetime owing to sturdier construction and fewer moving parts. This arrangement has the benefit of having low to no impact on fuel economy and providing great rear and lateral visibility while driving. Utilize 15% more space than a cab-high model and save on fuel with stunning aerodynamics. They also offer a camper body design that is ready to assemble. Part of your identity. Camper shell sleeping setups can be as simple as a sleeping bag and pad, or can feature elaborate builds with futon mattresses, slide-out drawers, and integrated heaters. Great article! Weatherproofing is the most common issue for camper shells, which may leak in heavy rain. I have taken to calling these “shells” by the term “topper” to differentiate from a real truck camper. The article mentions a way to get to Dolly Sods in the winter…, In the Spotlight: 2018 AT Overland Summit Truck Topper, Four Wheel Campers Opens Dealership in Texas, Jeep Gladiator Summit to Debut at Overland Expo East, Hellwig Introduces Helper Springs for 2019-2020 Silverado Sierra 1500 Pickups, Restoring a 1964 Alaskan Pop-Up Truck Camper, New Truck Camper Label Plates for the TCA Rig, Twin Recliner in Host’s New Yukon Camper a Big Hit, For Sale: 2007 Lance 1055 – 2004 Ford F350 ($40,000), 2021 Truck Camper Adventure Rally Enrollment Now Open, Get Outfitted: Overland Essentials for Truck Camper Rigs, Top 5 Truck Camper Stabilization Storage Products, Essential Tips for Buying a Used Truck Camper, The Camper Shell is a Great Lightweight Alternative, Building Your Truck Camper Like an EarthRoamer, Arctic Fox-Wolf Creek Truck Camper 6-Pin Umbilical Wiring, Review of the Renogy DC50s Combi Battery Charger, Truck Camper Adventure Caravan Tackles Bradshaw Trail, For Sale: 2019 Host Mammoth – 2019 Ford F550 ($170,000). A fun adventure in a beautiful place can be ruined by a terrible bed the night before. Shells without windows are more secure and remove the risk of a rock or other projectile shattering what can be a shockingly expensive window ($300 to $500 for a factory-replaced opening rear window), but complicate driving. It doesn’t matter if it’s a slide-in or a chassis-mount, a hard-side or a pop-up, if it’s a truck camper and it’s carried on a truck, we cover it. Note that for all shells, rooftop dynamic load ratings may be different, sometimes significantly, from static load ratings. All aluminum roofs are bent to the shape of the Tig welded aluminum roof. It is manufactured for commercial tasks. The more windows, the less coffin-like a camper shell will feel from the inside and the better the driving visibility will be. By comparison, a color-matched fiberglass shell with a roof rack ranges from $2,000 to $3,000 depending on the size of one’s truck bed and additional accessories. For near the cost of a new hard-shell tonneau, a camper shell provides far more utility and convenience for a number of purposes. Spend enough time ogling trucks and one will see a fair number sporting a shell atop their bed. The actual structure was a sandwich core about 1 inch thick which provided exceptional insulation and was strong enough to support my 200 lbs when I had to go topside to install the Fantastic Fan. Spice up your family camping with these 5 homemade DIY camper shell plans that you can build by yourself on your vehicles to add a sleeping bed space and all the luxury that will provide ease of travel and camping. Sleek yet durable, our caps are engineered to maximize space and protect your cargo. Toyota pick up camper shell. The Model 180 mid-rise cap encloses 20% more space than a cab-high cap, and has a full-height ... View Details. It is important to consider whether one will be able to drive with the rear of one’s camper shell open or not—cargoes like watercraft, furniture, and lumber often require more length than even long-bed trucks can offer. C16-09209 16 inch 38Lbs/169N Gas Shocks Struts for Leer ARE ATC Camper Topper Rear Window Truck Cap Camper Shell Canopy, Pack of 2PCS. In either case, a few upgrades make camper shells comfortable for short or even long-term trips. We included it along with our Runaway Range Runner in our trade in with D&H for our first truck camper. In 2010 when we purchased, the standard ARE MX model was about $1300 (with window & interior options options). Zachary Hesse is a Massachusetts native, writer, and former commercial tuna harpooner. This of course is just the shell and not the peripheral components such as plumbing, wiring or interior carpentry. Which camper shell is right for your Tacoma? Many of the smaller companies use similar if not identical molds as the larger companies, and dealer support, warranty, and honest testimonials may be more difficult to find. Doors and windows are also available. The search volume is 2500 p/m. I've ordered uniform nameplates from galls.com…, Mike--good article.....I have had great luck by going to a local trophy shop in San Diego.....They make labels for all…, I don’t have awnings attached to my 96 Bigfoot 3000 because they provide very little shade, they block the view…, MAJOR UPDATE FOR WINTER EXPLORES DOLLY SODS! Base price: Upon request. Shipping and local meet-up options available. I have searched and viewed the threads and links I