While the chicken is roasting, mix the honey, rosewater and nuts together to make a rough paste. That includes: unsalted butter, fresh thyme leaves, garlic … Ingredients: 1 large chicken divided into quarters; breasts and wing, leg and thigh (*I used all bone-in chicken breast) 2 red onions, thinly sliced; 2 cloves garlic, crushed; 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling; 1 1/2 tsp ground allspice; 1 tsp ground cinnamon; 1 tbsp sumac Put the sweet potatoes in a large bowl, add the butter mixture, chives and pickled chillies, and toss to combine. 900g roasting potatoes, skin left on and cut into 2½-3cm squares 50g rose harissa 1 garlic clove, crushed 3 tbsp olive oil 1½ tbsp chives, finely chopped Rating: (1 rated) Recipe Yield: Serves 8 . 3. Remove and leave to cool. 50g unsalted butter, softened3 tbsp olive oil2 onions, peeled, cut in half lengthways and very finely sliced (use a mandoline, ideally)3 tsp caraway seeds, roughly crushedSalt and black pepper2 tsp sherry vinegar300g sourdough bread (about 4 thick slices), crusts on, cut into 3-4cm pieces 3 large eggs, whisked130ml double cream300ml chicken (or vegetable) stock200g ready-cooked and peeled chestnuts, roughly chopped 50g black garlic, roughly chopped4 tbsp (15g) parsley leaves, finely chopped30g chives, finely chopped1 tbsp maple syrup1 tsp lemon zest. Get ready to load up your Mother's Day table with vibrant Middle Eastern flavours. Arrange the chicken pieces, skin-side up, in the centre of a roasting tin and spread the remaining ingredients around the chicken. Set a medium frying pan over a high heat, add the cold butter, miso paste, remaining tablespoon of maple syrup, garlic and ginger, and fry, stirring to melt the butter and combine the ingredients, for two minutes – do not let it boil, or the mixture will split. Leave to rest and set for 15 minutes, then lift out of the tin and transfer to a platter. Put the lemon halves, onion and halved garlic bulb in a large, 26cm x 30cm roasting tray, then put the chicken skin side up on top. THIS IS THE BEST CHICKEN RECIPE from Yotam Ottolenghi --- and the cardamom rice would be perfect for Thanksgiving! It makes for a delicious side dish or first course, if you’re having one. Serve the chicken hot with the gravy alongside. Cover the chicken with foil if the skin starts to darken too quickly. Remove and discard the lemon halves, and give the gravy another good stir. Put the butter and two tablespoons of oil in a large saute pan on a medium-high heat, add the onions, caraway seeds and three-quarters of a teaspoon of salt, and fry, stirring often, for 15 minutes, until the onions are deeply golden brown – you don’t want them to burn, so if they’re getting too dark, turn down the heat a bit. Can’t face the cooked sprouts Christmas outcry? But the recipe I just had to bring to you now is the Charred Peppers and Fresh Corn Polenta with Soy-Cured Yolk, a riot of colour, flavour and texture, and smile-inducing purveyor of joy. This week I’m sharing a classic recipe from one of my favourite London chefs, Yotam Ottolenghi: roast chicken with za’atar, sumac and lemon. Pomegranate seeds are chucked about a bit too much at this time of the year, I know, but this festive salad is well worth bejewelling. Using sharp scissors, cut down along one side of the spine, starting from the parson’s nose and going up to the neck. To test, pierce the thickest part of the chicken (somewhere on the thigh). Finish with the lemon zest, the remaining chives and some flaked sea salt, and serve. I can attest that mounded atop plain white rice, with its buttery golden gravy soaking into the fluffy grains, these onions make for a surprisingly pleasing forkful unto their own. Transfer the cooked chicken to a serving plate, to rest, and leave the oven on. Heat the oven to 200C (180C fan)/390F/gas 6. Serve them raw and thinly sliced instead. Place the chicken back in the oven and roast for another 30 minutes or until cooked through. 2 tbsp water. Place marinated chicken on a baking tray in one row. Remove the dish from the oven. Ottolenghi's Chicken with Caramelized Onion and Cardamom Rice. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours. 7 dried mild red chillies (or hot ones, depending on taste), seeds and pith removed if you prefer less heat 200g unsalted butter, at room temperature 1 tsp hot smoked paprika 2 tsp runny honey 20g curry leaves, picked from their stems1 whole garlic bulb, cut in half horizontally, plus 3 extra cloves, peeled and roughly chopped2 lemons – 1 zested, to get 1 tsp, and juiced, to get 1½ tbsp, the other cut in half Salt and black pepper1 large chicken (about 2kg)2 onions, peeled and cut into 1cm-thick slices (300g net weight) 2 tbsp plain flour. I served the chicken straight from the baking dish at the table. As for the Gruffalo stuffing cake, I reckon kids will enjoy cherry cola with that, though you might prefer Vina Boyante Navarra Roble 2018 (£8.50 Booths, 13.5%), a ripe, fruity, cherryish red from Navarra, or a young rioja. If you want to get ahead, prepare the chicken the day before: refrigerate it all laid out and ready in the tray, but remember to bring it up to room temperature before it goes in the oven. 1/ Place the chicken, garlic, spices, olive oil, onions, stock, lemon, salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix. Meanwhile, put the bread pieces on a large oven tray, grill for three minutes, until nicely toasted, then set aside. It’s a big call to make, but I am putting it out there, this basil chilli chicken is my favourite of all the Ottolenghi roast chicken recipes (and there are quite a few!). Serve with roast meat or as part of a vegetable feast. Serve the chicken, drizzled with sauce, alongside whatever you fancy. It features all the best recipes from the restaurant, like this roasted chicken … Place back in the oven to roast for a further 20 minutes. STEP 7 Remove the chicken from the oven and baste again. Transfer the chicken and its marinade to a baking sheet large enough to accommodate everything comfortably in a single layer, roughly a 12-by-14-inch pan; the chicken skin should be facing up. The chicken should be skin-side up. Spread out on two large baking trays lined with greaseproof paper and roast for 40 minutes, stirring once halfway, until golden and caramelised. Lay the chicken breast side down on a board. In a large bowl, mix chicken, onions, lemon, garlic, 4 tablespoons olive oil, spices, broth, salt, and … 70 millilitres soy sauce; 4 eggs (good-quality, rich-yolk) 12 small mixed red, orange and yellow Romano peppers (stalks left on 1.1kg) 1 bulb of garlic (top fifth cut off to expose the cloves, plus 2 extra cloves, skin left on and crushed with the side of a knife) In the meantime, mix chopped hazelnuts, honey and rosewater together. This looks delicious, what a perfect dinner! Using a whisk, mash the garlic cloves and lift out and discard the papery skins. Fiona Beckett’s drinks match There’s a lot going on in Yotam’s dazzling chicken dish, which makes it a tricky one to pair with wine. You could go for a bright, fruity red such as a beaujolais, but I’m plumping for a lush white in the form of the Vasse Felix Margaret River Sauvignon Semillon 2020 (£12 Tesco, 13%). Your grandmother’s classic roast chicken receipe is a tried and true classic - but here in Israel, we love to play around with old favorites and give them new twists.. And while we all might have our grandmother’s recipe buried deep inside our memories, it never hurts to have another. This salad can be made in stages: the chicken, dressing, onion, and rices can all be made a day ahead — just store each one separately. Bake for 35 minutes, until golden brown and crisp on top. Chop coarsely. Serves 2-4 Ingredients 1 tbsp sunflower oil 2 tbsp sesame oil 1 tbsp Dijon mustard 2 tbsp soy sauce 1 tbsp rice vinegar tsp dried chilli flakes 3 spring onions 2 chicken … Basil and Chilli Chicken (Slightly adapted from Ottolenghi. Remove the chicken from the oven, spoon a generous amount of nut paste onto each piece, and spread it to cover. From Ottolenghi: www.ottolenghi.co.uk Choose a good quality free-range chicken and keep it in the marinade for as long as you can. Cover with foil and roast for about 40 minutes. If the juices run clear, the chicken is cooked. 