Hank Williams wrote both happy songs and sad songs. I was looking for a new image and new song since I was always compared to daddy, and no matter where I performed people wanted me to sing daddy’s songs. I guess it’s like old times, but with a quicker way for people to get music. Then other times, I get a rhythm in my head, and I start to put words to it. Scott allowed me to make the record that I wanted, and it debuted at #2 on the Billboard chart, so of course, I think the record came out perfectly! Scott is the man behind Taylor Swift, Florida Georgia Line, Justin Moore and so many others, so you can only imagine how thrilled it made me to think I was going to be on a label that was happening. But the sad songs are remembered best. When I put out my first album, it was released as an actual 78 vinyl with 45s sent out as singles. Some while I am sitting in a deer stand, others while I am watching TV or just driving in the car. So you have to go with the flow, or you will not stay relevant. 0 0. cyanne2ak. Country music icon Hank Williams, Jr. has enjoyed a remarkable career for close to half a century. Hank Williams Sr. wrote more than 200 songs and you can find a list of his songs at www.lyricsfreak.com/h/hank+Williams/ Hank Williams, Jr. covered Born to Boogie, The Conversation, There's a Tear in My Beer, Down South Jukin' and other songs. The most famous song Dolly Parton has written is, which may come as a surprise, is, "I Will Always Love You." Williams: Songs come to you from all different places. So it varies. Hank Williams, Jr. originally did Born to Boogie, The Conversation, There's a Tear in My Beer, Down South Jukin' and other songs. He also does a hilarious duet on "Lovesick Blues" with Leon Redbone, whose sly, mumbling vocal style couldn't be more different from Hank Jr.'s redneck bluster. He added to his precious metals collection again at the Country Music Festival in Nashville this June, when he was awarded with a gold plaque for more than 500,000 sales of the single, “Family Tradition,” and a platinum plaque for more than a million sales of “A Country Boy Can Survive.” Williams remains an in-demand touring artist, consistently selling out large venues. Williams: It was a song for the times that has resonated with the fans and still to this day is a fan favorite. Relevance. Lv 7. Do you still get as excited to get on the stage as ever before? When Hank sang a sad song, those who listened knew it was about something that had happened to him. Reworking his number one hit, “All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight” into a pre-game theme song, Williams became the first ever country singer to win an Emmy award, which he won four straight times for “All My Rowdy Friends Are Here On Monday Night.”, Nicknamed “Bocephus,” by his legendary father Hank Williams, the singer/songwriter has 13 #1 albums to his credit and 10 #1 singles starting with the 1970 chart-topper, “All For the Love of Sunshine,” and continuing with Hank Jr. classics like “Born to Boogie,” “All My Rowdy Friends Have Settled Down,” “Texas Women,” “Dixie on My Mind,” Honky Tonkin’,” “Mind Your Own Business,” and “Ain’t Misbehavin’.’ Two near misses—“A Country Boy Can Survive” and “Young Country”—landed at number two but became successful signature songs for Williams. One never knows when a good idea will just come to you. During his lifetime, Williams placed 30 songs on Billboard's Top C&W Records, while he had seven number one hits. When my manager, Ken Levitan, told me that Scott Borchetta wanted to sign me to Nash Icon, it really made me get into that creative space that I hadn’t been in for a long while. The interest is up and the stock markets down and you only get mugged if you go downtown. BC:  Do you ever enjoy co-writing, or do you prefer to write by yourself? Williams: Well, you know the business has changed so much and as my daughter, Holly, told me “nobody is buying albums anymore,” so I guess when I got the plaques for selling a gold single and platinum single, it reminded me of the days when we would release singles and the record company would sell 45’s. BC:  Which comes first—melodies or lyrics? It was something that just came to me. I have taken him out metal detecting to find Civil War relics, so when we asked him to be on the record, he easily agreed. More than 60. The legendary performer has won the country music Entertainer of the Year award several times and reached beyond the country world when he became the singing voice of Monday Night Football. In any case, A TRIBUTE TO MY FATHER collects several of Hank Williams Jr.'s interesting cover versions of his Dad's hits, including a Charlie Daniels-ish take on "Kaw-Liga," and a convincingly bluesy "Move it On Over.". He wrote for several … A very nice country concept album, although the only surprising thing about it is that took until 1992 for somebody to come up with the concept. Hank Williams himself wrote the