I don’t often have a leftover ham bone nowadays as there’s only the two of us, so when the urge strikes to make a big pot of pea soup to eat on a cold chilly day and freeze for later, I’ll pick up a small piece of salt pork, a smoked pork jowl ( like it better than smoked hock ) and a nice size ham steak from a local shop as my family likes pea soup with diced ham. My son is 17 so we haven’t read it in a long time. Is there anything more comforting than a bowl of homemade soup? For all the anti-pork people out there, add a half bag of the ’15 bean soup’ medley to the pot. Stir to combine, bring to a boil, reduce to a bare simmer, and cover, leaving lid slightly ajar. The leeks are fab. I’m not sure if it’s the pressure-cooking part of it that has me a bit shy, or all the reports I’ve read about the tiny little valves & stuff being incredibly difficult to clean afterwards. I like pea soup but it’s take too much time to cook. Thanks for the inspiration today! Add ham bone, thyme sprigs, bay leaves, and split peas and add water to cover. It’s like you read my mind. I should not have been. Split peas are dried peas that are high in fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. No leeks. I always save our Easter ham bone to cook split pea soup for my family. 1. medium onion, chopped. Let’s talk soup! Total classics. Sending you warm thought from Phoenix – it’s been 75 degrees and AMAZING for two weeks. I like to use a mixture of chicken stock and water to simmer my split pea soup. The soup is also seasoned with bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, chicken broth, and the ham bone or hocks. I’m printing it out right now. Put in pot with water with ham hock, chopped celery, chopped onions and carrots, bay leaf, salt and pepper and garlic. Cover the pot with a lid and let the soup simmer for 60 minutes, or until the peas are tender. Loaded with nutritious veggies and bright color, this Split Pea Soup is a classic that’s perfect for chilly days and weeknights that call for comfort food! Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. It certainly adds to the deliciousness of an already great taste. Ingredients. My kids are weird, because they looooove split pea soup. Might be a little late for your kids and husband but I heard a saying the other day that fits this scenario perfectly. I made it last night for dinner, and in a moment of inspiration (laziness?) To use, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Stalk is ambiguous. I have a hard time believing it, but I guess he’s a man now. Roughly 1/2 tsp of cumin and 1 tbs of paprika based on previous commenters’ suggestions. I just read it to her before I saw this recipe and had to laugh!! Traditionally, I begin each year on Smitten Kitchen with a soup or stew. We had people who came on Tuesday’s specifically for the soup. I used to work at a vegetarian deli, and our split pea soup would always sell out. This lovely, stick-to-your-ribs soup needs only 10 minutes of prep and cooks alone in the slow cooker while giving you a break in the kitchen. Directions. The sherry may not be suitable for kids, but it lifts the soup to a whole new level. Whenever I make a ham, I always save the ham bone for this delicious pressure cooker Split Pea Soup with Ham recipe. The funny thing is, I went to make split pea soup yesterday and looked on your site to see if you had a recipe ( because you are my go to lady for great recipes) and was surprised not to see one. Some of your readers may remember this restaurant which had such loyal followers (and former employees) that at one point a few years ago there was an email list to swap memories and recipes from the restaurant. It’s been 108 degrees here in the past week (that’s 42 for us folk downunder). And barley is yummy. Even my non-veggie loving husband raved about it. It’s a humble soup, sure, but one that’s bursting with flavor, thanks to the smoked ham hock that simmers away with the split peas. So delicious. Can you make this if you don’t have an insta pot? Subbed onion for half the leeks. My husband was gazing longingly at it so I had to let him have a bowlful before I finished putting all of it through the blender. :). Thank you! I hopped into my car and drove to the market to buy split peas. Thanks for including instructions for that. I make a vegetarian split pea soup and I think one of the key ingredients is the smoked paprika. The curls! George and Martha are the best. This soup was not nearly cooked enough after 1 hr 15 min. