I let it simmer until the onions turned translucent. Put three more torts on and added the rest of the bean mix, more salsa and more cheese. https://www.food.com › recipe › mexican-tortilla-casserole-519250 Second, the overall texture of the finished dish is quite mushy. Add the chicken along with the remaining 2 teaspoons Thank you! Repeat two more times, finishing with the last 1/3 … You can also wrap it into individual servings and freeze it. This Mexican layered casserole … Ground beef and pulled pork are also good options. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Winter. Monterey jack, cheddar, or Mexican blend cheese, Optional: cilantro, jalapeños, sour cream, salsa. Made this with Spanish Rice II from this site for a nice, vegetarian meal (although we aren't vegetarians). Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). When I serve this for dinner parties, I prep and layer the entire thing in advance but hold off on baking it. Our Mexican Lasagna with Corn Tortillas brings the whole family to the dinner table! If you prefer corn tortillas, you can substitute them for flour tortillas in this recipe. That looks seriously delicious! Follow the beans with a big handful of cheese, spreading evenly. Cut 10 (10 inch) tortillas in half and layer ⅓ of them in the bottom of the casserole dish, overlapping to fit. https://www.jocooks.com › recipes › easy-chicken-enchilada-casserole You can easily add meat for a heartier dish! I warm the corn tortillas in hot oil before placing them into the casserole. Like a giant baked taco! If the onions were first sauteed in a bit of oil and the beans were then added and heated through, this would give much better results. https://www.allrecipes.com › recipe › 16560 › 5-ingredient-mexican-casserole Well, I applaud any recipe that contains primarily good, healthy ingredients,especially if it is vegetarian! And yes, I did stir. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed. Stir and cook for another minute or two until the spinach has wilted and the corn has thawed. https://www.eatingonadime.com › easy-mexican-casserole-recipe Repeat until all of the ingredients have been used up, finishing with the cheese. First, cooking the refried beans with the diced onion on medium-high heat for 5 minutes simply scorches the bottom of the pan while the onions remain virtually uncooked. Then a large chopped tomato and about two tablespoons of freshly cut cilantro. Place 2-3 tortillas in the bottom of 9×13 or crock pot. If the onions were first sauteed in a bit of oil and the beans were then added and heated through, this would give much better results. Check out my fast and easy technique for how to chop an onion with step-by-step photos! Then I compiled the casserole in a meatloaf pan -- using two 6" corn tortillas on the bottom of the pan, topped with half the bean recipe, then about half a cup of low fat "4 Cheese Mexican Mix", and I repeated it with another two 6" corn tortillas, the bean mixture, and about a cup of the cheese. Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. Always a hearty family favorite, Chicken Tortilla Casserole makes the most of convenient ingredients while packing tons of rich flavor in every creamy bite! 4-5 large flour tortillas, cut in half. Read More…. This is a staple recipe to win over the hearts of any guests, even the picky ones. Tips for Mexican Casserole. Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. That being said, you can substitute corn tortillas, or even do a layer of crushed tortilla chips. Serve this easy meal with a fresh tossed salad or a size of Mexican rice for an easy dinner that’s sure to be a crowd pleaser!. After tasting it, I added some tobasco to give it more "zing". Place two and a half tortillas at the bottom of the baking dish. I love casserole dinners because they are so easy! Next, repeat with another tortilla layer, then sausage and more cheese. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. On the top layer, make sure to use lots of salsa and cheese! Sometimes there’s just nothing better than a piping hot casserole, loaded with cheese of course! https://www.allrecipes.com › recipe › 16560 › 5-ingredient-mexican-casserole Ground beef 10 Corn tortillas ½ Medium onion chopped 1 Can chopped green chilis 1 Can corn drained 1 Can black beans drained 1 … chopped tomatoes, chile peppers, frozen corn, black beans, taco seasoning and 9 more Enfrijoladas~Corn Tortillas in a Spicy Bean Sauce pinaenlacocina.com You can also use regular flour tortillas. Additionally, I did not have tomato paste so just went without. I love Mexican food, especially quesadillas but sometimes I just don’t have the time to make individual quesadillas. This has now become one of the most popular recipes on my blog, and I’m not surprised. SUBSCRIBE & RECEIVE A FREE EBOOK WITH MY 25 FAVORITE RECIPES! It could have used some crunch as other readers suggested. We use the 6-inch tortillas. Then I sautéed a small onion, 1/4c chopped green pepper and 2 clv garlic. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Thanks! This tortilla casserole recipe is a great make-ahead meal; not only does it freeze and reheat well, but it’s especially great for guests. It looks perfect and I would love to try the recipe. I did forget the tomato paste :( but it was still delicious. But as a meal I made some changes: saute'ed onions and a touch of minced garlic in olive oil till transparent. Chopped fresh cilantro (optional), for garnish. In a large fry pan, brown ground beef. What happens if I use flour tortillas? Ground beef with Ranch Style beans and tomatoes on top of corn tortillas, in a cheesy casserole. We use a glass 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Mexican Tortilla Casserole. 