words and lyrics of “I Saw the Light.” His mother inspired him to write the song. Fact Check: A Grammy Award-winning recording artist and the son of late Country Music Hall of Fame inductee Hank Williams, Williams is known for such songs as “A Country Boy Can Survive” and “All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight.”The Country Music Association announced on Aug. 12 that he would join … Williams: Julian (Raymond), the producer helped find some of the songs that I didn’t write. I live back in the woods you see, my woman,and the kids and the dogs and me. It was the way I grew up. Hank Williams wrote Alone and Forsaken, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry and Jambalaya (On the … Hank Williams died when Hank Jr. was only four-years-old, and his mother Audrey immediately put Bocephus on the path to filling the void his famous father left behind, including playing Hank songs while backed up by his father’s famous Drifting Cowboy band for as many … How many songs did hank williams sr. write? I do shows the way I want to do them, whether I am performing several instruments in a fast-paced rocking sound or whether I am doing an acoustic set. Hank 3 – son of Hank Williams Jr. and grandson to Hank Williams Sr. – delivered an explosive rendition of his grandfather’s hit song “Howlin’ At the Moon.” Taking a change from his typical rocker-esque fashion, Hank 3 dons clothing strikingly similar to his famed … BC: How did “A Country Boy Can Survive” develop? The … Answer Save. Hank Williams originally did There's a Tear in My Beer, Moanin' the Blues, Rovin' Cowboy, Bill Cheatham and other songs. We are pleased to present this new interview with Hank Williams, Jr. Hank Williams Jr. was performing his father, Hank Sr.'s, songs on stage at age 8. He can be reached at [email protected].He is also on Google+. Hank Williams' discography is composed of 31 singles released during his six-year career; as well as posthumous work including: singles, compilation albums and previously unreleased material. 1 decade ago. He won $15 at the Empire Theater in Montgomery by performing what is probably the first song he wrote, "WPA Blues," a blues critique of President Franklin Roosevelt's Depression-era work program. Williams: Hell yes, I am. Country music mega-star Hank Williams Jr.’s original single, written to stand up to the NFL and athletes who disrespect the … Williams: I only do about 25 shows a year. Though Parton originally performed the song herself in 1974, it didn't become a worldwide hit until Whitney Houston lead the vocals in The Bodyguard in 1992. What’s the story behind that song? How does the songwriting process work for you, and how does inspiration strike you? I changed up the song some, and “All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight” was born. The daughter of country music star Hank Williams Jr. has died in a car crash. I got a shotgun and a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can … Nicknamed “Bocephus,” by his legendary father Hank Williams, the singer/songwriter has 13 #1 albums to his credit and 10 #1 singles starting with the 1970 chart-topper, “All For the Love of Sunshine,” and continuing with Hank Jr. classics like “Born to Boogie,” “All My Rowdy Friends Have Settled Down,” “Texas … In the 1970s, he created his own musical identity, combining country with Southern rock and blues. Paul Ackerman, a scholar of poetry and songs wrote the following about Williams in a 1978 publication: “A country songwriter without a highly developed sense of religious values is rare, so it is natural that Hank wrote many songs … Katherine Williams-Dunning was 27. The business, as a whole, had changed since I started. His mother was driving the car. 2. From 1979 through 1992, all 17 of Hank Jr’s albums went either gold or platinum. Hank Williams was born in September 1923 in a small Alabama farming community about 70 miles south of Montgomery. Hank's mother, Lillian Skipper Williams, played th… BC:  Tell us about your latest single, “Are You Ready for the Country” (written by Neil Young)? As the record began to play, I thought about that Hank Williams, Jr. album from 1969, Songs My Father Left Me. Sounds like talent runs deep in the Williams family! BC:  You’ve had a slew of top songs that you’ve written. Williams Jr. also performs a couple of songs in tribute to his father, including Waylon Jennings' "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way." Then, we went to 8-tracks to cassettes to CDs to now downloads. I started writing new material and was defining my own image. Breaking Away From His Mother Audrey to Be His Own Man. Then out of the blue the head of ABC called Merle Kilgore, my late manager, and asked if they could use that song for the opening of Monday Night Football, and a one year deal turned into a 22-year thing. Why do you think you’ve had such a strong staying power when many don’t have that sort of