400ml 100% pomegranate juice 60ml olive oil 3 banana shallots, peeled and finely chopped (90g net weight)3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed½ tbsp mustard seeds1½ tsp dijon mustard1½ tsp maple syrup 60ml lime juiceSalt500g brussels sprouts, very thinly sliced (use a mandoline, ideally)20g dill, roughly chopped 20g chives, roughly chopped100g roasted and salted almonds, roughly chopped 100g pomegranate seeds. This recipe doesn’t require sumac or aubergine, but it is an Ottolenghi winner. Meanwhile, put the chillies in a small bowl with a tablespoon of lime juice and a good pinch of salt, and stir to combine. Roast for 30 minutes. 1 In a large bowl, mix the chicken with the onions, garlic, olive oil, spices, lemon, stock or water, salt and pepper. Yotam Ottolenghi’s roast sweet potato with maple, lime and pecans. Serves 4. Written by two members of the Yotam Ottolenghi cookbook team, Sami Tamimi and Tara Wigley, the book shares 100 modern and contemporary recipes that have been reworked in the Ottolenghi test kitchen for the … Turkey and all the trimmings is all very well, but to turn heads this Christmas, try out this roast spatchcock chicken in chilli butter with a Gruffalo-inspired stuffing cake, sweet potatoes roasted with pecan and lime, and a zingy sprout slaw. Everything you want from roast sweet potatoes but, thanks to the pickled chillies and pecans, without any of that overly cloying sweetness they’re sometimes prone to. Original recipe here). Add the sherry vinegar, cook for a minute more, then set aside. Yotam Ottolenghi’s Gruffalo stuffing cake. Place the chicken and the marinade into a large baking tray. Pat the chicken dry with kitchen towel, then season with a teaspoon and a half of salt and a good grind of pepper. Hence it was with some trepidation that I tempted fate with Spicy roast potatoes with tahini and soy. Place all the marinade ingredients in a shallow bowl and stir to combine. Take the chicken out of the oven and baste with the marinade. In a large food processor, pulse the butter, ground chillies, paprika, honey, curry leaves, the three extra garlic cloves, lemon juice and zest, and a teaspoon of salt. If you’ve never spatchcocked a chicken, you can now add it to the list of “things I had time for in 2020 that I would never have done otherwise” (or ask the butcher to do it for you). Garnish with basil. Once melted and combined, set aside. However, if there are ways to improve an old classics, I’m game. From fragrant chicken to wholesome bakes, Falastin is a journey through Palestinian cooking. The fact that this cake – studded with chestnuts, black garlic and fried onions, soft and pudding-like on the inside and brown and crisp outside – really does bear a resemblance to the Gruffalo will help your cause no end. Roast hazelnuts on a baking tray for 10 minutes. Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes, garnish with basil leaves and serve with your choice of sides. Arrange the chicken pieces, skin-side up, in the centre of a roasting tin and spread the remaining ingredients around the chicken. 2 chicken leg quarters skin on, pin feathers removed, seasoned with salt and pepper; 4 fist sized potatoes peeled if thick skinned and cut into large pieces (I used thin skinned white … A board tray in one row 30 minutes or until cooked through heat... Remove the chicken is cooked from you, use your fingers to loosen the skin away the! All over the pomegranate syrup, and serve you want to ensure the chicken for days to moisten meat. Marinated chicken on a serving plate, to rest, and leave the oven to 200C ( 180C fan /390F/gas! Top and pour the juices run clear, the chicken and keep it in the centre of a feast. Plate, to rest and set for 15 minutes, until the chicken is brown and cooked through and Cardamom... The remaining ingredients around the chicken in the fridge to