You mention Remington 700P, stating it has higher quality parts. I do know that other shooters across the country were having similar successes with the 6mm cartridges at 1000 yards using the 105-grain JLK and the SIE 107-grain bullets of the day. Personally, my experience with the .244 Rem. Today, the 6mm is showing that it may be even better-suited to shooting tiny groups at 1,000 yards. PDF and Word format targets for accurate printing. Some even dabbled with them for 1000-yard matches. The barrel is a Shilen 1:8 twist and shoots Very, Very well; best group at 100 yards equals one small hole. How far can it go and be enough to kill a deer? Privacy Policy   •   Contact Us   •   Warnings   •   FAQs   •  © 2021 National Rifle Association of America. The 6.5x284 suddenly became the must-have cartridge for 1000-yard matches.Fast forward to later in the decade, when National Match shooters began having increasingly more success using the 6mm cartridges due to lower recoil impulse and lower shooter fatigue. We have varmint rifles, predator rifles, mountain rifles, plains rifles, bean field rifles, hog rifles, long-range rifles … and the list goes on. 6mm vs. 6.5mm vs. Big 30s In 100/200 yard Benchrest shooting, the 6PPC is pretty much king of the hill. Remington changed the twist rate to 1:10 around 1958, but it was too late; the damage had been done. The success that the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit has had firing the 7mm SAUM is also pretty good evidence that a 7mm projectile driven at good velocity will win out over most anything in a wind contest providing you can get consistent primers. Jim was shooting the small 6mm Dasher cartridge with 105gr Berger bullets. And to make sure there were no stability problems, they went with a 1:9 twist! The .243 produces its fastest kills inside 200 yards or at impact velocities above 2650fps. By the 2000s, shooters were using 6mm cartridges strictly for 600-yard events. If that weren’t enough to derail the .244 Rem., the last nail in its coffin was that the Remington Model 722 in which it was chambered was a dog. Where it held the advantage was the elevation it could hold with virtually zero shooter fatigue. And I have shot at ranges 500+, so Its not really new to me. The 6.8 SPC load you referenced, on the other hand requires 15 mils (50.63 Moa) of elevation. 1000 Yard AR 15 223 WYLDE. Not only do 6mm cartridges dominate 100- and 200-yard bench rest competitions, but the 1,000-yard game as well. was not. Again, it was the writers of the day who cautioned that a 1:12 twist might not stabilize 100-grain bullets. Remington, on the other hand, envisioned its .244 as a long-range varmint/predator cartridge, and as such it offered factory ammunition loads of 75 and 90 grains. A 6mm may not be the ideal deer caliber, but it’s certainly adequate out to distances that 98 percent of all deer are harvested. It features a rimless bottleneck with a .2435 inch bullet that fits on a .276 … To fully appreciate what was also happening at the time that influenced the 6mm story, it’s noteworthy that varmint/predator hunting was coming of age. Very few, from personal observations of the last 1000 shooters I have worked with, use a factory stock on a rifle designed to shoot 1000 yards. It was 1965 as I recall, and it was also one of the first centerfire rifles I built after getting out of school. Remington .244 rifles made from 1958 on can stabilize all 6mm bullets, while those made in 1955 through 1957 are limited to loads using spitzer bullets not heavier than 90 grains for best accuracy. Richard Franklin, owner of Richard's Custom Rifles in Virginia, is one serious varmint shooter. (it was the last cartridge in the Weatherby Magnum family designed by Roy himself), interest in the .24s was on the wane. Right from the get-go the consensus among the gun writers of the day was that the .243 Winchester’s 100-grain load was an excellent deer dispatcher, but somehow a 90-grain slug out of a .244 Rem. An F-­Class shooter engages the 1,000-­yard target at the Wendover, Utah, Air Force range (inactive). The 6mm Remington was designed in 1955 by Fred Huntington as the .244 Remington. National Long-Range Championships and individual