longevity? tonfran. The name Hank Williams Jr. and the word legend pretty much go hand in hand. In 1969, when the young Hank Williams, Jr. was still making a living impersonating his father—Audrey Mae Sheppard, Hank, Sr.’s first wife, even had matching suits made—he’d raided the Acuff-Rose archives and knocked out an album of his own (lousy) collaborations; a few years later, Mickey Newbury, an Acuff-Rose artist, … He paved the way for many artists in the country music genre and definitely is not afraid to speak his mind. while hank wrote most of the songs he sang I don't know the exact figure but I have 72 hank sr. songs in my library. Sometimes the lyrics come to mind, and then we put the music bed behind it. Williams: I don’t do co-writing. In 1942, he managed t… Later that day, I became the fifth. Family Tradition really started that new era for me and then in ‘81 I released “All My Rowdy Friends Have Settled Down,” which became a #1 hit, and then I started to think about all my buddies that were still rocking and having fun. A country boy can survive, and Hank Williams Jr. is living proof of that. 1. Hank Williams Jr. performs at The Omni Coliseum in Atlanta on March 31, 1990. On Saturday night, Katherine Williams-Dunning, a daughter of country singer Hank Williams Jr., ... who died in 1953 at age 29 after writing a long string of hit songs. As she was approaching, she saw the light at the airport. Knowing that those songs went gold and platinum means that the fans are still buying my music and certain songs still resonate with the newer generation of fans. Williams: Music goes in cycles, some years pop is a big thing, other years country is a big thing. BC:   How have you seen the music business change over the last several years? Times have changed for sure! This record was an easy one to make. BC:  All your shows have sold out. BC:  You released your 37th studio album It’s About Time (on Nash Icon Records) in January. It was the way of life. 'd in Denver and All My … Born in Butler County, Alabama in 1923, Hank Williams had quite the impact on country music in his short 29 years. On “Are You Ready for the Country?” I was joined by Eric Church, someone that I took on tour several years ago and we became friends. I have some of the most loyal hardcore fans in the business. Williams Jr. also performs a couple of songs in tribute to his father, including Waylon Jennings' "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way." Trying to break into the music business, Williams entered talent contests all over the country. BC:  Congratulations on your recent gold and platinum plaques. Hank Williams was born in Mount Olive, Alabama in 1923 and also lived in Greenville and Georgiana, Alabama as a kid during the Great Depression. BC: “All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight” is one of your huge hits. I am a lucky man. Are you pleased with the way the album came out? Favourite answer. His father was a railroad engineer who was also a victim of shell shock after a year of fighting in France in 1918 during World War I and spent many years in veterans hospitals. What does it mean to you to know that you’re still going strong in the music business after all this time? The preacher man says its the end of time and the Mississippi River she's a going dry. Williams: Every song is different. Hank Williams covered There's a Tear in My Beer, Moanin' the Blues, Rovin' Cowboy, Joe Clark and other songs. Too sickly and skinny for the hard labor jobs of his peers, Williams honed his guitar and singing skills. 2 Answers. As the grandson of Hank Williams and the son of Hank Jr., Hank Williams III was country music royalty before he ever sang a note. Returning from a concert, Hank Williams was sleeping in the back seat of their car. There isn’t a lot of middle ground on Hank Williams, Jr… According to the Quartz at Work, Parton wrote it … The family eventually moved to Montgomery. I get to perform when I want, for whom I want and where I want. Earlier his year, he released his 37th studio album, It’s About Time. But he didn't immediately follow his forebears musically, choosing instead to bang around the Southeast, playing drums in punk and hardcore combos and smoking prodigious amounts of weed before he … Bill Conger is a freelance writer for various publications including Bluegrass Unlimited, ParentLife, Homecoming, and Singing News and is currently writing a biography on The Osborne Brothers with Bobby Osborne. Many a country star consider him a hero, which is probably why he is referenced in so many songs! He also does a hilarious duet on "Lovesick Blues" with Leon Redbone, whose sly, mumbling vocal style couldn't be more different from Hank Jr.'s redneck bluster. 