Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens. According to early reviews it is even sharper than the 400mm f/5.6 prime. The vignetting is very low at 100/200mm but increases to around 1EV (1 f-stop) at 300/400mm. At its minimum focus distance it captures images with 1:3 macro magnification, which is sure to make nature photographers happy. It competes with the EF 300/4L IS and the EF400/5.6L prime lenses as a telephoto and with the EF 70-300/4-5.6IS as a wide range telephoto zoom. Your subscription has been confirmed. At 200mm, the lens is almost as sharp, scoring 2,701 lines at its maximum f/5 aperture, and is just as good at the edges as it is in the center. I've been itching to test out the update to Canon's older 100-400mm 'L' lens - in truth, I wasn't hugely impressed with the old version. At first I was very reluctant to get this lens due to the high cost but the solidly built quality, and exceptional image performance makes it well worth it. Find out how I discovered the Canon 100-400 II sharpest aperture to use. More robust, front and rear fluorine coated lens and also the new ASC(air sphere coating), a nano tech that helps minimise reflections and flare. The Sigma is larger and heavier than the 100-400mm, and it doesn't have the same level of weather protection or close-focus capability, but there is a $2,000 Sigma 150-600mm Sports lens that's fully sealed against the elements if you need a long reach and the ability to shoot in inclement conditions. This long focal length and focal length range combine with very good image and build quality to make the 100-400 L one of the most popular serious wildlife and sports lenses Canon sells. Our expert industry analysis and practical solutions help you make better buying decisions and get more from technology. The Mk II version has the same headline specifications but with enhanced features and improved performance all-round. You want to get the best image quality with your lens. Adds much closer focussing, a zoom ring and better stabilization. The RF 100-500mm continues Canon’s approach of adding something new to classic EF lenses rather than simply rebuilding them with a similar spec and a native mount. The display of third-party trademarks and trade names on this site does not necessarily indicate any affiliation or the endorsement of PCMag. INTRODUCTION. Canon offers a wide range of compatible supplies and accessories that can enhance your user experience with you EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM that you can purchase direct. Canon 100-400 II Review: Pros, Cons, and Top Features. Shooting at 400mm, even on a full-fame camera, puts our test chart to the limits, with fewer data points that we're able to track at 200mm or wider. We recently named another lens, the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary ($829.00 at Amazon) , as an Editors' Choice, and it's still a phenomenal lens, especially for its price. Rotating Zoom Ring and Torque Adjustment. The score improves to 2,299 lines at f/8, and it shows 2,170 lines at f/11. PCMag Digital Group. But Canon camera owners who don't need the reach that a 600mm zoom provides should look to the 100-400mm as a smaller, lighter option. I pre-ordered the 100-400 II lens and received it one week ago. Has anyone used a rifle stock with the Canon 100-400 IS II lens? Thanks for a great review on the new Canon 100-400 IS II I also see a bonus with the new IS system and close focusing. … The lens features one fluorite and one super UD lens elements to correct chromatic aberration. Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Performance At 100mm, sharpness is already excellent in the centre of the frame at maximum aperture. At f/11 there is a slight drop in contrast, dropping the score to 2,439 lines. After 15 long years, Canon finally upgraded one of the biggest-selling telezooms of all time - the 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS USM. If so have you got optimum settings or... davidennew 29 months ago 0 replies. image.canon image.canon image.canon. When he’s not out with his camera, Jim enjoys watching bad and good television, playing video games (poorly), and reading. In the right light, the image quality is every bit as good as the $12,000+ 200-400mm lens (my Canon 200-400mm review ). alternatives to the Canon 100-400 lens. The resolution test (resolution meaning the MTF50 function) of the Canon EF 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM was based on RAW files from the Canon EOS 5D Mark III. When the Canon 100-400 f/4-5.6 IS L Mk II lens was first released we immediately did some testing. This combination get’s me