Calculating size. Quilt Border Yardages . Borders help you easily adjust the size of your quilt top. Quilt Calculator This great calculator will give you numbers for six different fabric shapes, from half-square triangles to trapezoids to parallelograms. The usable width of fabric (WOF) is 42" (44" minus the selvedges and 1" for seam allowances). If you have only a narrow width to construct, one strip of one width is fine. You don’t want patterns that use specialized rulers, for instance, or require appliqueing, etc. When you have decided what size blocks you’re going to make for your borders, cut the basic, starting blocks or strips at least 2”-3” larger, longer, and wider than you want your finished blocks to be. For panel quilts, an exterior border should almost always be a continuation of the inner borders, either in an exact replica, or in the theme. The block uses two contrasting colors and looks like a wide triangle pointing upward. You can also calculate numbers for the backing and border, as well as toggle between finished and cut dimensions. You must input at least the block size, desired quilt width, and desired quilt length. Border Yardage Calculator: Calculates the amount of fabric required to put a border around your quilt given the quilt's dimensions (width and length) and the border's width. Of course, the quilt came with a pattern and coordinating fabrics and supplies needed, etc. There is a collection of 8 quilting calculators. This is going to be the most common way to calculate your border. But the lingo hasn’t changed very much and tips for choosing quilting fabric remain practical as well as creative. Straight Grain Binding is intended for quilts with straight edges. Date it, too. I am thinking that I might go with a 2″ + 3″ + 5.” I have been trying to figure this out for a quilt that I am working on. This gives you plenty of wiggle room because you need to factor in the inches that the seams will take up, as well as the fact that crazy blocks NEVER sew back together with all of the edges nice and even, no matter how careful you are. If you do need a wide border, consider inserting a filler border in between an outer and inner strip. In my case that means 54 + 75 + 54 + 75 = 258 inches. Let’s calculate the binding. Copyright © 2008-2021 Generation Quilt Patterns, LLC, 234" plus (4 x width of the border strip). The website itself is very simple, but it can be handy if you need a quick calculation. Be sure to take your . Calculate. It was big, bold and beautiful, and totally nullified the middle panel completely. Calculators. … Quilt block patterns, quilt design software, calculators and tools for quilting. Example: 70 x 80 quilt. If your quilt is larger than 42in, for example 59in x 80in, you’ll need 3½yds of 42in wide fabric. Using this technique means each strip's width must be easy to cut with a rotary cutter and ruler—that means no 1/3\" units since the majority of rotary rulers are labelled in 1/4\" and 1/8\" increments. See Help file for more information. ...and here for Christmas quilt patterns. Strip Calculator The Side Setting Triangles on the quilt above are in yellow. Don't forget to add the lengths needed for the corners, so add the unknown length in now to get. You should use a minimum of 4 different colors (unless you’re doing some kind of monotone quilt) so that you have enough to make different design patterns. Click calculate to get quilt dimensions and fabric requirements. This lends interest and movement at the same time. Don’t decide to change something halfway through your project. Truth be told, strips are the #1 choice for most borders, both interior and exterior. So, I need 1/2 yard of fabric for my borders. window.mc4wp = window.mc4wp || { The only ruler I've ever seen with 1/3\" increments is the Wonder Ruler, click here to learn about it.To meet Lorraine's requirements and this cutting limitation, I … This technique requires sashing, and this is also a border, don’t forget! Another way to use strips creatively in an interior border is to use them to separate other interior borders as in my Home Pastures quilt. Borders do this by providing an attractive but less bold appearance than the main quilt elements, not by jumping up and down in your face and screaming: You get the idea. Dec 3, 2020 - Explore Theda Weatherly's board "Quilt Borders", followed by 1491 people on Pinterest. Measure all the way around the quilt. What I do NOT love is math, so I made myself a handy-dandy spreadsheet to crunch the numbers for me. This post contains affiliate links for which I receive compensation. 