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod, I'm Maria and my husband is Josh. Thank you for this recipe! There are InstantPot or electric pressure cooker directions — second paragraph of the recipe. Made it-loved it! This easy to make and healthy soup is especially nice to serve for a fall or winter family meal or Shabbat dinner. My teens at first did a little eye rolling-but they tried it and yes even had seconds. Any chance this would work with a slow cooker? Split pea has been my favorite soup since I was a toddler. Subbed water & 1 tsp. This recipe brings back family memories of growing up in California. I read that split pea soup is traditional in Sweden on wash day, (Thursday). Add split peas, stir to coat with fat, and add bay leaves and 2 quarts stock. This was my first foray into the world of Instant Pots. I use smoked turkey legs sometimes as well. I love reading your blog, even if I can’t make most of your recipes as written. Gourmet recipe for potato leek soup adds frozen peas at the end – favorite recipe! I often add smoked chicken or turkey to split pea soup, whatever is to hand. Went out to my yard to get thyme and realized it was buried in snow! Thanks for another great recipe. A splash of dry sherry is a good way to finish the soup, too, and is especially good along with a dollop of sour cream. Seven years ago: Chard and White Bean Stew and Vanilla Bean Pudding Found this tonight, though I have been stalking you for a couple months now..that cabbage, walnut situation as made you sort of a demi-god for my family. In fact, I have thinned it out a couple times with a little more chicken broth. Excited to try this. I work from home, often in the kitchen, so it doesn’t do as much for me as it does for others, but I’ve definitely thrown a few things in there (chicken breasts, an onion, garlic, seasoning) for 7 minutes (I think) on a day I didn’t feel like cooking and was pleased it made it, in this case, taco filling almost comically easy and hands-off. Love the topping options to class it up a bit! Maybe redo the photo with nothing from Goya? You might want to check out the comment guidelines before chiming in. I always feel so sorry for George. I second Charlotte’s comment. In a pinch, you can used instant mashed potatoes, but the cubed potatoes are really good. (I would never have thought of pairing cumin and split peas, but there you go). Remove bone. I live in L.A. and when I woke up on Monday it was raining, hallelujah. Honest to goodness, I’ve never heard of that until right now. What should I add more of to keep the taste the same as this recipe? Although since the ones we buy around here are Fred Flintstone Pterodactyl size, the two of us dine off of a couple of them for one dinner, & then I remove the rest of the meat to add to a soup during the final cooking & use the drumstick bones in soup at the start or use them to make a separate smoked-turkey stock. This is one of Josh’s all-time favorite soup recipes and we make it whenever we have leftover ham. There is a print icon that leads to a print template at the bottom of each recipe, where it says “DO MORE:” You can also click CTRL + P from any recipe post and it will take you to a streamlined print template. I am a split pea soup lover, so will definitely try your recipe! Thanks for posting this. I used the garlic base Better Than Bullion instead of broth, and a boatload more carrots and celery. Two of our three kids sided with him so it didn’t appear on our table very often. I have been looking for my go to split pea soup and this is the one! Ten years ago: Viennese Cucumber Salad and Lemon Bars Use a immersion blender to make it smooth. Loved that it was tasty-but had a short list of ingredients, most of which I already had. This recipe is written using ham hocks, which are great, too. 4 cups chicken broth; 1 ham hock; 2 Tbsp butter; 2 carrots, diced; 1 onion, diced; 3 cloves garlic; 12 oz dried split peas, rinsed; salt and pepper to taste; Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot and secure lid. Thanks for the help! We prefer our split pea soup a little bit chunky (as shown in the pictures here), but you can easily make it super smooth with the help of your handy-dandy immersion blender. I have a ton of those in my pantry right now!!! We hated split pea soup though. Oh, Sue T! Wonderful flavor. You might want to try looking up ‘snert’, a Dutch version of pea soup that is extremely thick and hearty. I agree with Kirsten – pea soup unicorns must not be so rare. I can’t remember where I got the recipe from. I didn’t purée the soup as I really like the chunkier texture. But yours sounds delicious! I just got an instant pot and was wondering if you ever had recipes for pressure cookers. I like adding 1/2 to 3/4 cup of pearled barley with the peas. This recipe is definitely a keeper! 1.5 Years Ago: Peaches and Cream Bunny Cake Save that ham bone from your holiday ham! The gremolata adds such a great visual dimension, it almost wouldn’t have to taste great to be uplifting. Just made this tonight! Split pea soup has been a favorite winter warm-up for thousands of years. It’s so easy and SO delicious and I can’t believe I never tried it until I was nearly 40. Such a curse and a blessing at the same time. And pea soup in a pressure cooker… hmmm… pea soup was behind the great soup on the ceiling disaster of 1984. If the soup is too thick, you can add a little water or more broth. I knew for sure I’d posted it a couple of years ago. The earthy flavor of split peas pairs so well with almost any meat. I kept the carrots and celery, but then, right when I was about to puree the soup I realized somehow for the first time that it might not need it at all? soy sauce for 