to a 640mm equivalent field of view in a hand-holdable package. The focal length or focal length range of a lens should be among your highest criterion for lens selection.The focal length determines a combination of perspective and framing.With a range that starts at 100mm and goes to 400mm (without extenders), this lens covers a lot of ground (albeit less than some of the third party options just mentioned).The wide end has great portrait photography capabilities as illustrated by the 100mm f/4.5 full fra… Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Canon EF 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM Lens for Camera, Black/White at Amazon.com. The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM is a telezoom lens with a compact design and incredibly sharp optics. Simple lens test is all you need The 100-400 range provides versitility and is light enough to take back-country hiking (as an experienced hiker, who's cool with a bit of extra weight). Version 2 of the lens is far superior in several ways, just not price, but here are some alternatives to the Canon EF 100-400mm lenses to consider. I was impressed with the Imatest results too, but wanted more. Scroll down to easily select items to add to your shopping cart for a faster, easier checkout. Clearly you can see what a compact size this lens is and how beneficial that could be when you travel. The Canon EF 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS USM is Canon's premium telephoto zoom lens. The Canon 100-400L II finds a very good balance between build quality and portability. Canon was kind enough to allow me to revisit the EOS 7D Mark II for the purposes of this review, and suffice to say, that camera and the newest 100-400 lens are an ideal match and more than once left me picking my jaw off of the floor. Does anybody use the 70D with the 1-400 . There's an adjustable tension ring, with markings for Smooth and Tight behind it, and a manual focus ring behind that. The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 USM L IS II shows a fairly moderate light falloff on full format DSLRs. The Canon 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 IS USM Mark II has been worth waiting for, now with unrivalled all-round telezoom versatility. I was a little skeptical when a Canon representative told me that the new Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens ($2,199) is just as good as the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM ( at Amazon) , the best zoom lens of that range we've tested. Michael Topham takes to the fields of Kent to find out how it fares at photographing wildlife London, UK, 11 November 2014 – Canon today introduces the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, a new powerful, high-performance zoom lens in Canon’s acclaimed L-series, ideal for passionate sports and wildlife photographers. If you’re familiar with either Canon’s EF 70–200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, or Nikon does something similar on their 70–200mm f/2.8G and 80–400mm f/4.5–5.6G, the old 100–400 was the same. Closing the aperture by one stop improves the issue to an essentially negligible degree. Creative Park Creative Park Creative Park. Here is a Canon RF 100-500mm review. He studied at RPI and worked on the retail side of the industry at B&H before landing at PCMag. Does anybody use the 70D with the 1-400 . The zoom ring sits at the front of the lens, and is covered by ribbed rubber so you can grip it with ease. If you click an affiliate link and buy a product or service, we may be paid a fee by that merchant. Keep an eye on your inbox! Optically stabilized. Featuring a versatile 4x zoom range, 4-stop three-mode image stabilizer, Air Sphere coatings, an ultrasonic focus motor, a nine-blade circular aperture, silent high-speed AF performance, full-time manual focusing and dust/moisture resistance, the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II … Canon sells an EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM with a built-in teleconverter that extends its reach to 560mm at f/5.6, but it's an 8-pound lens that costs just under $11,000. Canon 100 400 II USM specs. … Then we compared it using Imatest to the original Canon 100-400 IS L and the new Canon 400mm DO L IS Mk II lenses at 400mm. The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM is sealed against dust and moisture thanks to being fitted with a rubber ring on the lens mount, but is not totally waterproof. Contact. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens, Lens Only at Amazon.com. There's also an AF/MF toggle, a switch to enable or disable the 4-stop image stabilization system, and a Stabilizer Mode switch. A series of toggle switches sit at the base of the lens. Canon 100-400 f 4,5-5,6 L USM IS I vs II recensione e test comparativo qual'è il migliore ? I mean for telemacro shots, small birds, lizards etc. First, when it works, the lens takes absolutely gorgeous pictures. First we took one apart and were extremely impressed with the build quality. Whilst I have my big Canon 200-400mm with me, I’ve mainly been shooting with the Canon 7D Mark II and the amazing Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS II. Canon Ef 100 - 400 Mm F 4.5 - 5.6 L Is Mk II Usm Zoom Lens R44 861.00 Log in to your account to manage your alerts. The resolution test (resolution meaning the MTF50 function) of the Canon EF 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM was based on RAW files from the Canon EOS 5D Mark III. 5D Mark III, 100-400mm at 400mm and f/6.3 at 1/400. The Canon 100-400 II has little to no visible distortion. You will be notified of price drops for the following product. I liked using it, and the image stabilization worked well, but it was never sharp at 400mm… and about 80% of my pictures were taken at 400mm. The Canon EF 100-400L f4.5-5.6 L IS ii is a lens that was a long time coming. I was trying to focus on a bird as for getting closer maybe if I was in a hellicopter. Canon 70D + 100-400 L series 11. Look, I love Canon lenses but I don’t offer uncritical worship and fealty to Canon by any means. Lens Description: A long-reaching telephoto zoom characterized by a sophisticated optical design and advanced image stabilization technologies, the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens is part of the esteemed L-series developed for full-frame EOS DSLRs. Fixes a phenomenon, in rare cases, the IS mechanism may cause the image to jump. The new lens has normal usual turn type zoom action unlike the older push-pull design. Sample Image Files (some more also at sample images) Dildoplant, 29 May 2014. EF Mount L-Series Lens/Full-Frame Format. It’s predecessor, the original push-pull EF 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS, was on the market for more than 14 years, and it was certainly a successful seller. The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens has an excellent focal length range that includes the longest focal length found in a Canon zoom lens - 400mm. Visit the Canon Online Store I think for ... philethier 5 months ago 1 replies. Shooting with the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II. The Best f/stop for Sharpness. You can find him on Instagram @jamespfisher, I was a little skeptical when a Canon representative told me that the new Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens ($2,199) is just as good as the, How to Free Up Space on Your iPhone or iPad, How to Save Money on Your Cell Phone Bill, How to Find Free Tools to Optimize Your Small Business, How to Get Started With Project Management, Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Read Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Review, Read Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM Review, Read Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Review, Read Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Review, Read Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Review, Read Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Review, Read Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Review, The Best Micro Four Thirds Lenses for 2020, How to Buy the Best DSLR and Mirrorless Camera Lenses for 2021, Sigma Adds 105mm F2.8 Macro Lens for Full-Frame Mirrorless, Tamron 70-300mm F4.5-6.3 Di III RXD Review, Voigtlander Nokton 21mm F1.4 Aspherical Review. I have taken it out twice mounted on a Canon 7D generation 1. Canon 5D Mark III, Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L, f/7.1 at 1/400 handheld at ISO 100, no lens profile used, Athentech Perfectly Clear v2.) Distortion isn't an issue here. Crop from above at 100%. From my point of view one more Cons would be 3.5m MFD vs 2m for EF300 II. Quick focus. PCMag, PCMag.com and PC Magazine are among the federally registered trademarks of Ziff Davis, LLC and may not be used by third parties without explicit permission. DesignWhen you consider its reach, the 100-400mm is not a big lens. la prima o la seconda serie ? One of the best professional telephoto zoom lenses out there for Canon’s full-frame and APS-C DSLRs is their EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM. Coming from Gordon Laing , the 29 minutes video-review below looks at the Canon RF 100-500mm from all possible points of view and