could find but still have not seen a tall shell for the Titan. Drilling and adding cargo rack rails oneself is easier on a fiberglass shell than an aluminum one, and this is a potential for great savings where some cargo rack options can add $500 or more to the price of a camper shell. The simplest thin-wall models may not be capable of supporting a roof rack, but weigh the least of all hard-side camper shell options. When it comes to choosing high quality, professional grade commercial truck tops, truck camper shells, truck caps, truck canopies, and truck toppers, Access Manufacturing, Inc. is an industry leader with over 40 years of experience in product design, manufacturing, and installation. Bel-Air Camper Shells (714) 534 - 1373 Up front prices are easy to find and listed on this website. This is the SnugTop XTR model. Before upholstering, note that bare fiberglass shells direct from the factory tend to have a significant amount of fiberglass dust on their interior surfaces which will ruin this bonding. The downsides of a cab-height shell are posed by their low interiors and smaller size; while this makes fitting into parking garages easier, one may not be able to accommodate common cargoes like furniture or bulky building supplies. Adventure is a concern own of course is just the shell installer truck Group... Of camper tops from great brands like Chevrolet, Ford, shell & more made to.!, one should consider the anticipated remaining lifetime of one ’ s camper shell, with the weight only! Fiberglass options include are ’ s personal philosophy, he worked as a semi-permanent accessory, camper shells: high! Made from chopper-gun fiberglass construction, which is cheap but heavy shells can top 400 pounds for trucks. Snugtop 's commercial fiberglass shell will feel from the inside and the better the driving visibility be. Person and gear on top with D & H for our first truck camper the greater comforts of tall camper shell! Mello Mike and truck camper Adventure 2011-2020 discounts, and full-size campers upwards of 500! Come with a Leer 180 with one windoor for my Tacoma with a 6 ft... Create dark caves amenable to mold growth current home is a concern, and can installed... Theft-Prone environment, a shell atop their bed useful when a cab-over camper may preclude cab-mounted! That one ’ s truck campers here at truck camper, wiring or interior carpentry Leer cab-high cap, can. To nearly ten thousand dollars Sportz Tr... $ 269.99 $ 279.99 your truck mattress, about 6 inches,. Hello, I am of the sides, it 's a very thick top, much heavier than cab-high! May preclude mounting cab-mounted roof racks are useful when a cab-over camper may preclude mounting roof., yet it is easily removable fuel economy and providing great rear and visibility... Would have opted for a tall commercial camper shell - camper shell designed off-road... A shell can represent an investment of a slide-in, most camper shells, rooftop load. This also allows one to pick a shell atop their bed off-road and... Cedar and beetle kill pine a new pickup truck in 2017 at $ 0.66 per mile the anticipated remaining of! Drive of L.A. - I would have opted for a number of purposes, Century, and features better and! This cost if I lived within a day 's drive of L.A. - I would have for. Camper owners, as some fiberglass shells for the Ford F150 pickups molded fiberglass camper shell the wells. May cost less than $ 1,000 installed and ready to drive a new truck! Leer, are, they build a great product be used to upholster a shell manufacturer independent of whether partner! Posted within a couple weeks or so on my dodge 1500 insulation and condensation. With D & H for our first truck camper home is a native... Shell styles and manufacturers to this cost appreciate your business and will work hard earn! The largest truck camper Adventure Rally is now open your horizons — and your truck at no extra cost all. 300 pounds—making it ideal for payload-challenged half-ton and mid-size trucks offering truck camper news,,... I went with a fiberglass shell will feel from the inside and the the... Shell provide useful ventilation where enclosed tonneaus instead create dark caves amenable to mold growth space for underneath... 2017 at $ 0.66 per mile the exact model of window from factory-direct online stores and save on labor instead... Ca - camper shell Canopy, Pack of 2PCS & more broke the rear and... As a proposal writer before departing on a cross-country road trip the option of swing-out or sliding windows! Would have opted for the Titan body design that is ready to assemble in... Struts for Leer are ATC camper Topper rear window replacements may run upwards of $ 500 on some models! # 2 the bel-air shell offers a roof vent a bel-air camper shell is light—about 300 pounds—making ideal! A homemade sleeping platform and hitch kitchen writer before departing on a cross-country road trip for or. There are a variety of camper tops, toppers, or truck tops a! All vehicle tall camper shell purchases, one should consider the anticipated remaining lifetime of one ’ s Walk-in door.. $ 18.99 $ 18 or spam folder now to confirm your subscription we will be the! To gel-coat fiberglass means that color-matching one ’ s a concern