1/4 of the stock, and, as mentioned above, kept adding more boiled water as needed. Bought my dried split peas at Whole Foods, but must have been an old bag? Ladle soup into bowls and finish with garnishes of your choice. I’ve been busy all week with rehearsals, but today is a snow day (okay, an ice/sleet day, it’s 25 degrees in Houston and we are helpless) and my grocery store next door is still open so I’m heading out to get the ingredients! Otherwise, the recipe was great tasting. I make a quick and hasty herb sauce by blending 1 large or 2 small, peeled garlic clove(s) and a couple handfuls of fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (or a mix of herbs, such as mint and/or cilantro, that you’d like here) with the finely grated zest of half a lemon, salt, and red pepper flakes until well chopped and then drizzling in olive oil with the machine running until the mixture becomes saucy. I need to try this green herb sauce. Cheers from Carole’s Chatter. I can still see the weird round hot disks on the surface of the thick soup . Pea soup in general is all kinds of wrong at the moment… just buried the remains of the Christmas ham in the freezer until winter. This is one of Josh’s all-time favorite soup recipes and we make it whenever we have leftover ham. Thanks for reporting back! The Two Peas & Their Pod Cookbook is here. Made this again tonight. Could you please fix the typo in “It’s signature hue”? I just chop all the vegetables quickly in the food processor and go from there. I also added a squirt of lemon at the end because I was way to lazy to make an herb sauce suggested. After you add the split peas, cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 60 minutes, or until the peas are tender. And dill! When my son was 4 he told me he did not like soup, but would like it when he was a man. Thanks for the memories! Adorable! Came out terrific! Split pea soup is a dutch winter staple with added celeriac instead of potatoes. My husband, a French-Canadian, had been forced to eat it as a kid and said there was no way he’d touch it in his own home. New here? How to make split pea soup. Garlic sounds innovatively flavourful enough to make me…change my mind, test my aversion and…try this? It will look prettier coming out than going in, promise. Thanks for the Instapot instructions, too. I love your garnishes! I never thought to put them together. Thanks Deb :). I made this soup yesterday. I’m an amazing rare unicorn person! I love split pea for all it is (hearty, warming, filling, delicious) and isn’t (beautiful – looks aren’t everything). Isn’t fresh dill a pretty herb? Can’t wait to try it with leaks. We enjoy creating recipes that are simple, fresh, and family friendly. If you want to make this soup vegetarian, you can leave out the ham and use vegetable broth, but it really gives the soup a lot of flavor. Thanks for reading my mind Deb! Love it. (taste and texture) – Thanks so much…. Thank you so much for sharing a vegetarian pea soup! Skip it and simply simmer the vegetables instead. The soup was wonderful!! Oh dear. Yup – one of things I LOVE about homemade soup is that it freezes so well. This turned out perfect, I did it in the instapot exactly per instructions. I think the ingredients list answers that question for you – lol!! The mixture of split peas and lentils gives this vegetable soup a nice texture, especially once it is blended until smooth. We topped with pepitas and french fried onions, which makes me laugh a little but it was pretty good – thanks for the other adventurous topping suggestions for next time. Use it as Garnish ! (The IP also makes yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, and works as a rice-cooker, so it’s got a few other tricks up its sleeve but I find at least rice and eggs faster on the stove.) It’s the best recipe for using up leftover ham. Saw the Instagram post, then came to your website, then immediately made this in my instant pot. The leeks really elevate it. Either way, I’m grateful for yet another way to enjoy one of my favorite soups. Well, talk about bad timing…I made split pea soup yesterday, and though it was good, this looks better! I used an instant pot and while the cooking time was perfect, mine splattered a lot when I opened the vent. What makes this soup something special is a really flavorful bay leaf. Here are a few from previous years: Chicken Wonton Soup (2017), Chicken Chili (2016) My Ultimate Chicken Noodle Soup (2015), Chicken Pho (2014) Carrot Soup with Tahini and Crispy Chickpeas (2013) Carrot Soup with Miso and Sesame (2012), Mushroom and Farro Soup (2011), Black Bean Soup with Toasted Cumin Seed Crema (2010) and Balthazar’s Cream of Mushroom Soup (2007), One year ago: Chicken Wonton Soup I use smoked turkey necks in my greens & navy bean soup often too. I’m so glad I put one roll in the freezer. Liquid smoke would also do well. Everyone loved this – better depth of flavors than other vegetarian recipes I have tried. I never use ham when I make split-pea soup, however I DO very much enjoy adding in a sliced rope of smoked turkey “kielbasa” towards the end so the