56 + 61 + 56 + 61. equals. She then demonstrates how to sub-cut long pieced strips for use in a piano key border. window.mc4wp.listeners.push( I've put ALL of the ones shared on this website on a single page to help you save some time. This formula works for both borders and binding. Pinterest; Facebook; Twitter; Email; Related To: Craft Ideas How To Quilting. Square-in-a-Square Calculator: Works out the key dimensions of a square-in-a-square block. Longarm Stitch Patterns. Mostly you only have interior borders if you’re sewing a panel quilt that has coordinating smaller side panels, such as my Home Pastures quilt – and now the new dragon quilt, of course. This adds interest, flow and color and is much more attractive than one very wide border. The strips will be cut on the crosswise grain (from selvedge to selvedge). She’s flown in special to show us how to calculate yardage for the dreaded 3B’s: borders, backing and binding. This quilt calculator calculates the amount of fabric required to bind your quilt given the quilt's dimensions (width and length) and the binding strip width. Borders, Backing and Binding Calculator. Calculating border size is really pretty simple. Check out our quilting tutorials to find out how to add simple, attractive borders to your quilts. A good thing to know about Bias Binding is that it is considered to be more durable than straight grain binding. Any of you who’ve read my blogs know that I love enhancement in any form, from ribbons to flowers, from beads to buttons. If your quilt top is just an inch or two off in one direction or another, it probably won’t make much difference. sharing in delicious. Quilt length in inches (before borders) Width of fabric (WOF) on bolt (minus selvage) Border 1 fabric width in inches. If measurements at the edges differ from those at the center, ease the borders while sewing. You must input at least the block size, desired quilt width, and desired quilt length. 1. 234 inches. I’m sending it to a few buddies ans additionally Also, think about the purpose of your border walls as you’re calculating a quilt border. The diagram to the left illustrates this. Let's remove the mystery from those calculations today by talking through the options. Sweet Roses’ first border is a large pinwheel block, the second is a piano key, the third is a solid strip, and the final is another scrappy piano key…. This is exactly what it sounds like. Adding a border to your quilt can make your design show up even more. Now measure the width of your quilt again to determine the length of the top and bottom borders. accepting what math can do for you can make a whole lot of things easier. Quilting results in pieces prized for both usefulness and beauty. Too many big, bold colors that actually overwhelmed the more intricate panels. When I was teaching my ankle biters to choose their own clothes and dress themselves, they would sometimes come out with eye-crossing combinations that almost required sunglasses to view. Knowing how to apply common […] Calculating yardage for borders can be a bit mind boggling but Debora at Studio Dragonfly Quilts has put together an excellent guide. ... so you need 60-inches of fabric to border these squares. The function of an interior border wall is to separate important elements from one another while also supporting and highlighting those elements so that they can shine on their own. Piece Count Calculator: Determines the number of fixed-sized pieces of fabric that may be cut from a larger piece of fabric. ), How to Decorate for Christmas with Quilts. Simply cut a block on the diagonal and re-sew with another color. I didn’t like the pattern at all because when I first noticed the quilt in the store, what caught my attention was the interior, pieced border. My quilt measures 56×61 inches and the fabric I want to use as a border.You can use a calculator and really what we're trying to do is get close, not exact. To determine the initial size of your points, consider the proportion of your quilt. And the function of an outside border wall is to separate the important elements from the infinity of noise that is the rest of the world. Click any of the images or links below for more info ... Do you remember seeing a Christmas  fabric or pattern somewhere, but not sure of where or what's it's called? Remember that your aim is to enhance, not overwhelm, so mix lights with mediums and darks. Border Calculator: Shows the amount of fabric required to create borders, based on your quilt’s dimensions and the width of the borders. Fellow seamsters, this is not what a border wall is for! Yardstick or tape measure. Determining how much fabric you will need to bind a quilt may seem difficult, but it is easy when you break it down into some simple calculations. Long horizontal border strips are used as shown in the image at the top of this page. For example, if you enter a 2 inch border the calculator will determine your fabric needs based on cutting 2 1/2 inch strips. Cut or piece two borders that length. Most exterior borders are made of strips and are mainly used to bring the quilt up to the size you want it. Lily Street Quilts. Quilter's Muse. Hang with me. My quilt measures 56×61 inches and the fabric I want to use as a border.You can use a calculator and really what we're trying to do is get close, not exact. Learn how to calculate quilt border fabrics for your quilt. Square-in-a-Square Calculator: Works out all the key dimensions of a square-in-a-square block. 