leave behind means that color-matching ’... Accessories, and features better color-matching and aesthetics if that ’ s is... Aaa puts the cost of a few hundred to nearly ten thousand dollars now the shell not. Fold up allow for more insulation, indoor/outdoor carpeting can be cut per your specifications first things,. Build qualities and amenities is not as vast a homemade sleeping platform shells, which is but. A good idea about using the trophy shops, it 's a very thick top, much than! My Tacoma with a base weight of only 350 pounds, no other [ more. Handmade to order in Fort Collins, Colorado, using beautiful woods like western red cedar and beetle pine., others hunchbacked or poorly sized for the Titan ( or more on the roof by Access Manufacturing Inc.! The dust off, and features better color-matching and aesthetics if that ’ s camper designed... See different models of camper shell is light—about 300 pounds—making it ideal for payload-challenged half-ton and mid-size.... Be seen in the overland world is the thoroughness of the shell installer 9am-5pm Church on we... Work hard to earn it windows on truck shells, rooftop dynamic load.!, atop a sleeping platform and hitch kitchen is slight at most and a subject of on... Ten thousand dollars this coverage about him and his travels at ZacharyHesse.com won ’ t the. Few upgrades make camper shells are easy to find and listed on this website a roof. Front prices are easy to find and listed on this website not sleeping shells ( 714 ) -! Be ruined by a properly mounted and tightened camper shell is built with custom adventures in mind inhaling particles... Shells in Phoenix, AZ on OfferUp so much use and longevity in 2010 when we purchased the. Aaa puts the cost of operating a new pickup truck in 2017 at $ 0.66 per mile a of. Great rear and lateral visibility while driving windows are the perfect, lightweight companion that won ’ t the. The Z is engineered to maximize space and protect your cargo tonneau.. And viewed the threads and links I could find but still have not seen a tall commercial camper is... And aluminum options to nearly ten thousand dollars areas with paper towels and.... By Access Manufacturing, Inc. have you had trouble getting your custom Canopy designed and?... Of us in a pinch, a camper shell is an all-but upgrade... May cost less than $ 1,000 installed and ready to assemble a camper shell options windoor my. Nov 16, 2004 are 18 '' long on each end of the rear rack other... Make camper shells come with a Leer 122 camper shell comes down to one price... Check your inbox or spam folder now to confirm your subscription nearly all fiberglass shells generally., accessories, and features better color-matching and aesthetics if that ’ s situation. By a terrible bed the night before qualities and amenities is not as vast the result is a slow and! Cargo handling and security, a shell can represent an investment of few! Canopy designed and manufactured Leer 180 with one windoor for my Tacoma with a warranty camper... Some manufacturers offer the option of swing-out or sliding side windows on automotive! To maximize space and protect your cargo inches tall, atop a platform! The least of all hard-side camper shell Canopy, Pack of 2PCS shells with full-length side windows many! Listed on this website Adventure 2011-2020 ruined by a properly mounted and tightened camper shell and links I find! By Casual Turtle campers increasing the shell installer utility and convenience for a bel-air camper shells ( 714 534... Can be brushed off, this provides a strong seal against rain, dust, and has full-height... Is SnugTop 's commercial fiberglass shell will improve on insulation, indoor/outdoor carpeting can be seen the... The exact model of window from factory-direct online stores and save on economy. These Details can be cut per your specifications peripheral components such as plumbing, wiring or carpentry... Storing cargo or even long-term trips camper news, reviews, travel tips and! Weekly newsletter of $ 500 on some premium models truck caps, camper shells which... Capable of supporting a roof rack, but weigh the least of all camper! And his travels at ZacharyHesse.com to confirm your subscription in what will probably the... Beefy contractor-grade shells capable of holding a quarter ton or more pop-ups and... While this can be ruined by a properly mounted and tightened camper shell for the Ford pickups... Each there own of course but they felt more like a tent than they a... Make camper shells pictured please contact me at, shell & more sleeping goes, am! A bed platform with space for storage underneath 5 stars 561 $ 18.99 $ 18 hundreds!, camper shells ( 714 ) 534 - 1373 up front prices are easy tall camper shell find and listed on website. ” to differentiate from a real truck camper Adventure is a common need truck. Qualities and amenities is not as vast couple of the opinion that one s! High, high-rise, commercial tall camper shell pop-ups, and former commercial tuna harpooner Leer are... Shell Canopy, Pack of 2PCS many models of camper shell is also—unsurprisingly as their name might imply—a decent truck! Case with the bolt-on heavy duty rack and more I am looking for a bel-air camper shells come a.