compares it to the EF 100-400mm lens. Below is a size comparison from one of the smaller 100-400 Mk II collars and the largest collar in the original Canon 24-70 f/2.8 lens, which until now I would have called a fairly large collar. The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM is a significant upgrade over the first version. In the meantime I have been using a Canon 70-300L which has performed wonderfully. I was impressed with the Imatest results too, but wanted more. The king is dead, long live the Mark II. Hello guys I spent some time with this lens and I must admit their are issues with it. For more critical use, use these values in Photoshop's Lens Distortion tool to remove the distortion. The Sigma 150-600mm is larger overall (10.2 by 4.1 inches, 4.3 pounds, 95mm front filters), though it does offer a significantly longer telephoto reach. Its asking price, around $2,200, is not out of line for a lens of its quality, and if your photographic needs don't extend beyond 400mm, it's an obvious choice to pair with a Canon SLR. So let’s just say it as plainly as possible: the first version of this lens was a mess. OK, so as is often the case with gear reviews, this has been quite a big job to put together, so if you decide to pick up your own Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens, and you shop at B&H, my favourite online store, you could help me to continue these reviews by buying with our affiliate link, which is https://mbp.ac/100-400ii or click on the icons below. Seamless transfer of images and movies from your Canon camera to your devices and web services. The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 USM L IS II shows a fairly moderate light falloff on full format DSLRs. We consider an image to be sharp if it scores 1,800 lines per picture height on a center-weighted sharpness test. The extended Tamron 18-400 lens, attached to the Canon 7D Mark II, with the extended Canon 100-400 lens alongside for size comparison. 1:3 magnification. OpticsThe 100-400mm can focus down to 3.2 feet, even when zoomed to 400mm. If calculated … It scores 2,201 lines there, with edges that show about 2,000 lines. Scroll down to easily select items to add to your shopping cart for a faster, easier checkout. The Canon 100-400 II Sharpest Aperture. Get answers to your questions in our photography forums. The lens takes 77mm filters, and an ET-83 lens hood is included. (Update: Since I have posted this review, Roger Cicala from LensRental has done a breakdown of the internals of this lens and concluded that it is the best and most heavily engineered zoom lens they have ever seen. If that were the case it would be many many people, including amateurs on forums like this, enraged and spewing bile and blood through their tear ducts if this expensive telephoto sports lens was only good for manual focus. Again, the score is about the same at f/8, and it still shows 2,650 lines at f/11. This newsletter may contain advertising, deals, or affiliate links. I have not had this lens long but have an issue with the autofocus. Visit the Canon Online Store Canon 70D + 100-400 L series 11. It costs about twice as much as the Sigma lens, but its impeccable performance makes it an Editors' Choice as well. Canon states that the lens is protected from dust and water, and it does have an O-ring gasket around the lens mount. Has anyone used a rifle stock with the Canon 100-400 IS II lens? It's not a substitute for a true 1:1 macro lens, but the close focus capability certainly adds some versatility to this zoom. If I extend the lens fully to 400mm it does not focus at all. Canon 7D mk ii + Canon 400/DO v. 1 vs. a Sony A7R iii body + Sony FE 100-400mm lens. ! Closing the aperture by one stop improves the issue to an essentially negligible degree. I used Imatest to see just how sharp the 100-400mm is when paired with the full-frame 6D ($1,699.00 at Amazon) . The new 100–400 however is a completely different cup of tea. But after some time shooting with the 100-400mm, and having run it through our standard array of lab tests, I'm confident in that assertion—it's just an incredibly sharp lens. The Canon 100-400 II is Canon’s semi-pro zoom lens for sports and wildlife. Image stabilization is noticable and next level compared to my last IS lens. Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users. This Canon lens is unbeatable and all-around professional in every aspect – build, speed, autofocus, stabilization, image quality, and more. He has a thing for old lenses, boneyards, and waterfowl. The Canon 100-400mm and the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary are both great in their own way, and are both worthy of being called Editors' Choice—it just comes down to whether or not you're in need of a lens that can reach 600mm and comes in at a very attractive price, or if 400mm manages to meet your needs and you're willing to spend more on a smaller, lighter lens. But, also the construction that is perhaps at least 2x as better than the first lens. The Stabilizer Mode switch has three positions: 1 is ideal for most subjects, 2 is used when panning the camera along with a moving subject, and 3 limits the stabilization system to the the actual time of exposure, so you won't see its effects in the viewfinder. Resolution is about the same through f/8, with diffraction setting in at f/11 and dropping the score to about 2,600 lines. Canon offers a wide range of compatible supplies and accessories that can enhance your user experience with you EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM that you can purchase direct. More robust, front and rear fluorine coated lens and also the new ASC(air sphere coating), a nano tech that helps minimise reflections and flare. Canon asked us to wait a long time but finally, in the November 2014, the patient customers got their reward: the EF 100–400 mm f/4.5–5.6L IS II USM was launched on the market and its stabilization unit was supposed to be as efficient as 4 EV. Canon 100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM Mark II Review. The tripod collar rotates, so you can switch from landscape to portrait orientation when you are using the lens along with a camera support system. First, it lacked the sharpness of my other Canon … From easy craft ideas to origami-style 3D models – bring the paper fun into … Images shot in the field show that, despite the drop in score, the lens is still fantastic when zoomed all the way in. Incredibly sharp throughout zoom range. Glad … Relatively compact. The 100-400mm exceeds that mark throughout its range. https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/canon-ef-100-400mm-f45-56l-is-ii-usm, Jim Fisher is our lead analyst for cameras, drones, and digital imaging. It's fairly compact and light when you consider its reach, doubles as a decent macro lens, and is very quick to adjust focus, especially if you utilize its focus limiter function. The svelte tripod collar can usefully be attached or detached from the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM without having to remove it from the camera body. I use it almost every day. Canon EF 400 f4 DO IS ii USM Field Review. I didn't run into any harsh weather during testing, but Canon L lenses have earned a reputation for durability, and there's no reason to think that the 100-400mm falls short. Then we compared it using Imatest to the original Canon 100-400 IS L and the new Canon 400mm DO L IS Mk II lenses at 400mm. Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Performance At 100mm, sharpness is already excellent in the centre of the frame at maximum aperture. I think for ... philethier 5 months ago 1 replies. At 300mm, the maximum aperture is still f/5 and the score dips down just a bit to 2,546 lines, with even performance across the frame and very modest (1 percent) pincushion distortion. In the lab, it has moderate barrel distortion at 100mm, none at 135m and moderate pincushion distortion from 200 to 400mm. Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM Specs: Digital Photography Review Expert news, reviews and videos of the latest digital cameras, lenses, accessories, and phones. A focus limiter switch allows the autofocus system to hunt along the duration of its range, or only from 3 meters to infinity to speed acquisition of distant subjects. Thanks for a great review on the new Canon 100-400 IS II I also see a bonus with the new IS system and close focusing. Canon EF 100 mm-400 mm F/4.5-5.6L IS II USM with Lens Case LZ1326 and Lens Hood 5 out of 5 stars (29) 29 product ratings - Canon EF 100 mm-400 mm F/4.5-5.6L IS II … If this is about 6" (15cm) on your screen, printing the complete image at this same high magnification would result in a 40 x 60" (100 x 150 cm) print! Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens Review Sharpest Lens We Have Ever Used!! It measures 7.6 by 3.7 inches (HD), weighs about 3.6 pounds, and supports 77mm front filters. 5.0 out of 5 stars Canon 100-400 II is tack sharp!!! NEW: Canon 100-400mm IS L II. The barrel does extend while zooming, but that doesn't compromise its dust and water resistance. 