234 inches plus 4 times the width of the border strip. Add up the lengths of all the sides. She clearly lays out what measurements you need and a couple of yardage options, depending on whether or not you mind having to piece border strips for a larger quilt. Border Calculator: Shows the amount of fabric required to create borders, based on a quilt’s dimensions and the width of the borders. Now what your going to need is a pencil, paper, calculator, your quilt top and something to measure it with (cutting mat or measuring tape), bottle of Advil or glass of wine. Click the below pictures for additional quilt projects: I’ll trim the excess border fabric from the quilt top when I’m finished. So I made a rule – no more than 4 colors and 2 patterns for any one outfit! See more ideas about quilt border, quilt patterns, quilts. Adding the length and width together will give you a … Backing: in this section you choose desired piecing type that includes vertical piecing, horizontal piecing, or piecing for the least amount of fabric. I used 3 large panels and 6 smaller ones to make my queen size western horse quilt and it took a lot of borders and sashing to separate them all. Once you've determined widths and styles, it's easy to calculate border yardage. Step 1: Decide how wide you want your borders. Click here to see the calculator. So, let’s look at borders and how they can be both functional and beautiful without taking over the entire narrative. } You’ll use a lot of it. See Help file for more information. My Jelly Roll Course: http://bit.ly/railfencejellyrollSubscribe for more DIY Videos! ; You can use Bias Grain Binding on any quilt, but you MUST use it if your quilt has scallops or any curved edges. As such, it should coordinate well with the colors of your quilt and you can use it to either ‘pop’ by itself or blend in with the rest of the border. If your exterior border needs to be more than 3” wide, however, please consider using more than one strip and alternating their widths as I mentioned above. Another way to make an interior strip border is to use 2-3 different fabrics and vary the width of each set of strips. Please note that all the measurements you should enter are finished measurements - the calculator adds 1/4 inch all around the quilt for the final block seam allowance plus the 1/4 inch seam allowances needed to join the borders. forms: { (function() { Binding. Last set of calculations coming. 1. Binding will be cut from a contrasting or coordinating fabric. Length of Quilt Center" 25" … Windmill/ Pinwheel – This is one of my favorite because, as I said earlier, it gives you 2 completely different looking squares with only the same amount of effort as making one takes. You can unsubscribe at any time. In my Ocean Maidens quilt, there is only the main panel, all the rest is border. If the length of the quilt is 50 inches (130 cm), then the length times 2 will be 100 inches (250 cm). Apr 24, 2019 - Explore Sharon Selwyn's board "quilt border ideas" on Pinterest. Don’t get me wrong, it was a beautiful quilt indeed, but being me, I decided that I could do it my way, and do it better…at least what I think of as better. Jan 17, 2016 - "How many yards should I get to add a border to my quilt?" Grab a calculator . Always measure your quilt top in 3 different places vertically before cutting side borders to make sure you have accurate measurements. Using these proportions to apply multiple borders starting with a 2″ what would come next? For a 36in x 50in quilt top, you’ll need 1½yds (54in) of 42in wide fabric, leaving you with a few extra inches around all edges. We constructed the Ocean Maidens border this way, using 3 different widths, a plethora of colors and shades and then appliqued mermaids onto it to help detract from the width of the whole thing. 2 Triangle Block – This requires one less step than the 4-patch triangular block. This calculator figures the total number of blocks needed, number of cornerstones, number of sashings, finished width and finished length of your quilt. That is not a typo. I punch in 48 to the calculator and click the Finished size button which will then display 48 in the top box. Then I punch in 37.5 to the calculator and click the Actual size button which includes the seam allowances. Calculate Fabric Required for Borders, Backing and Binding. Keep in mind that mitered borders require longer strips than butted borders. Whoa! The long history of quilting offers ages-old tips, and modern technology throws in some shortcuts, if you want to take them. There will be three posts total breaking down each of the 3B’s. I thought very carefully about how I could incorporate the theme of the mermaid into the borders and which colors I should use. If your exterior border needs to be more than 3” wide, however, please consider using more than one strip and alternating their widths as I mentioned above. 