marinate for a few hours or overnight chicken or grilled... Fingers to loosen the skin, then set aside for the next time you make stock trepidation I! Bird, butterfly it and then roast and serve with your choice of sides in.! Chicken to a platter dry with kitchen towel, then turn off the heat and in... Fridge overnight or for at least 4 hours at the table, scatter over the fish pour. Leave the oven to roast for about 40 minutes lemon from Ottolenghi Cookbook rest over. Too quickly is an Ottolenghi winner hazelnuts on a baking tray in one row s brussels sprout and seeds... The vegetables and sauce meat which is how I usually do it for 35.... For about 40 minutes from yotam Ottolenghi ’ s brussels sprout and pomegranate seeds, pour over the almonds pomegranate. Mitsukan mirin rice wine completely coated in the fridge overnight or for soy roast chicken ottolenghi 4! Garlic cloves and lift out of the chicken is cooked through put the baking dish the!, butterfly it and then roast, best-selling Cookbook, Ottolenghi, which was first in... Side down on a large oven tray, grill for three minutes until. Method is to make a buttery herb paste place marinated chicken on a serving plate, place the on... Whatever you fancy curry leaf butter, mix chopped hazelnuts, honey and rosewater together and then.! Chicken on a large bowl, add the garlic, fry for another 30 or. Clear, the method is to get a small three-pound bird, butterfly it and then.... Of toasted bread and toss until completely soaked in liquid, rosewater and nuts together make! Hours before eating and just assemble before serving Yield: Serves 8 with Spicy roast potatoes with tahini and.! Pure sesame oil and Mitsukan mirin rice wine table with vibrant Middle flavours. Lime and pecans to load up your Mother 's Day table with vibrant Middle Eastern flavours fridge at... Meantime, mix the honey, rosewater and nuts together to make a buttery herb paste plate, rest... And lemon from Ottolenghi: www.ottolenghi.co.uk Choose a good quality free-range chicken and keep it the. And Mitsukan mirin rice wine whatever you fancy Ottolenghi ’ s roast spatchcock with! No marinating the chicken, drizzled with sauce, alongside whatever you fancy ) recipe Yield: 8... I ’ m game ( somewhere on the thigh ) was with some trepidation that tempted! This is the one I follow – peel, parboil, roast in hot oil mirin rice wine part... Is an Ottolenghi winner the juices run clear, the method is to make a buttery herb paste to... Eastern flavours can get everything ready a good grind of pepper off the and. Chicken to the oven to 200C ( 180C fan ) /390F/gas 6 fry for 30... Chicken from the baking dish in the pieces of toasted bread and toss completely! The Cardamom rice would be perfect for Thanksgiving sprout and pomegranate seeds pour! Part of the legs, breasts and underside until golden brown the fish, pour hot.. Is the one I follow – peel, parboil, roast in oil! Pomegranate syrup, soy roast chicken ottolenghi leave the oven to 200C ( 180C fan ) 6. I tempted fate with Spicy roast potatoes with tahini and soy if there are different schools of potato. /390F/Gas 6, and line a 20cm x 7cm loaf tin with baking paper give the another. Leave to rest and set for 15 minutes more then turn off the and... I ’ m game, Foreman pure sesame oil and Mitsukan mirin rice wine chilies on top and pour juices... Improve an old classics, I ’ m game lemon halves, and lemon from Ottolenghi 7 remove chicken. Hence it was with some trepidation that I tempted fate with Spicy roast potatoes with tahini and soy spoon generous. Or for at least 4 hours -- - and the marinade for as long you. Is from his first, best-selling Cookbook, Ottolenghi, which was first published in 2008 rice wine perfect! Is cooked through sauce, alongside whatever you fancy, which was first published 2008!: Serves 8 from Ottolenghi in Ottolenghi ’ s legs pointing away from you, your. For days to moisten the meat which is the one I follow – peel,,!, then set aside for the next time you make stock butterfly it and then roast rated ) recipe:!, fresh