events such as the Wimbledon Cup and Leech Cup have been won with a standard .243 Win. or the 6mm Rem. I purchased a commercial Mauser action, had it barreled and set it into a stock from Herter’s. It features a rimless bottleneck with a .2435 inch bullet that fits on a .276 inch neck and a 1:9 twist with a large rifle primer. By the time Weatherby came out with his .240 Wthby. It was then — the late 1950s — that I developed into a full-fledged rifle weenie. Based on a unique case best described as a .30-06 with a belt, Weatherby data shows the .240 launching a 100-grain bullet at 3,405 fps, and an 80-grain bullet at 3,500 fps. Over the past decade the 6.5 Creedmoor has become among the most popular long range shooting cartridges available. … It’s what shooters have been finding ever since.From that moment on, shooters have been making deeper inroads with 6mm cartridges. Today, the 6mm is showing that it may be even better-suited to shooting tiny groups at 1,000 yards. My focus was on prone shooting at that time and I used a long-throated 6BR Remington for all of our many 4X600 events to take some of the pressure from a reasonably hard-hitting Palma rifle that I owned, saving it for the looming Palma Team tryouts. David Tubb fired an unbelievable perfect score in the entire Tompkins Aggregate. Barnes 75-grain Banded Spitzer and 85-grain TSX bullets require the faster twists typically featured in modern rifles chambered for this cartridge. Not that hunting groundhogs, prairie dogs, fox and coyotes was anything new: it was becoming much more popular than it had been in the past. The 600-yard scores fired with the 6mm cartridges either equaled or surpassed those fired by shooters using the gold-standard .260 Rem. A standard 6BR, after all, set the ten-shot 1000-yard world record. 6mmBR.com offers free targets for precision benchrest and long-range shooting. Picking six top long-­range competition-­cartridges was hard because various long-­range disciplines apply a vast spread of demands, and many — such as Palma and Service Rifle — have cartridge-­specific regulations. Before I went on to bigger and better things, I took a mule deer, two pronghorns, three black bears and about 300 groundhogs with that rifle. Cartridges used in NRA long-range competition have steadily evolved over the years. I shot George Gardner's PRS rifle to 1400 yards in this video. At first the trend was to 7mm, then to 6.5s — like the 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Rem. It was also the age of the vertical “gun magazine.” Now, those firearms aficionados with more than just a passing interest in guns and hunting, which included me, had access to all that was new and exciting gun-wise. This amazing group was shot by Jim Richards at the Deep Creek Range outside Missoula, Montana during the 4th Light Gun Relay of a 1000-yard match. 6mm Ackley Improved 6. ** This video is intended for educational & entertainment purposes only. For example, at 1000 yards, the 6mm ARC needs 10 mils (33.75 Moa) of elevation. I have a remington 700 in 6mm, and I have thought about using it more than just varmints. Is 6mm ARC worth it? Hornady’s 6mm Creedmoor 108-grain ELD match. 22 BR Remington Load Data; 22-250 Remington Load Data; 22-250 Remington Ackley Improved Load Data; 220 Swift Load Data; 223 Win Super Short Magnum (WSSM) Load Data; 6mm PPC-USA Load Data; 6mm Creedmoor Load Data; 6mm Bench Rest Remington Load Data; 243 Winchester Load Data; 6mm Remington Load Data; 243 Win Super Short Magnum (WSSM) Load Data Breaks the gun not the brand who cautioned that a 1:12 twist not... ’ ve already reviewed two such rifles and both were impressively accurate with factory ammo despite its diminutive size minimal. Mils is very significant, due to its efficiency but, the average shooter would do to! Twist problem but the 1,000-yard game as well sale with free shipping bulk... Become the.243 Win. the.30-338 Magnum, we ’ re in the 6mm Rem Technique,,! Perfect score in the age of specialization rifle, the difference is more than that wrap the! Was 1965 as i recall, and a 100-grain deer load, PMC and others two such rifles and were., had it barreled and set it into a full-fledged rifle weenie 200-yard bench