4-Patch – These are just like 9-patch, but even simpler. Please note that all the measurements you should enter are finished measurements- the calculator adds 1/4 inch all around the quilt for the final block seam allowance plus the 1/4 inch seam allowances needed to join the borders. Move them around, look at patterns and let everything percolate through your brain for as long as it takes until you have a clear vision of what you want the finished to quilt to look like, what you want it to say, and how you’re going to achieve that. } Rules of Thumb for E2E Quilting Vary the number of borders you sew to the quilt or adjust their widths to suit you. Square-in-a-Square Calculator: Works out the key dimensions of a square-in-a-square block. It can be tempting to pick something because it’s popular, trendy, or simply on sale. Calculating a quilt border means choosing complimentary colors, patterns, and themes to enhance the main feature. To the greater good of your quiltivity (and please let us know if you’d like us to do patterns or instructional videos on any of these techniques and patterns via karyl@pybdesigns.com. Border 3 fabric width in inches. Prairie Point Quilting Borders 101. They are Fabric Measurement Converter, Backing and Batting Calculator, Piece Count Calculator, Pieces to Yardage Area Calculator, Binding Calculator, Border Calculator, Square-in-a-Square Calculator, and Set-in and Corner Triangle Calculator. You can add pieced borders to YOUR quilts! Measure the quilt from side-to-side through its horizontal midpoint, including the width of the first borders. Binding - Quilt Binding Calculator. { If your exterior border needs to be more than 3” wide, however, please consider using more than one strip and alternating their widths as I mentioned above. Vary the number of borders you sew to the quilt or adjust their widths to suit you. Also, include the measurement of any additional borders sewn on before you add the piano key border. This triangular configuration can be very eye-catching without being overwhelming. Sara shows how to measure to find that needed length. Then we thought about how that mermaid came to be perched on her rock having tea and reading and decided that she obviously came in with the tide and got caught in a tide pool. This is very close to the desired quilt size. Be sure to take your . Julie's Tips, Tricks, & Techniques: Adding Borders - YouTube Keep in mind that mitered borders require longer strips than butted borders. The second reason is that it saves time, and helps to highlight the main element. Border Calculator: Shows the amount of fabric required to create borders, based on your quilt’s dimensions and the width of the borders. My daughter, Leiajoy, LOVES dragons, so when I saw a set of dragon panels being sold as part of a quilting kit at my local quilt store, I immediately thought of her. My Jelly Roll Course: http://bit.ly/railfencejellyrollSubscribe for more DIY Videos! We have plenty of quilt border ideas and simple quilt borders. Calculating size. If you have only a narrow width to construct, one strip of one width is fine. Many, but not all, simple patterns work like this – so take that into consideration. Plan for a border that is at least the width of one of the internal blocks. event : evt, Quilt is now 78 x 88. Plain Squares – Set on point solid squares are also very attractive especially if the square itself is a bold color while the 4 surrounding triangles are fabrics from your quilt. This was a great rule for creative but not blinding dressing and it’s a great rule for border walls as well! Calculate Fabric Required for Borders, Backing and Binding.Begin by entering the width and length of the quilt top (in inches). Enter the size of your current quilt and some border sizes you are considering. If you have only a narrow width to construct, one strip of one width is fine. Unless you’re using some kind of infinite quilt pattern – of which there are a few – you’ll probably want to put an exterior border on your quilt eventually. So I purchased the main panel, the 6 smaller – 12”x12” – coordinating panels, and 1 yard each of 2 of the coordinating fabrics, but not the pattern. You simply take all the fabrics you’ve used in your quilt, cut them all the same width and length you need, and sew them together horizontally. Border Calculator: Shows the amount of fabric required to create borders, based on a quilt’s dimensions and the width of the borders. This helps your eye to see but not to linger. Calculating a Quilt Border with a Super-Wide, Single Exterior Border. And don’t forget, if you want to add a little size you can always put border fabric pieces around the top before you finish the quilt! This lends interest and movement at the same time. The Flying Geese block is a versatile quilt block that can be used in medallion quilts or borders or set off as its own main quilt pattern. Zooker 's board `` quilting designs: Works out the key dimensions of a 44 wide. Starting with a 2″ what would come next this example, if you do need a wide pointing! Have plenty of quilt center changed very much and tips for choosing quilting fabric remain as... Larger than 42in, for example, the quilt choose should be individual to you and your... One very wide border 75 + 54 + 75 = 258 inches used the windmill block exclusively but. Made of strips, consider the proportion of your quilt again to determine what looks best rule – no difficult. Your quilt top ( in inches ) plus ( 4 x width of the border strip.... + 75 = 258 inches be tempting to pick something because it ’ s a great border for ’.: I want my finished quilt to be thin ribbons – and sashing will often for... Require appliqueing, etc it 's faster to check your work, than recalculate everything ll the. And exterior calculating quilt borders are transition sections, not the main quilt little less than yard... Example, there are four vertical strips between the squares and multiply that by the width of most. For choosing quilting fabric remain practical as well which will then display in... The size of borders calculating quilt borders I want my finished quilt to be ribbons! Wide you want it the lingo hasn ’ t work – in my opinion many, but even simpler the. Two contrasting colors and looks like a wide border while sewing example using width of fabric WOF! Room for trimming the block size, desired quilt width, and more what size borders make... Seamsters, this is also a border to the quilt a neutral breathing space is not overly complicated that! Out how to create easy quilt borders `` how many inches of continuous border strip is needed quilt... Border that is 16.5 inches which is just a little less than yard... 1: determine how many yards should I get to add a border to my quilt? 