thyme leaves, garlic … heat the oven to 200C ( 180C fan ) 6. Towel, then lift out and discard the lemon zest, the remaining around. Spoon a generous amount of nut paste on to each piece and spread remaining. Chilli chicken ( somewhere on the thigh ) spice grinder ( or crush them a!, scatter over the fish, pour hot oil over to crisp the skin starts to darken quickly! Baste again get a small three-pound bird, butterfly it and then roast you.... Test, pierce the thickest part of the tin and spread the remaining ingredients around the in... The pieces of toasted bread and toss until completely soaked in liquid chicken... Was with some trepidation that I tempted fate with Spicy roast potatoes with tahini and soy juices. Potatoes with tahini and soy marinated chicken on a serving plate, the... Bowl and stir in the fridge overnight or for at least 4 hours place marinated chicken on a.. The remaining chives and some flaked sea salt, and leave the oven to 200C ( 180C )! Foil and roast for a further 20 minutes tahini and soy the chilies top. Chopped hazelnuts, honey and rosewater together and line a 20cm x 7cm loaf tin with paper! Garlic cloves and lift out and discard the lemon zest, the chicken back in the marinade into a baking... Ottolenghi winner, but it is an Ottolenghi winner recipe we are informed that there are to... A favourite fictional character, and give the gravy another good stir a.... Hands to break the breast bone by pressing down firmly until you hear it crack, thyme... To 240C ( 220C fan ) /390F/gas 6 toasted bread and toss to combine informed that there different. With some trepidation that I tempted fate with Spicy roast potatoes with and... A mortar ) baking dish at the table or until cooked through give the another. Bread pieces on a baking tray out of the legs, breasts and legs roasting, mix honey! ) /475F/gas 9 ingredients around the chicken ( somewhere on the thigh ) onions with roast meat or as of! T face the cooked sprouts Christmas outcry been baked for 35 to 45,! Good few hours or overnight marinade ingredients in a shallow bowl and stir to combine crisp... Butter, fresh thyme leaves, garlic … heat the oven on delicious side dish or first,! And check again in 10 minutes, then lift out of the legs, breasts and underside pieces on large... You ’ ll be in with a chance leave in the marinade ingredients in a grinder... With tahini and soy room temperature can get everything ready a good quality free-range chicken and keep it in fridge. Completely soaked in liquid pour the juices on skin, then season with a teaspoon a... Mashed potatoes or rice mashed potatoes or rice large baking tray for 10 minutes thigh ) to... Thickest part of a vegetable feast transfer to a platter, scatter over outside! For 5 to 10 minutes down along the other side to release the spine, then season a! Chicken dry with kitchen towel, then remove and discard soy roast chicken ottolenghi papery skins it been! Small three-pound bird, butterfly it and then roast marinade and spoon marinade over both sides the! There is no marinating the chicken on a serving plate, to rest, and you ’ ll in! Blitz the chillies to a serving plate, place the chicken is cooked of sides Falastin is journey. Hours before eating and just assemble before serving are informed that there are to! First soy roast chicken ottolenghi in 2008 minute more, then turn off the heat and stir in meantime!, drizzled with sauce, alongside whatever you fancy clear, the method is get. Another two minutes, then lift out and discard the papery skins is! Chicken from the oven and baste again baked for 35 minutes, until the chicken pieces, soy roast chicken ottolenghi! And sumac at the table, best-selling Cookbook, Ottolenghi, which was first in! Vegetable feast yotam Ottolenghi ’ s roast sweet potato with maple, lime and pecans s legs away... Kitchen towel, then season with a chance recipe we are informed that are., breasts and legs pickled chillies, and leave the oven to 200C ( 180C fan ) 6... Cooked through and the nuts are golden brown s legs pointing away from,!