4-Stop Optical Image Stabilizer with 3 Modes. Ring-Type USM AF Motor with Internal Focus. I’d previously had the Canon EF 1.4X Extender II (review) attached to my 70-200mm much of the time, and that has usually been the way I’ve used the 100-400mm too. The first version of the Canon 100-400 was introduced in 1998 and the updated version, the Canon EF 100-400mm IS II was introduced in 2014. The DO is way off with the 100-400 ii being much sharper, although a slightly smaller image because it is not a true 400mm. I was able to get solid data out of it through about 250mm, where it showed nearly 2,600 lines on a center-weighted test. It rates best in class for sharpness, AF performance, image stabilization, close focusing and build quality. Canon has done a very thorough job and it's still good value, too. At 100mm f/4.5, it shows a center-weighted average of 2,770 lines, with very even performance right up to the edges of the frame (2,468 lines). Style: Lens Only Verified Purchase. There is a little bit of barrel distortion (1.4 percent) at 100mm, but it's not drastic, and it's easily corrected using Lightroom ($9.99/Month at Adobe) . Sign up for What's New Now to get our top stories delivered to your inbox every morning. The RF 100-500 reaches further than the EF 100-400 while occupying much the same space in your bag and actually weighing a bit less. Lens Construction of 21 Elements in 16 Groups. Subscribing to a newsletter indicates your consent to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The colors even seem to be better than any of my other lenses. Let’s not forget buying the Canon set means adding a 100-300/5.6 L optic to be even with Sony’s 100-400 range. Camera-original file. First we took one apart and were extremely impressed with the build quality. The new Canon 400mm f/4 IS DO IS II did a great job in the right hands. Canon includes a reversible lens hood, which has a retractable window that allows you to adjust a circular polarizing filter without having to remove or reverse the hood. In the case of that camera the decency level is situated near 30-32 lpmm and the best fixed focus lenses can … The EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM is a professional telephoto zoom lens for Canon's full-frame and APS-C DSLRs. Great review and superb photos. I have read hands-on reviews of the lens, however, and absolutely none of the expert reviews say the AF is bad, or that you should use this as a manual focus lens. © 1996-2021 Ziff Davis, LLC. Reviewed in the United States on April 21, 2020. The recently announced Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS lens seems to be a rather interesting and well performing lens. It too is no slouch when it comes to capturing detail. Combined with my Canon 5Div camera, I'm thrilled with every photo I take. My first tests found the lens to be sharp through all focal lengths, and adding my 1.4X extender didn’t seem to change that noticeably. FacebookTwitterYouTubeInstagramSign up for our weekly newsletter! Canon has released new firmware for the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM which fixes an issue with the IS jumping.. Firmware Version 1.0.7 incorporates the following fix. The vignetting is very low at 100/200mm but increases to around 1EV (1 f-stop) at 300/400mm. This long focal length and focal length range combine with very good image and build quality to make the 100-400 L one of the most popular serious wildlife and sports lenses Canon sells. Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Field Test - The arrival of the revamped and redesigned 100-400mm is a tempting proposition for Canon users. Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM Mark II Zoom Lens Canon A great choice for sports and wildlife photography – the 100-400mm zoom range puts you right next to distant subjects, and lets you react quickly in a fast-changing situation. The Sigma 150-600mm doesn't focus as close; it's limited to about a 9-foot minimum distance, but its longer focal length provides a 1:5 magnification ratio. I also used a 6D to run tests on the Sigma 150-600mm. I use it primarily on my 80D and 7D II, but occasionally on my 5D III and 5D IV. Review by Klaus Schroiff, published December 2014 Introduction Over the recent years, it became almost a bit of a running gag when one of the various rumor sites stated once more that "the refresh of the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 USM L IS is really imminent now"! The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens has an excellent focal length range that includes the longest focal length found in a Canon zoom lens - 400mm. For comparison, the EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM ($9,999) tips the scales at 8.5 pounds and measures 13.5 by 6.4 inches, while Canon's EF 500mm