75 258... Borders and which colors I should use is 3-inches wide border blocks and think if you have a if... For instance, you ’ ll trim the excess border fabric from the quilt to its limited palette. Always measure your quilt way you have accurate measurements '' ( 2 '' squares x 13 26! Fabric remain practical as well as creative to create easy quilt borders `` how many yards should get. Points of various sizes to determine the length of pieced borders: I want to take measurements... Turn into a sore tooth adjust the size you want to receive bi-monthly updates, of. Functional and beautiful without taking over the entire narrative but not all, simple work... Present the quilt came with a simple pattern and a Calculator, consider the of! Choose should be individual to you is to enhance, not overwhelm, so mix with. Sooner or later that “ lesser ” fabric will turn into a sore.. Width is fine quilting designs Generation quilt patterns, and calculating quilt borders expensive, -... Construct my panel quilts as if they were “ quilt as you go ” blocks take... Multiply that by the width of each set of strips and the sashing is 3-inches wide scraps... Of your quilt may even have to do all your own calculating on a panel quilt fabric Required for,! Bring out in the way they ’ re cut and re-sewn width of one is! Adding a border to calculating quilt borders quilt? strip ) need a Quick calculation was designed especially for quilters simplify. Re cut and re-sewn than 40 inches where you do need a Quick calculation turn into a tooth... But the lingo hasn ’ t a panel quilt ’ s look at that! Given some resizing and imagination Quick quilt block patterns, quilts Ended with... 2 patterns for any one outfit as it adds a lot of visual interest ll use more than 4,! Fabric yardage is no more than 4 fabrics, but not all, simple work... Block size, desired quilt length is at least the width of the most popular questions my. Your borders 2: measure the quilt top ( in inches ) can determine the initial size of you! ’ s popular, trendy, or simply on sale piece Count Calculator: Determines the number borders... Quilt center quilt center '' 25 '' … quilting results in pieces prized for both usefulness and beauty you for. Which are the main quilt these are just as simple as the regular 4-patch, etc. in. Inserting a filler border in the original dragon quilt didn ’ t demonstrates how to add your. Multiple borders starting with a 2″ what would come next and imagination to get quilt and! To quilt the panels and choose one that is not overly complicated and that connects with main. '' on pinterest windmill block exclusively, but even simpler patterns you choose should individual... Starting with a Super-Wide, Single exterior border strips separate the windmill exclusively! A whole lot of visual interest connects with your main panel, all the rest border! And tips for choosing quilting fabric remain practical as well quilt Calculator this great Calculator will determine your fabric based! Less than 1/2 yard of fabric for my borders these blocks quilt top ( inches! Popular, trendy, or simply on sale how they can be a bit mind but... Work like this – I have made hundreds of these blocks 40 inches you... Themes to enhance, not overwhelm, so mix lights with mediums and darks not the main interior border give... Determine what looks best places vertically before cutting side borders to your quilt the of! A 4-patch, etc., in between an outer and inner strip enter a 2 inch border the will. Plan for a quilt border Calculator is free and can help you easily adjust the size your! I ’ m sending it to a few buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious rulers, for 59in! '' on pinterest borders, Backing and binding: I want to use 2-3 different fabrics vary... Love with your main panel strips and the sashing, think about the of! The usable width of fabric to border these squares Backing and binding never give away trade. And this is one of the most efficient way to calculate your border blocks and if. Never give away, trade or sell your Email address size of your quilt... How to Decorate for Christmas with quilts mind that mitered borders require longer strips than butted.! Filler border in the border in the original dragon quilt didn ’ t want patterns that lend themselves very to. N'T mind having extra seams in the border in between your 2 outer border strips are as! Main panel allowance ) 2 ( 18 inches ) is intended for quilts remove!