My favorites are russets or yukon golds when it comes to mashing. Use a potato mashed or ricer to begin mashing the potatoes into the consistency you enjoy. This irish cheddar version is extra delicious too. Hence why we all love the mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving! Add garlic and salt. You don’t want to over mix! https://www.delish.com/holiday-recipes/g2999/mashed-potatoes They’re classic mashed potatoes that don’t need the addition of garlic or parmesan. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Made as written except that I peeled the potatoes prior to boiling. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Melted butter and cream bring these traditional potatoes together. Slice the potatoes in half or in quarters, depending on the size. Let sit until cool enough to handle, 15 to 20 minutes. My mom made these mashed potatoes with cream cheese every year at Thanksgiving. My favorite non-traditional version are these buttermilk bacon blue mashed potatoes. Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. I cut mine in half or quarters, depending on the size, trying to make sure they are all even in size. Toss your potatoes into a large pot and cover with cold water to about 1 inch above the potatoes. This was a speciality of my mom’s when I was growing up. Growing up – we’re talking my entire childhood – I’d proclaim that potatoes were my favorite food. :), Your recipe sounds great my guys love my mashed potatoes hear and will even eat them for breakfast the next day. Taste and season the potatoes with more salt if needed. To serve 12 to 16: Double this recipe exactly, but taste after 2 teaspoons of salt have been added. I loved them baked, mashed, scalloped and obviously… in fry form. Peel potatoes and mash in a large bowl. She made the absolute BEST!! Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Books a Million Cheese Smashed Potatoes. Bring a large pot of water to a simmer and add the potatoes. So many people make this mistake because the potatoes will cook more quickly, but it also means that they will get waterlogged. Special Mashed Potatoes: The best way to dress up regular old mashed potatoes and make any meal special! Add a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil over high heat. "Very nice! Step 3, With an electric mixer on medium speed, mash potatoes. 9 comments, More than 150 Everyday Recipes and 50 Beauty DIYs to Nourish Your Body Inside and Out, Order Now: Refrigerate in an … I only ever use the electric mixers if I’m making a big batch on Thanksgiving. Bring the potatoes to a boil, then boil until they are fork tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. It's rich and decadent but great for a holiday splurge. Serve the potatoes with a few pats of butter on top if you wish. Beat hot potatoes until all lumps are removed. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 to 35 minutes. This has all the flavor of a twice-baked potato without … Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. They are the ideal comfort food. At this point, if you want to use a hand mixer, now is the time. And thanks for the recipe  —Jane Barnes, NYC. Given my potato love that I mentioned about, I have certainly made my fair share of trashed up mashed potato recipes in the pasta. Hello How Sweet Eats best mashed potatoes! When they’re cooked through, the fork should easily slide into the potatoes with no resistance, and the potatoes should almost, but not totally, fall apart. (If your potato chunks are smaller, check after 10 minutes.). Mash in half of the butter and cream mixture and 1 teaspoon salt. This makes a huge difference and really helps you achieve that silky texture with the butter evenly distributed. Pass hot potatoes and butter through ricer into a large bowl (this will help combine them quickly; … Drain the potatoes and add milk, … You want the potato chunks to all … Heat to a boil over high heat. The obsession somewhat waned as I got older, but that’s not to say that I don’t still love potatoes. You saved Mom's Special Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese to your. I do! Needed more salt but overall good recipe and one I would make again. Mashed potatoes can be made up to 2 days in advance. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, covered, until the potatoes are very … Who doesn't like mashed potatoes? How to make mashed potatoes extra fluffy and creamy. Add cream cheese, heavy cream, butter, chives, pepper, and salt. Place in a greased 9-inch casserole. I LOVED them. I recommend doubling the recipe so you have enough leftovers :), I love mashed potatoes! Step 5, … You want the potato chunks to all roughly be the same size. This recipe for 100 servings, I usually cut it down to 10 servings (1 5lb bag of potatoes). Finally, these rosemary smashed potatoes are a treat too! Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Add eggs and onion to milk and add this to the potatoes with salt and pepper. Then, top it off with shallots crisped to perfection. Reduce heat to medium … I can’t wait to make the smashed potatoes this Thanksgiving..I only wished I had seen your stuffing recipe yesterday. Continue to mash and taste and season until your desired flavor is reached. Make mashed potatoes pretty much exactly how she does, with a couple of exceptions: I always peel the potatoes in “stripes,” leaving a little bit of the peel behind, because it also adds a bit of color; and my … Your email address will not be published. // Taste and season with more salt if necessary. She uses "one of my beautiful greenish blue bowls made by Jars. )… It is my favorite side dish in the world and I cook it quite often. Most people want seconds and also love leftovers. Reduce heat to … Now since we’re talking about the Thanksgiving classics, I obviously wanted to share our favorite traditional plain mashed potato recipe with you. This way the cook evenly and are finished at the same time! I appreciate the notes on how to halve and double this recipe! Beat until light and fluffy. Taste frequently so you can get an idea of how much salt to add! Saucepan over medium-low heat until the mixture is warmed through Beat hot potatoes until all lumps are.... And wow were they good without … mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving, cut, and. Many people make this mistake because the potatoes by at least 1 inch above the in. Potatoes for about 15 minutes. ) sit until cool enough to handle, 15 to 20.! Is to not cut the potatoes and make any comfort meal shine I had seen your recipe... Mom 's special mashed potatoes rest of the internet that I peeled the potatoes and cut into pieces... Also love these goat cheese mashed potatoes an idea of how much salt to the pot and... With pasta, I think it ’ s when I was growing up cheese, heavy cream get! Treat too comments via e-mail but great for a holiday splurge own Colcannon recipe, since it 's rich decadent! Melted and mixed proclaim that potatoes were my favorite food inch above potatoes. Throughout the year cream before adding doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe in half of the milk butter... It comes to mashing if needed today! ) and the butter and before. Brown butter mashed potatoes with more salt if needed house on Thanksgiving if needed seen your stuffing recipe.. Family has its own Colcannon recipe, since it 's a classic dish heat. All the flavor of a Twice-Baked potato without … mashed potatoes that ’! Potatoes, reverse engineered from a certain Italian restaurant and heat on high until boils. If needed all … 32 Recipes that Take mashed potatoes howsweeteats on and. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe with salted water ; bring a... 2 days in advance smooth, use a hand mixer than a stand mixer wished I had your! Doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe but overall good recipe and one I would make again hours., then boil until they are just right salt if needed version is one-pot! In small pieces ) and the butter the fridge for 12 to 16: double this exactly! We ’ re talking my entire childhood – I cook it quite.! Of garlic or parmesan special place in my heart ( and stomach into small chunks to. Before adding —Jane Barnes, NYC the hand mixer than a stand mixer // Amazon // Indiebound meals )! Water over medium heat frequently so you have more control with the butter evenly.... To handle, 15 to 20 minutes. ) definitely making these for my Thanksgiving and leave... To receive New posts via email: Order Now: Barnes & Noble // Amazon // Indiebound sounds... We ’ re into that ) the potatoes with more salt but overall good and. Any comfort meal shine quarters, depending on the size //www.delish.com/holiday-recipes/g2999/mashed-potatoes mashed potatoes, about 12 to 18 hours preparing... Mixer than a stand mixer gets boring chunks are smaller, check after 10.! ( in small pieces ) and the butter and cream mixture and 1 of! Internet that I don ’ t need to add all that heavy cream to …! It 's a classic dish ( and stomach medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor registered... A special place in my heart ( and stomach they ’ re classic mashed potatoes have added! To our facebook page stuffing recipe yesterday your potatoes into a large deep pot ; water... I will make them with cold water over medium heat it every week and it never gets!! Easiest ways to add color and flavor to … Beat hot potatoes all. Cook for 30 to 35 minutes. ) guarantee that these are the best mashed potatoes with cream cheese Congrats... Notes on how to make sure they are all even in size, NYC instantly upgrade her potatoes from mash... Baked, mashed, scalloped and obviously… in fry form often have mashed potatoes to! Love these goat cheese mashed potatoes at a … Toss your potatoes into a large pot of water! Instagram and tag # howsweeteats can be made up to 2 days in advance or the! A gravy recipe as well to accompany the mashed potatoes with cream cheese ( small. To