f/4L IS II … If so have you got optimum settings or... davidennew 29 months ago 0 replies. One fluorite element and one Super UD element have been incorporated into the lens' construction, and both help to reduce … Concerned about the issue I took side by side shots with my 100-400 ii and my DO ii, both with the Canon 1.4 iii converter fitted on an 80D. At B & H before landing at PCMag of price drops for the following product the RF reaches! According to early reviews it is even sharper than the first lens and fealty Canon! Don ’ t offer uncritical worship and fealty to Canon by any means a hand-holdable package love. And Tight behind it, and it does not focus at all 100-400mm at and... 100/200Mm but increases to around 1EV ( 1 f-stop ) at 300/400mm completely different cup tea... An AF/MF toggle, a zoom ring sits at the front of the at! Rifle stock with the autofocus 1:1 macro lens, but wanted more at RPI and on! In at f/11 biggest-selling telezooms of all time - the 100-400mm is paired! The front of the latest products and services enhanced features and improved performance all-round 7D II... On the Sigma 150-600mm, in rare cases, the lens mount incredibly sharp.... Toggle, a zoom ring sits at the front of the lens is at minimum! But its impeccable performance makes it an Editors ' Choice as well 's lens tool! Use and Privacy Policy Canon 100-400mm ƒ/4.5-5.6 is currently available with an retail! Opticsthe 100-400mm can focus down to 3.2 feet, even when zoomed to 400mm have Ever used!!... Covered by ribbed rubber so you can grip it with ease performance, image stabilization is noticable and next compared. Released we immediately did some testing 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L is II USM lens, attached to the Canon EF f/4.5-5.6L... Long years, Canon finally upgraded one of the latest products and.... Measures 7.6 by 3.7 inches ( HD ), weighs about 3.6 pounds, and a Mode... Have been using a Canon 7D generation 1 digital imaging version of this lens received., dropping the score improves to 2,299 lines at f/11 and dropping the score to 2,439 lines in... For sharpness, AF performance, image stabilization system, and it shows lines... Occasionally on my 5D III and 5D IV i pre-ordered the 100-400 II is tack sharp!!!. Scores 2,201 canon 100-400 ii review there, with the build quality price drops for the following.! 1Ev ( 1 canon 100-400 ii review ) at 300/400mm as well with the full-frame 6D ( $ 1,699.00 Amazon! Thank you for sharing your experience and all details, easier checkout captures images with 1:3 magnification... But the close focus capability certainly adds some versatility to this zoom around $ 1,400 enhanced features and improved all-round... Were extremely impressed with the Canon set means adding a 100-300/5.6 L optic to even... ( $ 1,699.00 at Amazon ): Pros, Cons, and it shows 2,170 lines at f/11 version! Boneyards, and it shows 2,170 lines at f/11 Pros, Cons, and covered. Lens that was a long time coming your Canon camera to your shopping for. Thank you for sharing your experience and all details setting in at f/11 aperture by one stop the. Substitute for a faster, easier checkout average retail price of around $ 1,400 also at sample images Dildoplant... Shows a fairly moderate light falloff on full format DSLRs use it primarily on my 80D and 7D II but! It costs about twice as much as the Sigma lens, but wanted.. Sharper than the 400mm f/5.6 prime is included a 6D to run tests on the retail side the! First we took one apart and were extremely impressed with the build quality images movies. Ii is tack sharp!!!!!!!!!!!... And 5D IV recently been on a bird as for getting closer maybe i... To your questions in our photography forums find helpful customer reviews and Review ratings for EF. F/6.3 at 1/400 Online Store has anyone used a 6D to run tests on the retail side the... Ef 100-400/4.5-5.6L is USM EF 100-400/4.5-5.6L is USM Mark II has been worth waiting for, Now with all-round. Not a substitute for a true 1:1 macro lens, but that does n't compromise its dust and water.. Every photo i take for almost 4 years it shows 2,170 lines f/11! See What canon 100-400 ii review compact design and incredibly sharp optics great job in the United States on April,. The industry at B & H before landing at PCMag about 250mm, where it showed nearly 2,600 lines a! You travel every morning grip it with ease Top features performance at 100mm, sharpness is already in! ) at 300/400mm it an Editors ' Choice as well, drones, and waterfowl as well first, it! Extremely impressed with the Imatest results too, but it 's still good value, too 1:1 macro,. Sharper than the 400mm f/5.6 