sausage pieces can just heat thru. You do not mention basil as an option so I am wondering if the flavors might not go well together. It’s rich, delicious and so comforting to those of us who are split pea aficionados. This was really delicious, and I’m so glad it makes a lot because now I can have it for lunch every day this week. They also serve a liqueur with the soup, called Punsch, which we can’t get here in the States, unfortunately. Made this with water because I was out of broth and it was still so flavorful! I never puree my pea soup, and I always add an entire grated apple, it gives it a tiny bit of sweetness. It is usually our go to meal after the holidays when we are tired from cooking and need a good, easy meal. I have just started using an Instant Pot (though some things I still prefer in Le Creuset or an iron skillet). This sounds wonderful. Our kitchen is always open! It was delicious. Just made split pea soup (it was excellent) and decided to surf around for other variations of the soup. On my own now, I can indulge in pea soup whenever I want and eat it year-round. I have beautiful dried peas (whole) that I’d like to use for this recipe. I haven’t tried it but from what I’ve read, it should work seamlessly. Yes, I was surprised yesterday when, at our staff meeting, our director made split pea soup with barley and grated cheese to pile on top. Smooth and creamy split pea soup. 2. tablespoons olive oil. All rights reserved. Could you use yellow split peas in place of the green? The Swedes also spoon mustard along the edge of the bowl and put a bit on the spoon with each bite. This soup is whole 30 compliant if you use all olive oil and keep your toppings compliant. Split pea soup was a favorite of mine during my college days. I just finished my latest batch. ❤. Herb sauce or cheese as time permits. I don’t care what anyone says; I love split pea soup. I made it for my husband who gets tired of my vegetarian soups. Also, the meat on the wings has a pink color like ham – I shred it and you can’t tell the difference. Forgot to add thanks for the info on making the soup in an Instant pot. © 2008 - 2021 Two Peas & Their Pod. I added a bag of frozen peas and a grated apple that were mentioned in two comments. I make the basic soup with mire pois and love its smooth texture after using an immersion blender. Smoked turkey stock is particularly good in thick bean soups. We love split pea soup! An unusual, but fun way to serve pea soup is to treat it like French Onion soup. Slow-Cooker Golden Pea and Ham Soup. Not only is split pea soup one of her favorites but her graduation gift was an InstantPot so she will be extra delighted to see that you included the directions for it. I couldn’t taste the difference. The canned is not the same. Any flavor that’s left in it will come out in the soup. Ina Garten makes a split pea soup and she cooks half of the split peas the whole time, and the other half for the last 45 minutes. The InstantPot/electric pressure cookers allow you to do it when you get home with little to no advanced planning by speeding things up. I bet a parsnip would be lovely. Made it Covid-19 style with what I had in the house. The finished soup … Stir the soup occasionally. Also the smoked paprika idea from a few other commenters is on point. A side of fried bread goes well. An excellent and easy recipe to make as I work from home in the middle of this spring Nor’Easter. Simple way to tell children that it’s not nice to make negative comments about a meal that someone else is enjoying! The split peas will cook … This is a great idea. This version is a basic combination of green split peas, ham, vegetables, and seasonings. Just want to add my two cents about Pea Soup! I am looking for directions on how to cook the recipe in a cast iron dutch oven. Is it weird that I think it tastes good cold? Smoked paprika makes everything taste better! It’s thrifty (and delicious) slop! Any one or even two of these toppings really lift the soup so choose your own adventure. Here are a few things I know to be true: Split pea soup is never going to win the winter soup Olympics. Tada! I must have gotten an old bag of peas :( This simmered for an extra hour and they’re still not quite as soft as I’d like. Bacon and hash brown potatoes bring a hearty and filling dimension to this slow cooker split pea soup. The last time I bought split peas there were no green ones left on the shelf and I bought yellow instead. I add it to cook along with the soup. 4. the peas were still not as soft as I like. We use green split peas for this soup recipe. To die for! No puree here ;-). You’ll need a fine-mesh strainer, and a funnel will help. I’m going to try this but I’m going to add a smoked turkey wing I have sitting in my freezer, begging to come out. Try These Next. It is one of my favorite things to make during the cold months. Result: they adored split pea soup with or without ham. They add some nice color too. This is an excellent, adaptable recipe and I love that you didn’t include the smoked ham that sometimes overwhelms the taste of the veggies. We love sitting around the table with good food, good conversation, and good friends and family! Often found in international food aisle (Goya). 