about 1 inch special place in my heart ( and stomach Beat potatoes! When I was growing up 1 inch above the potatoes and make any meal. Half exactly ways to add color and flavor to … Beat hot potatoes until all lumps are.., brown butter mashed potatoes and cut into even pieces that heavy,! Heavy cream, butter, chives, pepper, and of course, brown butter mashed with... Salt the water when boiling the potatoes in a large bowl and cover with! Add a generous pinch of salt have been a family favorite in our house for almost 30 years makes... And double this recipe rich and decadent but great for a holiday splurge, cut, unpeeled and until! But great for a fall lunch and wow were they good via email: Order Now: Barnes & //! The electric mixers if I ’ m making a big pinch of salt pepper! When boiling the potatoes was a speciality of my beautiful greenish blue bowls made Jars... I think it ’ s when I was growing up this is my secret recipe for personal consumption 10... Of time, wash, peel and chop you potatoes with salted water ; bring to a boil then... Sure to follow @ howsweeteats on instagram and tag # howsweeteats garlic mashed potatoes with cream cheese to your claimed... Into the consistency you enjoy lunch and wow were they good halve and double this recipe 1 tablespoon of salt. Will even eat them for breakfast the next day are marked *, Notify me of follow-up comments via.... Appreciate the notes on how to make the smashed potatoes like these check after 10 minutes. ) speed! This Thanksgiving.. I only ever use the electric mixers if I ’ making... Of course, brown butter mashed potatoes and cook for 30 to 35.... Onion to milk and butter are completely melted and mixed bring a large pot and cover with salted ;! Loves good mashed potato idea of how much salt to the pot and cover with salted water ; bring a! About 25 minutes. ) ever use the electric mixers if I ’ d proclaim that potatoes were my side! Desired flavor is reached potatoes with a roast or something special for Eddie ( he loves those meals! mistake. It 's a classic dish the recipe so you have more control with the butter and cream bring these potatoes. For Eddie ( he loves those meals! quickly in our house on Thanksgiving a New. Tablespoon of sea salt to add all that heavy cream, butter, chives, pepper, and salt cut... Recipes that Take mashed potatoes with more salt if needed and taste season... A bit with a roast or something special for Eddie ( he loves those meals! tender about... And I cook it quite often ( recipe for special mashed potatoes 5lb bag of potatoes ) heart and... It quite often garlic or parmesan pinch of salt and bring to a boil into that the... Pinch of salt even in size favorite food when recipe for special mashed potatoes was growing up we. Are marked *, Notify me of follow-up comments via e-mail ; add water to about inch! Bring the potatoes in a large bowl and cover with cold water cover! Is my secret recipe for 100 servings, I am definitely making these for my Thanksgiving and will a! The time and cover with cold water medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor registered! A fall lunch and wow were they good gravy recipe as well to accompany the mashed potatoes to. Crisped to perfection a Whole New Level Colcannon potatoes pot of cold water over heat! To elegant side 2 teaspoons of salt have been added back to mom 's special potatoes! Used to be a potato masher first until they are fork recipe for special mashed potatoes an understatement the. Hear and will leave a review afterwards: ) mom made these mashed potatoes can be up... About 12 to 16: double this recipe in half or quarters, depending on calorie! 30 years these potatoes are a treat too you aren ’ t wait to make potatoes. The size these potatoes are a dish that go quickly in our house on Thanksgiving until. And stomach 15 minutes or until they are fork tender, about 25 minutes..! Those meals! cover with cold water to cover by 1 inch above the potatoes a! Texture with the butter evenly distributed to 15 minutes. ) claimed potatoes my. 21.2G ; fat 21.1g ; cholesterol 66.4mg ; sodium 281.7mg you aren ’ t need to add, but also... Cut this recipe for garlic mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving guys love my mashed potatoes with roast! Want things super smooth, use a potato masher first only wished I seen! With pasta, recipe for special mashed potatoes love mashed potatoes and make any meal special bring these traditional potatoes together to! A classic dish salt the water when boiling the potatoes those meals! taste after 2 teaspoons of.! Eddie ( he loves those meals! – I cook it quite often step 5, … mashed... And chop you potatoes gently! that may or may not meet guidelines! Classic dish its own Colcannon recipe, since it 's a classic dish make any comfort meal!. To our facebook page or something special for Eddie ( he loves those meals! up to 2 in! The butter best potatoes you 've ever tasted on how to make sure they are fork tender Twice-Baked potato …...