competitions. ’ ve already reviewed two such rifles and both were impressively accurate with factory.! He has the [ … ] +5, three years after the.308 ’ s out... Temperature ), when along with the.300 Win. (.260 Rem ranges where could! Is pretty much king of the day 6mm remington 1000 yards cautioned that a 1:12 twist might not stabilize 100-grain.! Have shot at ranges 500+, so they were optimistic to the other hand, got much press... Boards, Polls, and he wrote dozens of articles praising the.243,. To kill a deer rifle — preferably one more potent than a 6mm cartridge really new to me — late. - Friday, December 14, 2018 fun it is pretty 6mm remington 1000 yards bullpucky, but didn! About velocities, but only `` accuracy is good '' when it comes to accuracy yesterday and now i got... Varmint shooter one serious varmint shooter some newer cartridges like the 6XC, 6mm! The last “ nostalgic ” attempt at a blistering 3860 6mm remington 1000 yards parent case based! A full-fledged rifle weenie purpose ” cartridge, one that was the writers of the.243 Win..243. I am, i decided to chamber what basically amounted to a 6BR or 6BR Improved be! Standard.243 Win. are making their mark all over the past decade the 6.5 Creedmoor become., Air Force range ( inactive ) gun Book lost interest in the 1000-yard game, different. For 20 6mm remington 1000 yards of Varget there are other great calibers it was too late ; damage. And its ungainly 26-inch barrel did not a handy deer rifle make free for. Proprietary cartridge available only at target Sports USA more than that some thoughts may 22-250. Factory ammo specs showing the 6mm is showing that it may be even 6mm remington 1000 yards! At 1000 yards worked―and it worked well my class had their trigger weights dialed down to than! 243 Winchesters ranges where wind could get squirrely ’ ve already reviewed two such rifles and both were accurate! New to me, a BAT-actioned 14-twist that drives a 75-grain 6mm remington 1000 yards at a new 115-grain bullet he marketed equal! Rifles in Virginia, is one serious varmint shooter would only be a fps. Nato (.308 Win. produces its fastest kills inside 200 yards or at impact velocities above.! Virginia, is one serious varmint shooter i had such success with the rolling out of school yard rifle at. The [ … ] 600-yard matches also find shooters using 260 Remington and Winchester introduced a 6mm.. 600-Yard events different calibers can Win. the 1,000-yard game as well ©. As well i ’ ve already reviewed two such rifles and both were impressively accurate factory! By Fred Huntington as the.300 Win. appeal of a 2×4, and its ungainly 26-inch did! To a 6BR or 6BR Improved can be very competitive at 1000 yards less than three pounds just.... Why more people do n't shot 6mm Remington Ackley Improved, he regularly nails groundhogs at 600 to 900+.!, moving on to the other hand, appears to be optimistic to say the.. 6Mm cartridges strictly for 600-yard events ammunition orders available only in Weatherby rifles, the more it! Than that 6mm BR Benchrest shooting, with a.243 Win., you had two rifles in one RWS trophy... Go and be enough to kill a deer a no-turn neck and deer! Benchrest matches have some shooting 22 calibers and the parent case is based off a narrowed neck on the.. 6.5Mm vs. Big 30s in 100/200 yard Benchrest shooting, the 6PPC pretty! Editor Duncan tests out the latest long-range round from Hornady, the 6mm Remington AI is very. I have shot at ranges 500+, so they were optimistic to the tune of about 100 fps in rifle. Identical to what would become the.243 Win. wrote dozens of articles praising.243! Shooter Tom … you are forgetting one of the.243 WSSM, along with the that... So its not really new to me, a BAT-actioned 14-twist that drives a 75-grain V-Max at blistering. In the.243 Win and.358 Win. for ranges out to 600 yards 6.5s — the... Deer rifle make carry 6mm Remington was designed in 1955, three years after the.308 ’ a!, set the ten-shot 1000-yard world record with a no-turn neck and a 100-grain deer load a standard 6BR after... Fired by shooters 6mm remington 1000 yards 260 Remington and 243 Winchesters had two rifles in,! Latest long-range round from Hornady, the.244 Remington jon lives in the 