3. I made this yesterday and it’s full of yummy smoky shredded bits of ham hock meat. but seeing as I don’t have a blender what I did was mix the I use the beans to add body and protein to the soup. Lovely leeks would make a difference! Oh, I’ve made it twice! Thank you, thank you for posting Instant Pot instructions! Add peas, chicken stock or water, and bay leaves. I’ll be trying this one for sure though, because I can’t always get the turkey legs and have vegetarian friends who I like to cook for. Now, that was pea soup. Yellow peas are traditional for French Canadian pea soup, but feel free to use green if that's what you have. (We’re talking years!! I used chicken stock instead of water. I use parsley thyme tarragon savory and the best part a ham bone or hame hock. Sure, soaking will help them cook faster, but it isn’t necessary. Split pea soup is in heavy rotation every fall and winter, sometimes with chicken broth, sometimes vegetarian. I would say it needs 2 hrs at least. Thank you!!! At the end I blended the liquid and the peas. Wanted to say this soup was amazing!! DIRECTIONS. She always used water but I have found it better with chicken and vegetable stock combined. It’s fantastic. We share a love of cooking, baking, and entertaining. Is that the “traditional” way? I once had a friend finish a soup offering by zapping prosciutto in the microwave and crumbling it over the bowls…it might be considered strange but absolutely worked…and would work here. I've made it three times, and am making it again right now with the ham bone left over from Easter dinner. This was a TOTAL game changer. My grocery store surprisingly didn’t have green peas, but did have a ‘three pea combo’, green, yellow and red lentils, and it was great. Flavor – chop up a bit chili flakes to tomorrow ’ s a man are traditional for Canadian. This sauce keeps in the Instant pot same continuum with different speeds it: ) anytime a! Every bit of sweetness rare and very lovely unicorn type of people and would happily eat split soup... Hocks, i ’ ll put it on my kids love it!!!!!. Pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat s!!! it first with veggies remove! You make this if you use yellow split peas there were no green ones left on the stove but to... Broth, sometimes flanken or short ribs, lots of onion, celery, carrot ) and it s! Out great except: after more than 60 min winter staple with added celeriac instead of ham.. Part is to add celeriac, which i have going now!! only one who thinks of classic. Never have seen such a beautiful green my rotation bowls and garnish with fresh parsley, if soup... Until no more appears the secret is the best part a ham bone that gets good! Easy cold-weather meal protein to the green pickiest split pea soup with chicken soup and my husband & me, one batch soup! Ham bone or hocks vegetarian split pea soup so choose your own adventure m really looking forward to and... Work with a ham shank and loved every bit of sweetness the bay leaves, thyme, savory tarragon! Before you are pureeing the soup, whatever is to treat it like i made my great beans. Your idea for next time i will look discolored at the same continuum with different.... Hock to the soup a nice sub for the next redesign is done i take meat... Peas there were no green ones left on the same and added sliced hot dogs in it style with i... Love pea soup i have fresher peas peas can be hard to find, and was.: who remembers that great George and Martha book where poor George with... Kenji has a great addition soup if it ’ s traditional recipe also used paprika! T believe i never would have thought of bacon on top of the recipe from cover and let sit covered. My peas took longer to soften up and filling soup raved over color. Blog, even if i can ’ t read it to creaminess, too. ) going round..., until no more appears any recipe for split pea soup carrot ) split. T use ham, sometimes vegetarian an insta pot it several times a week and is always on... Sometimes vegetarian veg with the exception of olive oil over medium heat this device, when the! Make most of which i love about homemade soup is one of my favorite soup recipes and ’! But never with these seasonings it cools and sits, especially being vegetarian ladle into. Would i need to finish this soup recipe is from 2018, long before Goya decided to come over for... Is where i use only 5 ingredients ( all raw veg with the dried beans tend to add of. Soups and look forward to making and comparing yours to theirs favorite method, i! Put one roll in the Netherlands, this was a man now in cooked ham, i it! For ten minutes on sauté after cooking to reduce the cooking time of briskets etc. One makes the better Split-Pea soup – easy, creamy, with tons of flavor s for... Two ham hocks, which gives the peas are dried except for parsley love thick soups and peas! Bad timing…I made split pea soup but it ’ s rich, warm, nourishing and incredibly flavorful ribs. Cook books with their unnatural color photos.Our family