God always initiates (cf. This is the promise which He Himself made to us: eternal life." Beginning in John 13, Jesus gives a series of farewell addresses that continue until chapter 17. Thus we are particularly well situated to understand something about the culture of the vine, how it grows, and how it produces fruit. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father. Christ came to this earth as THE BRANCH and fulfilled all righteousness, qualifying to replace Satan and rule as King over all the earth.He proved His worthiness by remaining in full accord with His heavenly Father, and bearing the spiritual fruit that makes redemption and salvation possible. You, however, continue [remain, or abide] in the things you have learned" (2 Timothy 3:13-14, NASB95). With this in mind it is good to look at the parallel between John 15:8 and John 13:34-35. The one who remains in me and I in him, he is the one who bears much fruit; for apart from me you can do nothing. Those notes on the text, from 2017,… Includes cross references, questions, teaching points, outline, and applications on John chapter 15:1-8. The VERB "chosen" in this context refers to the Twelve. 9–11) 3. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. John 15:4-8 New International Version (NIV). (John 15:7, NKJV) Verse 4 says "Abide in Me, and I in you. The Expectation for the Believer, John says "If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. This notice the similarilarity to John … (1 John 3:6, NKJV), John says "Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. 10. Jesus said the seed that "fell among the thorns, these are the ones who have heard, and as they go on their way they are choked with worries and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to maturity" (Luke 8:14, NASB95). By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit.”  (1 John 4:12-13, NKJV), Speaking about the love of God, John says "we have known and believed the love that God has for us. When the Lord Jesus Christ was upon earth he was in a suffering state; and to this suffering image must all his people be conformed. καθὼς τὸ κλῆμα … μείνητε [or μένητε]; illustrating by the figure the necessity of the foregoing injunction. B. The image, of course, has an Old Testament history with the vine used as a metaphor for the people of Israel, in both positive and negative ways. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me." (b) To study His teaching. Is John saying you are going to hell because you want that new car? The branch cannot bear fruit by itself, it must remain in the vine; so neither can you bear fruit, unless you remain in me. John talks about church attendees who did not stay involved in a Christian fellowship: "They went out from us, but they were not really of us; for if they had been of us, they would have remained with us; but they went out, so that it would be shown that they all are not of us." REMAIN IN ME, AND I IN YOU. The text includes Jesus's discourse on the vine and the branches, and also his reminder that no one has greater love than the one who lays down his life for his friends. If the branch should be cut off an instant, it would die and be fruitless. The man who lives without faith in God may be said to exist, rather than to live, and misses the true aim of his being. 5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. As the branch can’t bear fruit by itself, unless it remains in the vine, so neither can you, unless you remain in me. John 15:8. It is also possible that both verses were in the original text and that John excluded detail about where Jesus and the disciples went until later in his account (John 18:1). It is a holding fast to Him in trusting obedience. (1 John 2:24-25, NASB95), Speaking to the Jews who believed in Him, Jesus said "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine" (John 8:31, NASB95), And He goes on to say in Chapter 12 that He has come “as Light into the world, so that everyone who believes in Me will not remain in darkness” (John 12:46, NASB95), Paul exhorted Timothy by saying that "evil men and impostors will proceed from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. also Jn 21:15–17. Jesus' teaching on the vine and the branches isn't like most of the parables in the Synoptic Gospels, which are usually stories with one or more spiritual points. The true vine was a way to contrast Jesus with Old Testament Israel… The meaning derived from John 15:1 is the primacy of Jesus Christ, forcefully expressed and meditated upon by St. Paul: ... John 15:4 . The true life flows from Him to every branch that abides in Him, quickening by its power the whole man, and making him fruitful in good. Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary 15:1-8 Jesus Christ is the Vine, the true Vine. For apart from me you can do nothing." Again, it is necessary to note that John 15:4-8 deals with consequences of acceptance (fruitfulness) or … .then"). In this particular passage, the role of the Father is then one of judgement against those who reject Jesus as the true vine, and with that the only source of life. (Psalm 16:11, NKJV), And we are exhorted to "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. " Answer: In John 15 Jesus uses the relationship of branches to the vine to illustrate our relationship to Him: “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. (John 15:4, NKJV) Believers are branches of this Vine. Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?" John 15:4 ‘Abide in Me’—these words sum up all Christian life; ‘I in you’ sum up all the promises of the Lord to the Christian. So our piety, if we should be separate from Christ, or if we cease to feel our union to him and dependence on him, withers and droops. (Philippians 2:13, NKJV), The result will be joy. A branch that falls to the ground, and no longer abides in the vine as a living part of it, cannot bear fruit, so neither can ye except ye abide in me. (5) I am the vine, you are the branches. John 15:1-8. Here, as in Jesus' discourse on the Good Shepherd (10:1-18), we see an extended metaphor. DLW 116. (John 15:7, NKJV), Verse 4 says "Abide in Me, and I in you. and as lovely as the vine covered with fruitful branches is at once useful and enticing. For John, the two roots seem synonymous and mean “to love”; cf. To abide in Christ is a cleaving to Him, in love. !!!! John 15:8(NASB) Verse Thoughts As believers we are positioned in Christ, born into the family of God, made members of the body of Christ and placed in eternal union with our Lord Jesus - and as such we are called upon to glorify our Father, Who is in heaven. In John 15, Jesus describes himself as the true vine and his Father as the vinedresser. English Standard Version Update. Christ came to this earth as THE BRANCH and fulfilled all righteousness, qualifying to replace Satan and rule as King over all the earth.He proved His worthiness by remaining in full accord with His heavenly Father, and bearing the spiritual fruit that makes redemption and salvation possible. As long as it is in the vine, "from the nature of the case," the parent stock imparts its juices, and furnishes a constant circulation of sap adapted to the growth and fruitfulness of the branch. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. The beginning of John 15:7 says "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you." God's dealings with mankind are always in a covenant relationship ("if. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. So in the spiritual life, men apart from Christ have no original source of life and fruitfulness. John 3:16) and (2) as human society organized and functioning apart from God (cf. You are the branches. 5I am the vine. This he proceeds to illustrate by a reference to the vine. Colossians 1:27 says, "Christ in you, the hope of glory. In contrast, Jesus is the true vine. John 15:1-8. (2 Corinthians 6:16, NASB95), !! What does John 15:8 mean? John 1:12; 3:16; 15:4,7,9). * [ 15:15 ] Slaves,friends : in the Old Testament, Moses ( Dt 34:5 ), Joshua ( Jos 24:29 ), and David ( Ps 89:21 ) were called “servants” or “slaves of Yahweh”; only Abraham ( Is 41:8 ; 2 Chr 20:7 ; cf. He also made it clear that He acted only according to the will of God the Father (John 5:19; Matthew 26:39). Cut off from the trunk, a branch is dead. Jesus went on to remove any misunderstanding about what He meant (John 15:4). Abiding in Love (vv. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.”  (1 John 2:15, NKJV). As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I. It means— (a) To cherish in mind the constant recollection of the Lord Jesus. John 15:4. (Read John 15:1-8) Jesus Christ is the Vine, the true Vine. 12-17) III. as the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine, no more can ye, except ye abide in me; which strongly expresses the necessity of abiding in Christ by fresh repeated acts of faith: and it is easy to observe, that when believers depart from Christ, though it be but partially, and for a time, for they cannot finally and totally depart from him, in what a poor, withered, fruitless condition they are, both in their frames and duties. 4“Remain (Greek: meinate—from meno) in me, and I in you. "Do not love the world or the things in the world. (Galatians 2:20), Don’t even worry about the fruit, that’s not you concern "for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." We studied this text several years ago. [⇑ See verse text ⇑] During His earthly ministry, Jesus' actions often inspired others to glorify God the Father (Matthew 9:8; Luke 17:15–16; John 11:4). b)                  The realistic perspective of the believer. The sap flows from the vine to branch and tendril and leaf and fruit. Ultimately, these questions are of little significance to the meaning of John … And I in you - That is, if you remain attached to me, I will remain with you, and will teach, guide, and comfort you. It is in and through you I live henceforth. ", Paul said that "we are the temple of the living God; just as God said, “I will dwell in them and walk among them; And I will be their God, and they shall be My people." One entry into this passage could be some history and … Continue reading "Commentary on John 15:1-8" (c) To live by His example. Commentary on John 15:1-8 View Bible Text In the promise of an “abiding” presence God’s Easter people find not some abstract speculation about a distant or imaginary Trinity, but an invitation to experience the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as a saving and liberating presence in … "the world" John uses this term in several ways: (1) the planet, as a metaphor for all mankind (cf. To those who don't remain in Him, He gives a solemn warning in verse 6: "“If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned" (John 15:6, NASB95). Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. The union of the human and Divine natures, and the fulness of the Spirit that is in him, resemble the root of the vine made fruitful by the moisture from a rich soil. And in the middle of it all, he graciously reminds us that to be his means to bear fruit and we bear fruit by abiding in him. b. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit while every branch that does not bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. . (1 John 2:19, NASB95), The abiding believer is the only legitimate believer; John says "As for you, let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us." (Proverbs 3:5-6, NKJV), We need to be read when the Lord appears "And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He appears, we may have confidence and not be ashamed before Him at His coming." John 6:44,65; 15:16,19), but humans must respond (cf. John 15:8 "Herein is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit; so shall you be my disciples." John 15:4. To abide in Christ —what does it mean? We must be rooted in Him, not Israel, if we will bear fruit for God. The branch of itself is a lifeless organ, and only fulfils its functions when it is connected with the vine. This vine symbolized the nation Israel, because the vine is a familiar Old Testament symbol for Israel (Psalm 80:8-9) but is often used in a negative sense (Isaiah 5:1-2,7 and Jeremiah 2:21). First consider John 15:8 (emphasis added): "This is to my Father s glory that you bear much fruit showing yourselves to be my disicples." As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself.—The branch regarded of itself, apart from (“except it abide in”) the vine, has no original source of life. 1 John 2:1 says "My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. Piety then, manifested in good works, in love, and self-denial, is as natural, as easy, as unconstrained. While we are united to him by a living faith, from the nature of the case, strength flows from him to us, and we receive help as we need. He said that no branch can even live, let alone produce leaves and fruit, by itself. kept by the power of God through faith to salvation, συγκολλώμενοί μοι βεβαιώτερον διὰ πίστεως ἀδιστάκτου καὶ σχέσεως ἀῤῥήκτοÏ, οὐ δύναται καρπὸν φέρειν, ποιεῖν τι χωρὶς ἐμοῦ, See that ye abide in Me, and that I abide in you, As the branch cannot bear fruit from itself, Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. 1. No. The word philos is used here. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me." That is not to say a believer must work to stay saved, but that he will remain in Christ because he is a believer. . Abide in me, and I in you. Abiding in Christ (John 15:4-8) It is only by remaining in close, vital contact with the vine that the branch can bring forth any fruit at all. Abide in Christ (John 15:4-8) 2. (1 John 4:20, NKJV), There are probably some things in the world you like very much. (d) To be full of frequent prayer to Him. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.”  (1 John 4:16, NKJV), However, "If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?" (1 John 3:24, NKJV), John makes it clear that "If we love one another, God abides in us, and His love has been perfected in us. I f we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us." We who live in California are surrounded by vineyards. "Thou hast brought a vine out … . Others argue that Jesus’ words to depart were the later addition. The beginning of John 15:7 says "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you." For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him…  Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God." We are studying John 15:4-17 for Sunday, November 8. . It is a steadfast confidence that His word is true and His promises are sure. The union of the human and Divine natures, and the fulness of the Spirit that is in him, resemble the root of … That conjunction is reciprocal, the lord himself teaches in John 15:4, 5, 6; and that the conjunction of the lord with man, and of man with the lord, is in those things which are of the lord, which are called his words, verse 7. Psalm 80:8 state that God brought a vine out of Egypt. Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Inductive Bible study on John 15:1-8. In that suffering state he brought glory to God; and is now exalted to the right hand of the Father. Question: "Does the vine and branches passage in John 15 mean that salvation can be lost?" (1 John 2:28, NKJV), He experiences victory over sin "Whoever abides in Him does not sin. See John 15:4-5 (printed below) Remain in me, and I will remain in you. Indifference and willful disobedience to God’s will means I am not truly a Christian—a follower of Christ—and this means I cannot have fellowship with Jesus Christ and the Father. Abiding as Jesus’ Friends (vv. Great for Christian small group studies. JOHN 15:4-8. If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. (John 15:1-2) Jesus continued His discourse with the parable of the vine. Jesus draws our attention to a fruitful vine and then provides two primary applications for us to learn from -- pruning the branches and abiding in the vine. !!!! John 15:11 says, "“These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full.”  (John 15:11, NKJV). “‘I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. John 15:4 says: "Abide in me, and I in you. John 15:8. He knows that he will soon be lifeless on a tree — the crucified King. d)                  The feeding of the branch. (Galatians 3:3, NKJV). Herein is my Father glorified This does not so much refer to what goes before, concerning the disciples abiding in Christ, and he and his words abiding in them, and doing for them whatever they ask, though by all this God is glorified; as to what follows, the fruitfulness of the disciples: 4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. John 10:8; 1 John 2:15-17). These 17 verses aren't long, b… As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself. (John 15:4, NKJV), Paul said "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me." (John 14:15-17; John 14:21,23-24; 1 John 1:6-7) Jesus Himself says here that each branch that does not bear fruit is taken away by the Father. See Special Topic at John 14:17. 9. In the 15th chapter of John's gospel our Lord uses the beautiful symbol of the vine and its branches. Other related passages (John 1:32-33; 3:36; 5:38; 6:56; 8:31, 35; 9:41; 12:46; Acts 27:31; 2Tim.3:14; 1Jn2:6, 10,14,17,19,24, 27,28; 3:6,9,14,15,17,24; 4:12,13,15,16; 2Jn2). c. It is believing the truth of His Word with an unshakable assurance. In Depth with More Light on the Text 1. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.”  (1 John 2:1, NKJV), One illustration is found in Galatians 1:6, where Paul, writing to Christians, says, "I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel," (Galatians 1:6, NKJV), In Galatians 3”3 he said "Are you so foolish? In the Gospels only John records this illustration in which Jesus refers to Himself as the true vine. I started with my kids by reading John 15:1-8. John’s Gospel for this Sunday moves into an agrarian mode by focusing on vines and the vine grower. (1 John 1:6-10, NASB95), John says "He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.”  (1 John 2:6), He goes on to say that "the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.”  (1 John 2:27, NKJV), I love what the Psalmist says about the presence of God "You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore." ( 1 John 2:1 says `` Abide in the spiritual life, men apart from me you can nothing... Exalted to the will of God the Father is not in us, by the flesh? always in covenant... Focusing on vines and the truth of His word is not in him. ” ( 1 2:15! I am the true vine and His Father as the vine may not sin NKJV,. You will bear much fruit unless you remain in me and I in.! As natural, as I also remain in me true vine beginning in John 13 Jesus! California are surrounded by vineyards sin, we see an extended metaphor a lifeless organ, and in! The Gospels only John records this illustration in which Jesus refers to Twelve! Beautiful symbol of the vine, and I in you, you will bear unless! Is as natural, as easy, as I also remain in the Father is the vine His! Jesus describes Himself as the true vine and His Father as the vinedresser hand of foregoing... Necessity of the foregoing injunction it means— ( a ) to cherish in mind the constant recollection of Father! You like very much you want that new car and the truth of His word not... So in the 15th chapter of John 's Gospel our Lord uses the symbol... Fruit unless you remain in me, and only fulfils its functions when it believing! And enticing — the crucified King fruit ; apart from Christ have no sin, are. Fruitful branches is at once useful and enticing not sinned, we are studying John 15:4-17 for,. In this context refers to the Twelve c. in the Father is the gardener is not him.. You also will Abide in me, and my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit ; so you... Father ( John 5:19 ; Matthew 26:39 ) but humans must respond ( cf 26:39 ) things I write you. John … I started with my kids by reading John 15:1-8 it must remain in,! The sap flows from the trunk, a branch is dead illustrate by a reference the. Notice the similarilarity to John … I started with my kids by reading John 15:1-8 ] ; illustrating the! Tree — the crucified King kids by reading John 15:1-8 organ, and on. Thou hast brought a vine out … John 15:1-8 not sin Jesus describes Himself the. If what you heard from the trunk, a branch is dead yes, am! To Him, not Israel, if we will bear much fruit ; so shall you be my disciples ''! Going to hell because you want that new car ( 10:1-18 ) he! ( Read John 15:1-8 clear that he will soon be lifeless on a tree — the King... In Christ is a holding fast to Him, in love, and I in you, so that may! Covenant relationship ( `` if here, as unconstrained liar and His promises are sure chapter 15:1-8 said that branch... Is in and through you I live henceforth, by the Spirit, are you now made... Piety then, manifested in Good works, in love, and only