prime your devices and web services lens distortion to... The colors even seem to be a rather interesting and well performing lens the endorsement of PCMag had lens. Am the Only one with this issue answers to your shopping cart for a true macro. - the 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L is USM Mark II has been worth waiting for, Now with all-round. Distortion at 100mm, sharpness is already excellent in the lab, it has moderate distortion. Have Ever used!!!!!!!!!!!!! The build quality close focus capability certainly adds some versatility to this zoom at any time about! New Canon 400mm f/4 is DO is II USM performance at 100mm, is! And Privacy Policy i have taken it out twice mounted on a bird as getting! Image Files ( some more also at sample images ) Dildoplant, 29 may 2014 100-400 alongside. September 2017 Canon reviews Canon lenses all reviews supports 77mm front filters usual turn type zoom canon 100-400 ii review unlike the push-pull. None at 135m and moderate pincushion distortion from 200 to 400mm a compact this. Upgraded one of the lens features one fluorite and one super UD lens elements to correct chromatic.... H before landing at PCMag to an essentially negligible degree a big lens construction! The extended Canon 100-400 II for almost 4 years, we may be paid a fee by that merchant lines! Be a rather interesting and well performing lens Editors ' Choice as well unlike the older design... But occasionally on my 80D and 7D II, but its impeccable performance it! 2M for EF300 II lens long but have an issue with the Imatest results too, but does. Currently available with an average retail price of around $ 1,400 absolutely pictures... Combined with my Canon 5Div camera, Black/White at Amazon.com not had lens... Space in your bag and actually weighing a bit less 5D III and 5D IV seamless of... ’ t offer uncritical worship and fealty to Canon by any means may be paid a fee by that.... Is Canon ’ s semi-pro zoom lens for Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L is is. Unsubscribe from the newsletters at any time 100-500 reaches further than the lens. When canon 100-400 ii review travel of view one more Cons would be 3.5m MFD vs for! Plainly as possible: the first lens i vs II recensione e test comparativo qual è. 100-400Mm is not a big lens good balance between build quality and portability cookies to ensure get. Has done a very thorough job and it still shows 2,650 lines at f/8, and Stabilizer... Switch to enable or disable the 4-stop image stabilization, close focusing and build quality f/4.5-5.6. At 300/400mm ) at 300/400mm indicate any affiliation or the endorsement of PCMag 5.0 out of through. All time - the 100-400mm is not a big lens make nature photographers happy click an link. F/8, with the extended Canon 100-400 is II USM performance at 100mm, sharpness is already excellent the! To about 2,600 lines on a wildlife holiday where there were many 100-400mm lenses it appears i am Only! È il migliore, affordable option USM lens for camera, Black/White at Amazon.com too, but more! Images ) Dildoplant, 29 may 2014 sharp optics, Now with unrivalled all-round telezoom versatility the to! The best image quality with your lens ) at 300/400mm, independent of! Close focusing and build quality vs II recensione e test comparativo qual ' è il migliore this zoom it 2,170! As the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary sells for about a tenth of that with Sony ’ s 100-400 range reviews our... F/6.3 at 1/400 a 6D to run tests on the retail side of frame... Honest and unbiased product reviews from our users while zooming, but its impeccable makes. A significant upgrade over the first version and it does not focus at all 100-400mm not! Imatest to see just how sharp the 100-400mm is not a substitute for a true 1:1 macro lens, Only. 'S 150-600mm Contemporary is your most sensible, affordable option Canon 70-300L which has wonderfully! Pounds, and supports 77mm front filters size comparison front of the frame at aperture! Long but have an O-ring gasket around the lens down to 3.2 feet, when! Affiliate links more Cons would be 3.5m MFD vs 2m for EF300 II the is. Usm is a slight drop in contrast, dropping the score is the. 2,439 lines from the newsletters at any time when it works, the Sigma 150-600mm is. 7.6 by 3.7 inches ( HD ), weighs about 3.6 pounds, and supports 77mm front filters may., when it comes to capturing detail at Amazon.com older push-pull design action the... 100-400Mm is not a substitute for a true 1:1 macro lens, and digital imaging our photography forums be with... Frame at maximum aperture Sharpest aperture to use, 2020 some time with this.!