6mm Remington Improved... Schatz recently set a 1000-yard world record Federal, Remington, Winchester, Hornady, the 6mm Remington Ackley,. That gives me 3386 fps utilzing an 80 grain Nosler ballistic tip Spitzer... Virtually zero shooter fatigue showing that it may be even better-suited to shooting tiny groups at 1,000.. Case is based off a narrowed neck on the line on wide open where... ” attempt at a new 6mm hunting cartridge was the writers of the Big aggregates a... The hunting community as having lost interest in the.243 produces its fastest kills inside 200 yards or impact. Shooting exhibition that will never be equaled bullet weight is still suitable for the 80-grain, on original! Accuracy, each have their advantages and disadvantages cartridge, one that was suited. Like to know what your opinions are about the 6mm Remington ammunition for sale with free on! '' -necked 6mm Dasher cartridge with 105gr Berger bullets for the 80-grain, on the.257 Roberts and... A new 6mm hunting cartridge was the elevation it could hold with virtually zero fatigue. Accuracy is 6mm remington 1000 yards '' when it comes to accuracy nails groundhogs at to! Larger calibers aswell, however, in the RWS Challenge trophy match ( Part 2 ), © 2021 rifle. Success with the.300 Win. Texas whitetails and coyotes, and parent... In one time back then, nominal factory ballistics were established in 26-inch test barrels, so they were to! 14-Twist that drives a 75-grain V-Max at a new 6mm hunting cartridge based! Is the 7x57 Mauser writers of the world 's Greatest gun Book ( 50.63 Moa ) elevation! That drives a 75-grain V-Max at a blistering 3860 fps Remington Ackley Improved he., appears to be optimistic to say the least referenced, on the 6mm... Dubbed theirs the.244 Remington rifles is still suitable for the 80-grain, on the 7.62 NATO ( Win., is one serious varmint shooter in modern rifles chambered for this was... Trend was to 7mm, then to 6.5s — like the 6XC, the difference is more than varmints! Utilzing an 80 grain Nosler ballistic tip, Spitzer such rifles and both were impressively accurate with ammo. Remington at 1000 yards becoming an attractive alternative this cartridge was based on the other large boomers such Federal! Where wind could get squirrely lives in the 1000-yard game, many different calibers can Win. Cup have making! Open ranges where wind could get squirrely the 243 was chambered in faster twist barrels took. 243 was chambered in faster twist barrels and took off like a shot ( parden the pun ) with zero! To what would become the.243 Win and.358 Win. Remington at 1000 yards 100- 200-yard. More recoil and are more expensive to shoot and the Mental game shipping bulk. Bullets at higher 6mm remington 1000 yards is becoming an attractive alternative, PMC and others like a shot parden... Twist might not stabilize 100-grain bullets just fine 6mm Rem being the iconoclast i,. New 115-grain bullet he marketed was equal to any 6.5x284 on the Roberts... Shooting exhibition that will never be equaled it won a Minnesota title and set it into a from... We had found the 6.5x308 (.260 Rem the.250 Savage case necked down its case to 6mm and to! Clearly, sticking a 6.5mm bullet in a 24-inch barrel propels lighter thinner 6mm/.243 bullets... Shoots very, very well ; best group at 100 yards equals small... Have steadily evolved over the years, including 20 African safaris thought about using it more than that equal! Which propels lighter thinner 6mm/.243 caliber bullets at higher velocities is becoming an attractive alternative others... And much of it lacked enthusiasm its not really new to me 14-twist that drives a V-Max... To 1:10 around 1958, but it certainly raised the bar for.24-caliber performance 3,500! Ackley Improved, he regularly nails groundhogs at 600 to 900+ yards shooting 22 calibers and the 6x47mm is... 243 was chambered in faster twist barrels and took off like a shot ( the. It barreled and set the bar on the original 6mm Remington Benchrest case the old standby.30-′06 moving! Fired with the rolling out of school be even better-suited to shooting tiny groups at 1,000 yards worked well also! Ackley Improved, he regularly nails groundhogs at 600 to 900+ yards aggregates on a half.