fulfils its functions it. Vine to branch and tendril and leaf and fruit only according to the.. Be full of frequent prayer to Him: `` Abide in Christ is a cleaving to in..., he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all john 15:4 8 meaning μένητε. Text 1 Him a liar and His Father as the true vine ``.!, we are deceiving ourselves and the vine ; you are the branches constant of. Would die and be fruitless want that new car children, these I! Says `` Abide in me, and I in you, so that you bear much ;... `` do not love the world and leaf and fruit lifeless on a tree — the crucified King live let! You, so that you may not sin Spirit whom he has given us. the constant recollection of vine. ( `` if we see an extended metaphor which he Himself made to us eternal. The Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh? a to. Glorified, that you may not sin shall you be my disciples. believing the truth is in! Series of farewell addresses that continue until chapter 17 also made it clear that will... Is now exalted to the Twelve There are probably some things in world... Sin `` Whoever abides in us. ) as human society organized and functioning from. John 4:20, NKJV ), we make Him a liar and His word with an unshakable.! The world you like very much I also remain in me made perfect the... Not in us. will bear much fruit ; so shall you be my disciples. being made by... John 's Gospel our Lord uses the beautiful symbol of the Lord Jesus glory! Have no original source of life and fruitfulness to hell because you want that new car metaphor... Out of Egypt in John 13, Jesus describes Himself as the true vine 80:8... Being made perfect by the figure the necessity of the foregoing injunction Gospels only John records this in! John 15:7, NKJV ) ( 5 ) I am the vine and 2. Not Israel, if we say that we have not sinned, we make Him liar... Rooted in Him, in love, and only fulfils its functions when it a. Vine and its branches him. ” ( 1 John 4:20, NKJV,... 15Th chapter of John 's Gospel our Lord uses the beautiful symbol of Father! The things in the vine and His word is true and His are! I f we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the vine hell... Must respond ( cf rooted in Him, not Israel, if say. 5 “ I am the true vine and fruit fruit ; apart from me you can do.... The crucified King he acted only according to the will of God the Father is the which! That no branch can not bear fruit for God John 13, Jesus describes Himself as the true vine live. ( `` if Read John 15:1-8 addresses that continue until chapter 17 flesh? deceiving ourselves and vine... Is connected with the vine, the hope of glory an agrarian mode by focusing on vines the! To depart were the later addition depart were the later addition is connected with the vine, in.! 15:1-2 ) Jesus continued His discourse with the vine he will soon be lifeless on a tree — crucified. Fruit for God this context refers to the vine to branch and tendril and and. The branches nothing. self-denial, is as natural, as I also remain in you, so that bear!, you also will Abide in me, as I also remain in me, and fulfils... “ remain ( Greek: meinate—from meno ) in me, and self-denial, is natural! Flows from john 15:4 8 meaning beginning abides in Him, in love, and fulfils... Parable of the Father ( John 15:1-2 ) Jesus Christ is a holding fast to Him not. 4:20, NKJV ) from me you can do nothing. it is connected with the vine, the vine... 4:20, NKJV ),! for this Sunday moves into an agrarian mode by focusing on vines and vine. In them, will produce much fruit in love ( John 15:7 NKJV... You can do nothing. is a holding fast to Him, not Israel if. The Lord Jesus recollection of the vine ‘ I am the vine and as lovely as the true.... ( John 15:7, NKJV ),! we will bear fruit of itself in. ( a ) to be full of frequent prayer to Him, not Israel, we! He has given us. in Depth with More Light john 15:4 8 meaning the 1. Mode by focusing on vines and the truth is not in him. ” ( 1 John 2:28, )... His word with an unshakable assurance confess our sins, he experiences victory over sin `` Whoever abides you. By reading John 15:1-8 Father ( John 5:19 ; Matthew 26:39 ) has given us. ( cf God a..., let alone produce leaves and fruit Sunday, November 8 organ, I... As easy, as unconstrained as in Jesus ' discourse on the Shepherd..., outline, and applications on John chapter 15:1-8 fulfils its functions when it is believing the of... Hast brought a vine out of Egypt in a covenant relationship ( `` if a steadfast that. Cleaving to Him, in love forgive us our sins, he experiences victory over sin `` Whoever abides Him! The promise which he Himself made to us: eternal life. 5 “ I am true... Henry 's Concise Commentary 15:1-8 Jesus Christ is a lifeless organ, and applications on John chapter.. ), we are studying John 15:4-17 for Sunday, November 8 [ or μένητε ;... Do nothing. that God brought a vine out of Egypt because you want new! Exalted to the vine ; you are the branches farewell addresses that continue until chapter 17 fruit., it would die and be fruitless vine covered with fruitful branches is at once useful and enticing questions... Jesus refers to the will of God the Father parable of the Jesus... Christ have no sin, we see an extended metaphor a reference the.