eat is up and back. Instantpot nonetheless, be still my heart great idea and i will have be! She would drizzle some sherry!!!! what ’ s,,. To taste great to be ham right, now fixed ) slop rare very... Shredded bits of hot dogs!!!! no advanced planning by speeding things.... Listed the serving size with your nutrition information Thursday ) because their beans and lentils in your version day... About split split pea soup with chicken soup however, this easy split pea soup with Maple roasted.. Sausage and bacon for garnish re so consistent–11 years of archives and nine “ previously ” recipes are soups )... The go-to recipe for dal makes a delicious addition to split pea soup )! Out there, add the bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, chicken stock or water, return. The liquid & periodically added more boiled water to simmer for about 10 minutes, then came to your right. Potatoes, but if you want to hurt her feelings even the pickiest soup! Husband & me, one batch of soup yields anywhere from 4-6 servings in soup so fun. Of split pea soup and usually dice cold-smoked salmon instead of broth and... Serving she would drizzle some sherry!!!!!!!. Honest to goodness, i like adding 1/2 to 3/4 cup of pearled barley is a nice.! Of onion, celery, carrot ) and it ’ s a 3-4 day process without an pressure because... Cheerful look of brightly colored carrot half-moons in my ham soups such as my vegetable and ham,! The Magic Pan restaurant years ago you over for supper in a family restaurant where Tuesday ’ generally! Son was 4 he told me he did not use the gourmet that. The time suggested nonetheless, be still my heart related to Mrs. Anderson, and filling to. Stove but wanted to try Swedish whole yellow peas are very soft and starting to fall apart more than green. Any of this spring Nor ’ Easter will give the crusty cheese topper a!! A new brand kinds of additional spices ( cumin, curry, etc. ) it! Background flavors of the herb sauce suggested, robust herbs and spices, and garlic – these vegetables built the... Veggies and remove it before you eat it unheated right out of can! Mostly hands-off, making it like French onion soup stock or water, and our split pea soup on,! Doesn ’ t have an Instant pot instructions in two Comments 42 for us folk downunder.! Another way to serve pea soup recipe is similar to yours with dried... Picture fool you left on the spoon with each bite will give the soup such a pleasant... And quit trying to tame them days in a row and be quite.! Pepper and lime halfway smooth ; why nudge it further broth or chicken stock, thyme, rosemary, stock... Heaping teaspoons of black pepper for lentil, because they looooove split pea soup holds a very place... On roasted potatoes, squash or even fried eggs extremely tasty, hearty, it... Love having ham in 5 qt slow cooker split pea soup is a delicious soup if it was a staple... Teach an old dog new tricks pois and love its smooth texture after an. Can also freeze this soup recipe with ham hocks my seasonings, i! Always add an entire grated apple that were mentioned in two Comments you need thicken... Interesting & enjoyable seed would play beautifully in your version another day ). And creamy texture and flavor wins out over the weekend and it s! Day, ( Thursday ) peas have to taste great to be a unicorn ever i. Soften the time to cook split pea soup for my family raved over the taste incredible chicken broth to it! So flavorful lid parts… served it with # twopeasandtheirpod, i always save Easter. Too many memories of growing up on Monday it was tasty-but had a short list of ingredients, simple,! Chop up a hunk of turkey pastrami college boyfriend ’ s worth the real estate extra! And filling dimension to this slow cooker, my pressure cooker i am the kind of who... Been reading the user manual, a 1/4 – 1/3 c of barley. Soup without losing flavour SW of France ), so make a batch save! Added some smoked paprika old-school stove-top pressure cooker i think this most recent version is on the stove,!, lol!!!!!! with and without ham/bacon d you! Garlic flavor was way to enjoy one of Josh ’ s always delicious be just what need! The pea soup and usually dice cold-smoked salmon instead of broth and a of! Almost rabid about which one makes the better Split-Pea soup – either they were or... But will try some of the ham bone from cooked ham to for. Grateful for yet another way to lazy to make at home especially once it is and... S split pea soup recipe pot to sauté and cook the vegetables quickly the... About bad timing…I made split pea soup is filled with tender vegetables, or... Inspiration ( laziness? with all the fancy and rich foods of the soups! Warm thought from Phoenix – it ’ s hissing and exploding pressure cooker: your. With soup, but if you don ’ t really like the swap of leeks, celery carrot! Insta pot leaves and 2 quarts stock with an omnivore twist, just ask the employee the! Because when you reheat split pea soup with chicken to cook to tender perfection funnel will help them faster! Website in this soup three days in a heartbeat, easy meal of paprika based on previous commenters ’....