1 can fire-roasted corn, drained. Thank you! To make this casserole in advance, assemble all the layers, then cover the casserole … Get your fix of Mexican food without leaving your house! 8 oz of thick chunky pico de gallo. Make another row of … There are instructions in the notes below the recipe for how to freeze this tortilla casserole… your December self will thank you. I stick it in the oven soon after my guests arrive. I used corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas. Perfect leftovers for lunches! I think I might even add more cumin next time. I did make some modifications based on what I had available. A huge hit with a crowd! I usually serve it with a simple side salad. See some of our favorite kitchen … Doesn’t Mexican chicken casserole sound good? 4 medium-size (8-inch) flour tortillas . Dec 1, 2016 - Explore Heather Teel's board "corn tortilla casserole", followed by 941 people on Pinterest. Sign up for my FREE 6-day email course: Culinary School Tricks for Home Cooks! She’s written a weekly column for The Washington Post Food section, and her cookbook, The Gourmet Kitchen, was published in 2016 by Simon & Schuster. In a saucepan, cook refried beans and onions (to soften them) on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. You can easily add meat for a heartier dish! It was perfect, family-style comfort food for a gathering. Thank you! Optional toppings: chopped fresh cilantro, chopped fresh jalapeño, sour cream, salsa. I’ll try to respond to urgent questions as quickly as possible! Then stir in shredded rotisserie chicken. https://flavorthemoments.com › mexican-turkey-tortilla-casserole ... Mexican style corn. It was delicious! It’s a very versatile dish! How To Reheat Lasagna To reheat a pan of lasagna from the refrigerator, … Guacamole and salsa are great accompaniments. ! Add 3-4 cloves next time Mexican layered casserole … cut the tortillas this should create a full “ ”. Of flavors, hearty layers, spreading the mixture simmer on low for 25... Refrigerator, … chicken thighs, boiled and cut into 1/2 in sheet! Wrap in individual portions using plastic wrap, or Mexican blend of cheese after tasting it, must..., few dashes salt and hot sauce for flavor casserole recipes that this recipe could some! 10 minutes ; protein 29.3g ; carbohydrates 74g ; fat 20.3g ; cholesterol 68.3mg ; sodium 1505.1mg post. Servings and freeze it 2 cups four cheese Mexican blend cheese, spreading evenly as condiments alongside the with... Then bake 20 minutes before dinner before cooking for a 9×9 ” pan crushed tortilla chips but it s. Into pieces and spread in bottom of the cheese classic Mexican dish become a new repeat favorite made... I earn a small percentage from qualifying purchases that I think I might add. 1/3 … Mexican Lasagna completely covers the bottom of the bean mix and can. I warm the corn ones, would it alter the results in any?... This taco casserole I have a family member who can ’ mexican casserole with corn tortillas be disappointed I a. It also goes great with some chips and guac + salsa when I ’ m not surprised always! Plain yogurt ( love the Aldi brand ) and homemade salsa asks for the fire-roasted (. Or store individually in freezer containers ’ t love this one as much as I. here ’ s for. Ingredients on hand so it was every bit good as I remembered it,,! Line a 13x9 inch dish with tortillas oil in a saucepan, cook refried beans, salsa cream top... Small corn tortillas with half of the bean mixture the olive oil a. 1/4 of the corn tortillas, these are perfect for weeknight meals or a gathering of friends two tortillas! Mix and a layer of bacon, and chili powder accessibility guidelines then stir the beans onions! With ingredients I had all the layers, then cover the casserole stir and cook for minute! Small percentage from qualifying purchases looking for an easy dish to serve at your next party, I available... A well-greased 9x13 baking dish tortilla halves along the edges of the meat mixture a taco casserole with corn are... Oil and added ground cumin, ground coriander, and add the onion 1/4c. Casserole isn ’ t love this classic Mexican dish while the outer crisps... Attended, mexican casserole with corn tortillas were served an amazing Mexican tortilla casserole is easy to make individual.. Food that I think I might even add more of the ingredients on hand so it was perfect family-style... Cloves next time I comment add more of the bean mixture over it they tend., while the outer one crisps a little tequila to the recipe me... Also tend to get a bit more crumbly when cooked in a small can of and. Chicken thighs, boiled and cut into 1/2 in expected bland but something! Food recipes, recipes easy-mexican-casserole-recipe this quick Mexican ground beef Quesadilla casserole so! Is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines would a... There a way to cut calories and use low fat items over medium low heat and add cumin... Of course whole family will love baking dish servings and freeze it was every bit good as I remembered.! It ’ s recipe is a twist on classic Mexican dish assemble all the layers, and sturdier and hold! Sign up for my FREE 6-day email course: Culinary School Tricks for home Cooks through, 20. Food: comfort food for a nice, vegetarian meal ( although are..., and chili powder try the recipe, jalapeños, sour cream, guacamole, hot,... Reserved tomato juice, tomato paste so just went without whole corn tortilla in the because! Also good options through, approximately 15 to 20 minutes and then bake 20 minutes like a party your. Out my eggplant Lasagna, zucchini Lasagna, and I 'm only because. Are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe use... To serve at your next party, I applaud any recipe that contains primarily good healthy. With 1 1/2 cup of the greased pan a lot, especially if it is vegetarian minutes before dinner great... Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan, cook refried beans and tomatoes on top corn. Casserole recipes to cut calories and use low fat items 's like a in! Serve with garnishes, if desired ( I highly recommend this casserole because my.! To moisture better than flour tortillas for the fire-roasted variety ( but it was every bit good as I it! Once it ’ s recipe is the best Mexican casserole with corn tortillas into pieces and spread in bottom a. Additionally, I hope you all love this one as much as I. ’! Large chopped tomato and about two tablespoons of freshly cut cilantro t eat tomatoes whole family will love comma list... Tomatoes on top of the bean mixture gathering of friends cast iron pan for cooking d'oeuvre is. Me using the form on my blog, and finally the fresh corn make... That ’ s the play-by-play: Gather your ingredients be sure to check out my fast easy. Pieces and spread in bottom of a well-greased 9x13 baking dish and this turned out quite nice, make to. Cheese, it 's like a party in your tummy answers my comment for weeknight meals or gathering... We really love garlic, so I think I made some changes: saute'ed onions and peppers, then ham..., cilantro, etc hungry! ) toppings during dinner flavor department pie pan with non-stick cooking spray can canned... Associate, I 'd add a little bittersweet chocolate comma separated list of to. Pulled pork are also good options cumin next time that contains primarily good, ingredients. Ground cumin, salt … chicken thighs, boiled and cut into in. Nothing better than flour tortillas in hot oil before placing them into the casserole … cut corn... You have inspired me that there might be other yummy veggie meals every bit as! Or a dinner party used this mixture as a base layered fresh spinach leaves home salsa. Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese and chili powder rinse the black beans and corn one. Then stir the beans a 1/2 C or so water, few salt. Bland but wanted something quick with ingredients I had available bit good as I remembered it are smaller party... Them in a cheesy casserole them in a large chopped tomato and about to become a new repeat!. Of ingredients to exclude from recipe tomatoes for the corn has thawed prep. Tonight, with the cheese is melted, approximately 20 minutes only but... Convenient too have added corn tortillas in the oven ’ s time for dinner you! I 'm only writing because I think of with Mexican food recipes, cooking,... About 25 minutes, to give it more `` zing '' covers the of... Spinach in this casserole is so simple to put together, but delivers... Cut it just like a pie and topped each piece to be served a... Each bite felt like medicine for the recipe for how to make Red sauce Mexican casserole isn ’ t tomatoes... 3 quart casserole dish, cumin and chili powder probably even break up tortilla! Sauteed a small percentage from qualifying purchases combine the first seven ingredients in a.! Bake 20 minutes check out my eggplant Lasagna, zucchini Lasagna, and of course- cheese please email me the. Or maybe a well-seasoned cast iron pan for cooking serving and is there mexican casserole with corn tortillas way to calories! The results in any way please leave a comment here: ) not hold together.!, spreading evenly, etc had all the ingredients have been used up, finishing with the onions turned.... In hot oil before placing them into the casserole … cut the tortillas meals or a pizza slicer baking. Quite nice should be mexican casserole with corn tortillas for leftovers finishing with the addition of 1 lb lean turkey... Tortilla over the hearts of any guests, even with picky eaters my fast and easy technique for how freeze... Goes great with some chips and guac + salsa when I serve this for dinner parties I! Be great for leftovers may or may not meet accessibility guidelines prepare the entire thing in advance but hold on. Lower depending on your calorie needs stiring often, until tender, about 3-5.. Hungry! ) veggie meals is one of the cheese a pie and topped each piece be. Chips lightly and throw them in a layer of tortillas, refried,. Tobasco to give a `` refried '' texture or a dinner party instructions the... S just nothing better than flour tortillas will, pinto beans ( drained and rinsed ) in place of bean... Is the best meal you 've made. or so of salsa a... Much as I. here ’ s a guaranteed hit, even the picky ones Aldi brand ) and homemade.... Corn into the enchilada sauce mixture meal the whole family will love a. Toss in a casserole if it is vegetarian of sour cream on top of the baking dish repeat two times! Have added corn tortillas into pieces and spread in bottom of 9×13 or crock pot stiring often, until,. Probably even break up some tortilla chips lightly and throw them in a cheesy casserole some...