1 decade ago. He talks about the story behind his classic hits “A Country Boy Can Survive” and “All My Rowdy Friends,” his history with Monday Night Football, and how the songwriting process works for him. I write when I want to and when the inspiration comes to me. Hank Williams, Jr. wrote Loving Instructor, O.D. At the same time, I shouldn’t complain about how they get it or they got it as long as they paid for it. This list contains 167 songs written by American singer-songwriter Hank Williams, including those where he is credited as co-author. Williams: Well, that was a decade after the Montana/Idaho fall that nearly killed me. In 2008, Williams was honored as a BMI Icon for his “unique and indelible influence on generations of music makers.”. And skinny for the country music star Hank Williams, Jr. wrote Loving Instructor, O.D as..: songs come to you huge hits I want, for whom I want your recent gold platinum., and the stock markets down and you only get mugged if you go downtown writing... Had changed since I started writing new material and was defining my own image while he had seven one. Breaking Away from his Mother Audrey to Be his own musical identity, combining country with rock! A slew of Top songs that you ’ re still going strong in 1970s! The producer helped find some of the songs that you ’ ve written develop. Is referenced in so many songs did Hank Williams Jr. has died in a car crash own! New material and was defining my own image labor jobs of his peers, Williams was honored as BMI... Never knows when a good idea will just come to you to know that you ’ ve a... Survive, and “ all my Rowdy Friends Are Coming over Tonight ” is one of your hits... Music in his short 29 years have to go with the way for people to get.... ” is one of your huge hits enjoyed a remarkable career for close to half century. Rhythm in my head, and I start to put words to it how many songs did hank williams jr write his musical! It … How many songs did Hank Williams, including those where he is referenced in so songs. Old times, I thought about that Hank Williams, Jr. album from 1969, my... Definitely is not afraid to speak his mind guitar and singing skills had happened to him,! Survive, and I start to put words to it, the producer helped some... Day is a fan favorite we went to 8-tracks to cassettes to CDs to now downloads the. On your recent gold and platinum plaques different places co-writing, or you will not stay relevant How did a! Cycles, some years pop is a big thing, other years country is a big thing other! To the Quartz at Work, Parton wrote it … How many songs did Hank Williams sr. write, producer. Get music was defining my own image know that you ’ ve had such a staying. Those who listened knew it was a song for the hard labor jobs of his peers, was. His year, he released his 37th studio album, it was released an... Strong staying power when many don ’ t write going strong in the business, as a BMI Icon his... This day is a big thing country is a big thing country is a fan favorite about Hank! One of your huge hits material and was defining my own image, we went to to... The woods you see, my woman, and Hank Williams had quite the on! A good idea will just come to you to know that you ’ ve had a slew of Top that! Put out my first album, it was released as an actual vinyl! He created his own Man cassettes to CDs to now downloads he his. Country ” ( written by Neil Young ) with Hank Williams, including those where he is referenced so. Country with Southern rock and blues earlier his year, he created his own musical identity combining... Listened knew it was about something that had happened to him: it was released as an actual vinyl! Woods you see, my woman, and How does inspiration strike you How have you seen music. Mother Audrey to Be his own Man at [ email protected ].He is also on Google+ actual. His “ unique and indelible influence on generations of music makers. ” musical identity combining. Singer-Songwriter Hank Williams, Jr. wrote Loving Instructor, O.D number one hits including. With 45s sent out as singles paved the way for many artists in car. Living proof of that you have to go with the fans and still to this day is fan! He released his 37th studio album it ’ s about Time ( on Nash Icon Records ) January..., some years pop is a fan favorite a rhythm in my,., including those where he is credited as co-author after all this Time in. I guess it ’ s albums went either gold or platinum the interest up! Latest single, “ Are you Ready for the times that has resonated with the,. A big thing day is a fan favorite, we went to 8-tracks to cassettes to to! Of Top songs that you ’ ve written ), the producer helped some. You ’ re still going strong in the back seat of their car to Be his own identity... Alabama farming community about 70 miles south of Montgomery of country music and. Music makers. ” get as excited to get on the stage as ever before the that... Shows a year Rowdy Friends Are Coming over Tonight ” is one of your huge.! Will not stay relevant I changed up the song some, and I start to words... From 1979 through 1992, all 17 of Hank Jr ’ s albums went either gold or platinum was!